U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 03:12 PM

7,797 posts, read 5,364,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
What's wrong with waiting around till they leave the house, then tail them? Or set up a van with a camera and get to know the guys routine and apprehend at an appropriate time. You know, good old police work. Not as much fun for the cops I guess...

Also if this was so dangerious, why do they bring along a camera crew? Why the hell does police work have to do with entertainment?

It's like they the cops have an incentive to keep up the ratings with more flash and bang. Seriously, I wonder how we got 'here'.
I agree with what's in bold, but I believe this is the same reason journalists and more travel to the middle east in war times. It's all about money for them.
I don't think media crews should be allowed to tail police that way, as I believe it affects cops' behavior, one way or another.

As for waiting around or tailing them, considering the guy was hiding in the house, it is very unlikely he would have just visibly come out of the house.

Last edited by Arcenal352; 02-23-2015 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 03:18 PM

7,797 posts, read 5,364,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Wrong house. Did you read the article? The correct unit was on a different floor.

Regardless of what happened, you don't go shooting a 7-yr old on the head when the occupants of the house did not resist arrest.
Yes, I read the article. It was a "duplex". Same building, just wrong floor.
I agree with the bold part.

And for the record, I definitely believe he should have been at least charged with reckless discharging of a firearm.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:51 PM

30,560 posts, read 9,135,387 times
This OP still doesn't know the definition of "murder."

He must be one of those anti-government Freemen--they hate the police, too.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:23 PM

3,348 posts, read 5,818,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
So... avowed police hater posts story from liberal website... then doesnt agree with the VERDICTS delivered by several bodies

I wish I could hang my suspects.. but.. I actually like the law...

Poor little girl.. daddy was a murderer... no justice ..no peace.. opps.. hes in jail
So you're just fine with someone murdering an innocent child because (1) the person who killed her was a cop and (2) her dad wasn't a good person?

Wow. Just wow.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:26 PM

3,348 posts, read 5,818,409 times
Quote:
What's wrong with surveillance, tailing and apprehending in a safe, controlled manner? Really, what exactly is the advantage to busting into a house, throwing in a flash bang grenade and shooting off a few rounds from a sub machine gun, when you can't see what your hitting?
More of a testosterone rush. They can feel like they're on a military raid.

I'm only half-joking. This is exactly what happens when you start blurring the lines between police and military.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:30 PM

20,979 posts, read 15,638,830 times
Quote:
From the website linked above..

I guess some think murdering an innocent, sleeping child is fair game in a military style raid.

Why the HELL do we allow this style of raid to even happen. Grenades, sub machine guns, really? WTF!?

I guess waiting out front for the suspect to leave the building (i.e. surveillance) isn't as much fun as playing war and killing kids.

This madness has to end.
I don't see a single word in your post about the murderer who brought this upon them. Therein lies one of the problems with lefties.....they rarely take responsibility.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:52 PM

11,437 posts, read 7,443,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Cop murders 7yo girl NOT GUILTY
Well, if he's not guilty then it wasn't murder, was it?

Old 02-23-2015, 05:03 PM

11,402 posts, read 6,813,802 times
Whenever I see a thread that begins with the tommyrot about "murdering cops", it tells me everything I need to know.

Of course it's tragic that an innocent 7-year-old got caught in an ugly situation. But the fault lies mostly with the irresponsible people fouling her neighborhood ... and quite possibly with the drugs and other forms of corruption that are destroying our former working class.

Society needs to be identifying and locking up its riffraff at an earlier age, confining them to places where they can't get out and liquor, drugs, and Leftist lawyers can't get in, working them long and hard in order to furnish more of their upkeep, and not clearing their records just because they reach a certain age.

It is not the responsibility of the taxpayer to clean up after these losers forever.

If that creates a semi-permanent underclass, sorry about that, But just maybe, a hard choice is the only thing that might straighten out the portion which are not beyond redemption.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-23-2015 at 05:14 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 05:41 PM

9,084 posts, read 5,423,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yes, I read the article. It was a "duplex". Same building, just wrong floor.
I agree with the bold part.

And for the record, I definitely believe he should have been at least charged with reckless discharging of a firearm.

A "Duplex" is two separate living units. They have different mailing addresses, different electricity bills, different families living in them.

If you are supposed to go to Duplex B but you rang the door bell to Duplex A, you are in fact at the wrong place.

At the very least, when the cops got to the building and saw there were two entrance doors and they didn't know which one, they should have checked first because entering and firing.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 PM

8,205 posts, read 6,037,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Do you believe these murderers would have simply opened the door and surrendered if a regular cop walked up, knocked, and yelled "POLICE!?" VERY unlikely. Rather, some kind of shootout would have likely occurred, as these guys were armed, and obviously unafraid to kill innocents. Chances are, more than one person would have been killed.
But that's exactly what happened. They went upstairs and arrested him without incident. So.. Apparently they could have just knocked on the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
So you're just fine with someone murdering an innocent child because (1) the person who killed her was a cop and (2) her dad wasn't a good person?

Wow. Just wow.
The wow part is the number of people who don't have a clue what murder means. Murder means there must have been intent to cause death. "Malice aforethought" is the legal term.

At worst, not being fully familiar with Michigan's statutes.. This would wind up being something along the lines of negligent homicide, or involuntary manslaughter.

It's also important to remember that the cop was NOT found innocent. He wasn't even found not guilty. It was 2 hung juries and the state gave up. The lovely part of our legal system.. You know that Ken Lay of Enron is an innocent man in the eyes of the law? He died before his trial, so.. Never convicted of a crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Society needs to be identifying and locking up its riffraff at an earlier age, confining them to places where they can't get out and liquor, drugs, and Leftist lawyers can't get in, working them long and hard in order to furnish more of their upkeep, and not clearing their records just because they reach a certain age.

It is not the responsibility of the taxpayer to clean up after these losers forever.
Someone went along this thought in a Great Debates topic not long ago.. Their basic thought, which it seems you're somewhat advocating here, was that if you committed a felony, you got a life sentence.

That's a nice, happy thought.. Until you do the math on it.. I broke that down, using figures from Florida.. State taxes would be approximately $4250 per person, assuming that everyone who was not in prison was paying taxes. that's state taxes alone.

Quote:
The best example I can come up with is using disenfranchised voters in Florida.. Florida removes the right to vote on felony conviction, so that gives us some real numbers to work with here..

Florida has 1.5 million disenfranchised voters.. So, that's roughly the number of people who would be in prison under your plan. That's 10.5 percent of the population. Numbers are varying.. But $30k is about what it takes to lock up a prisoner for a year (More for higher security, less for lower).. Make it $35k considering the aging population you have to care for, since these are all life sentences.. So.. That's $52.5 billion.. Seriously? is that right? Yep.. $52.5 billions dollars for Florida to pay out.. On a population of 14.7 million. Minus out the 1.5 million in prison, that leaves you with 13.2 million taxpayers to cover that 52.5 billion.. That comes out to a state tax bill of just shy of $4000 per person, per year. And there's a buttload of assumptions there. We could take out the 6% unemployment in Florida.. That cuts the 13.2 million sharing it down to about 12.4 million.. Now that's about $4250 per year.. Just for the prisons. You still haven't paid anything for schools, EMS, all that other stuff your taxes pay for. And that's JUST the state tax.. Haven't even paid the feds yet.. And, hey.. Feds have prisons, too..
That was the calculations I did there.. Now, if you consider 20% of the population in Florida is under 18.. That cuts the number sharing that cost down to 9.1 million.. Which sends that state tax bill to almost $6000 per year, JUST for prisons. So.. Locking more and more people up isn't necessarily the answer. Focusing on who we lock up would be better.

Better idea is lock up the ones that need to be locked up for longer times.. And use alternative sentencing for those who don't. Take Bernie Madoff as an example.. Is there any good being done by him being locked up and on the taxpayer dime right now? Not really.. Sentence him to the rest of his life building homes for Habitat or similar 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. Prison "Camps" I don't understand the logic.. If someone can be housed in a place that doesn't need a fence.. Do they need to be housed in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or