U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:09 PM

8,455 posts, read 6,249,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
This I will agree with. Murder is premeditated and I'm sure the officer did not intend to kill an innocent bystander.
Just clarifying on this.. Murder does not have to be premeditated.. In fact, in many jurisdictions this is the difference between death or life in prison and in some, it's the difference between "First Degree Murder" and just plain Murder.

Premeditation means that you planned to murder someone.

Just plain old murder without premeditation would be a 'heat of the moment' type thing. Guy comes back to his house and finds some guy in bed with his wife.. He strangles him to death.. He didn't plan to murder him.. But, he is dead, and by strangling, he intended to kill him.. So, he's guilty of murder.. But rarely, if ever, would someone in that situation receive a death sentence.

I think you just meant murder required intent.. Which is accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 04:34 PM

8,108 posts, read 5,603,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Just clarifying on this.. Murder does not have to be premeditated.. In fact, in many jurisdictions this is the difference between death or life in prison and in some, it's the difference between "First Degree Murder" and just plain Murder.

Premeditation means that you planned to murder someone.

Just plain old murder without premeditation would be a 'heat of the moment' type thing. Guy comes back to his house and finds some guy in bed with his wife.. He strangles him to death.. He didn't plan to murder him.. But, he is dead, and by strangling, he intended to kill him.. So, he's guilty of murder.. But rarely, if ever, would someone in that situation receive a death sentence.

I think you just meant murder required intent.. Which is accurate.

Someone with a clean past in that situation rarely gets a life sentence.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:18 PM

8,455 posts, read 6,249,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Someone with a clean past in that situation rarely gets a life sentence.
Agreed. Most likely they get 20 years.. Which, so far as I know, is the lowest end for Murder anywhere in the US.

One thing I'm not sure about.. Guy jumps out his window on the 54th floor of a hotel.. You're on the 15th floor.. You shoot at your wife, she ducks, the bullet goes out the window and hits the guy who jumped in the head and kills him instantly, which is a second and a half before he would have died by hitting the pavement.

Who is guilty of what?

This is actually a law school question or something like that.. I honestly don't remember the answer to it.. One of those situations that, lets be honest, could never happen, but.. a cute "What if.."

Old 02-25-2015, 08:39 PM

10,801 posts, read 4,362,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Agreed. Most likely they get 20 years.. Which, so far as I know, is the lowest end for Murder anywhere in the US.

One thing I'm not sure about.. Guy jumps out his window on the 54th floor of a hotel.. You're on the 15th floor.. You shoot at your wife, she ducks, the bullet goes out the window and hits the guy who jumped in the head and kills him instantly, which is a second and a half before he would have died by hitting the pavement.

Who is guilty of what?

This is actually a law school question or something like that.. I honestly don't remember the answer to it.. One of those situations that, lets be honest, could never happen, but.. a cute "What if.."

Ronald Opus never lived. And his death will never die.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:02 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,090,852 times
its our fault, we give cops absolute power, and now we are paying for it.instead of criticizing them when do something wrong we mindless praise them for every little thing ,they beat the crap out of someone and they get paid leave, and the entire justice system is heavily biased in their favor,so what do you expect them to act like???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or