U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: o you feel like the weather conditions are more extreme compared to what you can remember ?
Yes, the winters and summers are getting more extream. 44 41.51%
No, we are seeing typical summers and winters. 55 51.89%
Other, (explain) 7 6.60%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 03:05 AM

11,269 posts, read 12,527,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculator View Post
What's different is that cars never used to have the dark windows to shield from the sun. Probably because it wasn't as necessary as it is today.
Or, window tint simply didn't exist before.

Quote:
Also sun blindness wasn't a known occurrence as it is now. You know, when the reflection from other cars blind you from the sun as well as being blinded from the sun itself.
Of course it was. The Inuit in northern Canada have been making snow goggles for a very, very long time to protect against snow blindness.
And it has never, ever, in the history of mankind, been a good idea to stare at the sun. Ever. lol

The Thule

Quote:
Sometimes at night, it's not really that dark. That was never the case before, when you couldn't see in the dark outside.
That's called light pollution. It's from, well, electric light in cities. If you're out in the country, or the woods, if you can see, it's either moonlight shining the way, or your eyes have adjusted to the star light. On a cloudy night, again, it's light pollution being reflected from the lights, on to the clouds, and back to the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 03:23 AM

163 posts, read 87,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Or, window tint simply didn't exist before.
I did think of that as I was writing it, but, if the need was there, it would have been invented sooner. Necessty is the mother of invention.

Quote:
Of course it was. The Inuit in northern Canada have been making snow goggles for a very, very long time to protect against snow blindness.
Sure, for people who live in Alaska.

Quote:
And it has never, ever, in the history of mankind, been a good idea to stare at the sun. Ever. lol
Ha, ha, made me laugh.

Quote:
That's called light pollution.
Nah, not talking about light pollution.

Quote:
if you can see, it's either moonlight shining the way, or your eyes have adjusted to the star light.
Star light. I like it. But like Rudolph's nose, can it really guide your steps? Sometimes it's light when the moon's not out.

Quote:
On a cloudy night, again, it's light pollution being reflected from the lights, on to the clouds, and back to the ground.
Very good explanation for a different phenomena.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:33 AM

563 posts, read 354,887 times
Yes, I have lived in Coastal Southern California for 35 years. The weather is defiantly more extreme. Hottest summers for14 out of 15 summers in a row. That is a fact. We are in the middle of a massively severe drought. There was very little snow this winter. Wake up people! Just an FYI, this is where a huge percentage of food in America, is grown! I do not think the news is lying. I live not far from some of lake/reservoirs here in So Cal. To say that they are low on water would be a lie. To say that these water reserves are gone or nearly gone, would be much more accurate. It is not your problem if you live in the Mid-West or South, it probably doesn't concern you yet. But as soon as California is taken out of the equation of food production/farm/ranch related goods, you may began to care. Expect food prices to increase substantially. You might be thinking, "that doest effect me," cause I live in (name your state), and we have lots of farms and ranches. The demand for all farm/ranch produced goods will be majorly affected because California is not able to produce enough to feed a huge chunk of America, as it always has, California will find itself having to compete for food grown in other states. This increased demand will drive up prices across the board. California, which has always been the largest exporter of food in the US, will now become the largest importer of food. I am talking about domestic import and export with other states.

2015 could be a rough year.

On the cooler side? Ironically, it is a very cool May here. The weather gets cold at night and is mild during the day. It is a welcome change. So, from where I sit, the weather is unpredictable.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:48 AM

38,653 posts, read 15,482,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
.... But as soon as California is taken out of the equation of food production/farm/ranch related goods, you may began to care. Expect food prices to increase substantially. You might be thinking, "that doest effect me," cause I live in (name your state), and we have lots of farms and ranches.
Food is grown in California because of cheap subsidized water and no regard for what that is doing to the local environment. (See the Salton Sea as an example) Now that it is gone, and the environment can't take anymore, the farming will simply move to other places where it makes more economic sense.

The warmer climate simply means there is more winter farmland available in the SE where there is plenty of water.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:53 AM

11,269 posts, read 12,527,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculator View Post
I did think of that as I was writing it, but, if the need was there, it would have been invented sooner. Necessty is the mother of invention.
It was invented for the Apollo space program, as far as I know.

Quote:
Sure, for people who live in Alaska.
Radiation from the sun is radiation from the sun. And a bright, flat, snow covered landscape as far as the eye can see, and a clear blue sky is going to be just as bad as the sun bouncing off a car.

Quote:
Ha, ha, made me laugh.

Quote:
Nah, not talking about light pollution.
What then?

Quote:
Star light. I like it. But like Rudolph's nose, can it really guide your steps? Sometimes it's light when the moon's not out.
Sure. If you're out in the dark long enough without any light to mess with you, your pupils dilate to take in as much ambient light as possible. You may have noticed, either through movies, or being a soldier, the use of red lights in flashlights to observe a map, for example. Red light doesn't bother the eye as much in the dark, so a soldier is able to keep the night vision he has gained through out the night.
This is the same reason Pirates would wear a patch on one eye. If down in the hold, with bright lanterns and such, coming on deck at night, they would have to wait and allow their eyes to adjust to be able to see properly. So, just flip up that eye patch once on deck, and expose the eye that has been in the dark!

Quote:
Very good explanation for a different phenomena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or