Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 01:22 PM

137 posts, read 173,983 times

Advertisements

It's soapwash. Get it? Instead of brainwash. Thank goodness most people, esp. women, do not "stink". It's just one of those things we've "learned" from decades of non-stop TV commercials about BO. "You need to bathe often and buy our soap. It works. The others don't."
And yeah, I know there will be people who get on here to testify that they know people who really stink and need to bathe twice a day and all that. But those people are the exception and not the rule.
I shower every day before I go to work. But on my days off, if I am not going to see anyone, I skip the showers until the day before I go back to work.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:23 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I work from home in Colorado. The lack of humidity and the fact that I sometimes don't leave the house for days means I'm not too obsessive about showering. Now, when I'm back in my home state of New Jersey, I'll sometimes shower twice a day - I never feel clean there due to the humidity.

A few years ago, I rented a room to a guy who came out from the East Coast. I remember when he said to me nervously one day "Not to be gross, but when you first came out here, did you find that you didn't necessarily need to shower every day?"

I laughed. He had gone a couple days and then realized he hadn't taken a shower. When you're in NJ or PA or a state with similar humidity, there's no forgetting to shower! You just feel gross if you don't.

Now, if I'm going out of the house, I shower for sure. But if it's just me at home working in front of the computer, and I haven't worked out at all, I'm not too anxious to jump in the shower.
That's it. Summer and humid, shower. January and on the couch with bronchitis, don't worry about it.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:28 PM

52 posts, read 50,590 times
I am surprised nobody mentioned the incredibly relaxing aspect of the hot/cold shower cycle yet! You don't have to think about "have to go shower". You just enjoy it, so of course you do it daily (at least).

Nothing beats the purifying feeling in the shower when you gradually warm up the skin pores with -eventually- super hot water and then cool 'em down with the progressively colder water.

It's similar (although not as intensive), as if you go into proper steam finnish sauna for 30 minutes, and then jump/dive into the cold water. The endorphin dose, courtesy of your brain, is phenomenal !

Especially in summer, I noticed if I use just the cold water for the shower (e.g. as cold as it gets), it adjusts my bio-thermostat, and I can go on without sweating for couple more hours, even though everybody else around glitters from sweat.

BTW, what is this "humid NY" thing ? Granted, I'm in New Jersey (though just 5 miles from Manhattan), but both the summers and winters are pretty mild in here. Definitely not humid. Maybe some southern parts of Jersey get humid ? Haven't been to CT, so can't really compare, though...

Old 02-23-2015, 01:32 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Don't feel sorry for him......you're definitely in the minority. Dirty privates are in no way fun or exciting.
Dane Cook, huh?

I'll go ahead and continue to feel sorry for him. I know I'm in the minority. We're all so consumed with erasing traces of being biological machines, animals, juvenilized apes. I like to embrace it. Works for me and I get no complaints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
There's also a difference between someone smelling like they didn't shower because they stink and someone smelling like they didn't shower because they don't smell like soap. If anything, that's what people pick up on - someone smelling like a body instead of a manufactured "fresh water" scent
Very good point. I want a person to smell like a PERSON. Not a bunch of chemicals. Not some weird desparate scentless wonder.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:48 PM

743 posts, read 832,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Dane Cook, huh?

I'll go ahead and continue to feel sorry for him. I know I'm in the minority. We're all so consumed with erasing traces of being biological machines, animals, juvenilized apes. I like to embrace it. Works for me and I get no complaints. Very good point. I want a person to smell like a PERSON. Not a bunch of chemicals. Not some weird desparate scentless wonder.
Just so we are clear, you purposely don't clean yourself so you can smell more like a caveman? Maybe you took that natural pheromones stuff a little too far lol

Old 02-23-2015, 02:00 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I certainly wouldn't want to be with someone who can't even be bothered to shower regularly.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:01 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Well you know the environmentalists would likely say that they're saving water.

So maybe it's not a bad thing...

It's a problem if they're stinky pinky.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:01 PM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
Just so we are clear, you purposely don't clean yourself so you can smell more like a caveman? Maybe you took that natural pheromones stuff a little too far lol
you must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JobSeeker101 again.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:03 PM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Well you know the environmentalists would likely say that they're saving water.

So maybe it's not a bad thing...

It's a problem if they're stinky pinky.
Pardon my ignorance, but I'll assume "down there" is likely to smell pretty bad after a day or 2 without washing?

Old 02-23-2015, 02:06 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
He gets no complaints though! Like someone is really going to say "Hey, you stink!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events