U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: o you feel like the weather conditions are more extreme compared to what you can remember ?
Yes, the winters and summers are getting more extream. 44 41.51%
No, we are seeing typical summers and winters. 55 51.89%
Other, (explain) 7 6.60%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:33 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,382,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Here in Northeastern Penna, we're going through the roughest winter since at least 1994, but I'm old enouh to remember that one, and several in the late Seventies and Eighties that were on a par with it. In '94 we had over 200 inches of snow -- nothing like that this time around -- and a small "bubble" of Arctic air that broke loose and drove temps down to about -15 F, but only for a short time; coldest we've gone so far is -5.
YES that 1994 PA weather was a doozy.

I had a puppy in the beginning of Dec. Good luck housetraining him on all that frozen ice. A nightmare.

The snow plows plowed our HOA cul de sac in and I was stuck in the house for 2 weeks.

I also got 4 flat tires commuting home one night in it on NJ Turnpike ice like a dope. I should have stayed at the office or a hotel. All 4 belts in the tires broke.

I also remember as a kid in the 1960s we had snow storms that you could jump off your roof and only go down about 8 feet into a drift. AND we ALWAYS kept our turkey outside the week or two before Thanksgiving to save fridge space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 09:09 PM

25,345 posts, read 16,290,366 times
Nope. I remember the 70s in Buffalo all too well. Look up the Blizzard of '77 for some context. Weather is weather, some summers are warmer, some cooler. Some winters snowier, some mild. Buy some snow tires, cut a little firewood and move on.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:47 AM

7,625 posts, read 13,987,763 times
Yes, and now.

I think that there are certainly sections of the country that are seeing "100 yr events" as they like to call them with certain snowfalls, ice overs, and rain type events, but at the same time, I see a total loss of the wonderful thunderstorms I experienced as a child during the spring/summer months. Seems that there use to be a lot of them every spring and fall, but not so much now. All in the same city, so it is not like a change of location might have created it. These 100 yr floods (heavy, nonstop rain) are happening WAY more than every 100 yrs...not that old! LOL

Old 02-24-2015, 07:19 AM

3,723 posts, read 1,669,188 times
Not only don't I remember weather being less extreme, it wasn't less extreme. It's the same as it always was.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:56 AM

13,418 posts, read 5,212,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Yes, and now.

I think that there are certainly sections of the country that are seeing "100 yr events" as they like to call them with certain snowfalls, ice overs, and rain type events, but at the same time, I see a total loss of the wonderful thunderstorms I experienced as a child during the spring/summer months. Seems that there use to be a lot of them every spring and fall, but not so much now. All in the same city, so it is not like a change of location might have created it. These 100 yr floods (heavy, nonstop rain) are happening WAY more than every 100 yrs...not that old! LOL
The 30 year ENSO cycles could explain that. Your part of the world gets far rainier, cooler weather with El Niños. Those were favored by the thirty year cycle starting in 1977 (but not really biting until fall 1982) and ending somewhere (it's disputed) between 1997 and 2007. If it did end in 2007 the ending and thus increase in thunderstorms, decrease in all-day rains would only start taking about now.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:40 PM

1,936 posts, read 2,729,615 times
Go to Weather Underground, put in your city and you can see weather history going back many years. I played around with it a good bit when someone was saying that weather in my city had "never" been like that before. I saw streaks where it had been a lot colder for 5 or 10 years, then warmer, etc. So I don't see any clear pattern that it's just changing in one direction.

Weather History for Sacramento, CA | Weather Underground

Old 02-25-2015, 04:04 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,844,129 times
Here in Maine we are set to finish the month with the coldest average temperature on record this weekend. Something must be going on. I don't remember snow like this since back in the 60s/70s. Many others that I have spoken to say the same thing....

Old 02-25-2015, 06:19 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
Same as DauntlessDan - I have been here for 35 years and this is a lot colder and more snow than I have ever seen for this location. It reminds me of Upstate new York in the 1960's. Our condo's are plagued with snow clearing issues like where do we put the stuff and many, many ice dams.

It looks like we will have another two or three more severe storms in March and at least one in early April. The Siberian Express bring the cold will just not quit.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:44 AM

8,992 posts, read 7,083,311 times
Not really.
However, the weather does seem to be returning to the way it was in the late 1940s/early 1950s.
But, admitting that is like saying that the weather is cyclic, and the climate alarmists CAN'T admit THAT!
It is what it is, though, whether the weather is convenient to your beliefs or not.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:13 PM

1,936 posts, read 2,729,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Not really.
However, the weather does seem to be returning to the way it was in the late 1940s/early 1950s.
But, admitting that is like saying that the weather is cyclic, and the climate alarmists CAN'T admit THAT!
It is what it is, though, whether the weather is convenient to your beliefs or not.
YES!! A "pattern" isn't just a couple of years.

We had the Medieval Warming Period, then we were cooling from around 1350 to 1850 (Little Ice Age), now we're warming again. When we get done warming, we'll start cooling again.

When you're looking at patterns involving hundreds of years, I don't see how any scientist can look at a 20 or 30 year period and claim anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or