U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2015, 02:21 PM
 
2,784 posts, read 2,579,110 times
Reputation: 3727

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Seems to be a common theme playing the blame game going on in this case. Let's get the facts out there.

Aiyana's father was a thug with a long rap sheet, and the fact that he had a firearm means he should have been in prison. So he provides an illegal firearm to another thug and that thug murders someone. Now Aiyana's mother and grandmother are well aware of this and still let him in the house with them, knowing full well this alone puts them all at risk. Yet you think they are free and clear of blame in this ? Unbelievable.

"Both Owens and Charles Jones had extensive criminal pasts. In 1995, Owens was charged with breaking and entering and faced charges for escaping from prison. In 2005, he was charged with unlawfully driving an automobile. Jones was charged in 2001 with two counts of unarmed robbery. In 2004, Jones was charged with fleeing and eluding police while driving a stolen vehicle. The charges were later dropped. Jones never actually spent time in jail, and instead cut a deal with prosecutors and was placed on probation"

As far as the actual events that took place you nor I have the details of what really transpired. 3 juries couldn't agree on a conviction so all we can do is go with that.

Who's really to blame here ? Maybe it is the system, scumbag lawyers cutting deals and letting thugs back out on the street. Had he been in prison, where he belonged this would not have happened, had Aiyana's mom wised up and not put herself and her daughter in the thug life this would not have happened. Yet you focus on the LEO's putting themselves at risk everyday to make the city safer as the blame.
This is a perfect example of why we don't need more laws, what we need is to enforce the ones we have and not let laywers bargain their thug defendans out of prison.
I'm not a soft of crime type. But 40 years for providing a gun seems a little excessive, especially when they've already killed your innocent daughter in the process. Most get WAY less time for actual murder. How about that afluenza case down south eh!?

I don't blame the individual cop(s) as they are just doing their job (except they do mess up from time to time and should be held accountable). The laws that allow SWAT teams to raid private residences is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2015, 02:26 PM
 
2,784 posts, read 2,579,110 times
Reputation: 3727
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You just can't see it can you. They (LEO) would not have been there had they not been pursuing murderers (baby daddy and his friend), it's as simple as that. Thug life can be dangerous to you and your family. It's not a safe profession.
Yep you're right! That little seven year old with her brains splatted all over the room, should have made other life choices.

Guess it's all her fault for having a thug for a father. She should have made a u turn as a sperm. Silly little sperm wasn't thinking ahead. Yep she practically painted a target on her head. She sure won't be making that mistake again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 02:34 PM
 
9,132 posts, read 5,684,368 times
Reputation: 5283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
I'm not a soft of crime type. But 40 years for providing a gun seems a little excessive, especially when they've already killed your innocent daughter in the process. Most get WAY less time for actual murder. How about that afluenza case down south eh!?

I don't blame the individual cop(s) as they are just doing their job (except they do mess up from time to time and should be held accountable). The laws that allow SWAT teams to raid private residences is the problem.
Now I do agree 40 years seems like a lot, but it is quite possible that his priors and the fact that providing that firearm caused a string of events that lead to his daughter being killed might have played into it.
I am a law abiding citizen but also don't like the "no knock" raids. Being legal firearms owner , I'm going to take someone kicking down my front door as a threat to my family and myself and will react accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 02:38 PM
 
9,132 posts, read 5,684,368 times
Reputation: 5283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Yep you're right! That little seven year old with her brains splatted all over the room, should have made other life choices.

Guess it's all her fault for having a thug for a father. She should have made a u turn as a sperm. Silly little sperm wasn't thinking ahead. Yep she practically painted a target on her head. She sure won't be making that mistake again.
I just love how you just skirt right around the obvious... had her mother made different choices with her life , either not getting knocked up by a thug or not letting two of them around her and her daughter, little Aiyana would be alive today. She was to young to make better choices, that is why a parent needs to have enough sense to keep their children out of harms way. Come on now, I know you can see it....

Getting hit by a drunk driver, is a completely random thing. Having your home raided by the police for harboring two wanted felons is not.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 02-24-2015 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
9,601 posts, read 9,443,938 times
Reputation: 9211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
You give us all a bad name.
Erm, no, I do not. You do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
First off, everyone here is pretty much admitting that the officer ******* up. It's even agreed that he definitely SHOULD have been charged.
Then why wasn't he? That is the point. The only point that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Once again, BLACK LIVES MATTER, yes, which is why I raise my children PROPERLY, so that stupidness like this DOES NOT happen to us.
As a black child growing up, I was always taught to reach higher than average, because as a black youth, we were subject to stereotypes, and weren't expected to succeed. It was our job as individuals to rise above the challenge and become upstanding citizens.
Oddly enough, unlike Mr. Jones and Mr. Owens, I do not live in poverty in the ghetto, I do not have multiple felonies on my record (no record whatsoever), I do not live in fear of police barging into my home, I do not live in a tiny home shared with some 7 or so people... That is what Black Lives Matter should mean. We have a responsibility to do our utmost to be upstanding citizens, and to provide for our families in ways that WILL NOT expose them to police raids, gun-trotting felons, large, multi-parent split families.
Really? Black people are not allowed to be criminals (or unwed parents) because they will (and should?), be prosecuted for misdemeanor crimes that are dismissed for white people, receive sentences that are four times as long as for white people for serious crimes, and black men (and women) should expect excessive force to be used during their arrests... ... you defend this? Just saying... I'm not a gangbanger either. Does it sound like I might be? My children are all in college as we speak. Very good colleges. I grew up in the ghetto but I don't live there anymore and my children have never seen that side of life. If anyone should be acting holier than thou, it is I. But I won't do it. Because black lives matter, and at 20 paces no one can tell that I am "one of the good ones". So I don't play that card. Not IRL nor here on C-D.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 02:49 PM
 
2,784 posts, read 2,579,110 times
Reputation: 3727
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I just love how you just skirt right around the obvious... had her mother made different choices with her life , either not getting knocked up by a thug or not letting two of them around her and her daughter, little Aiyana would be alive today. Come on now, I know you can see it....
Yes, her mother and father could have made different life choices, but they are not the ones who were shot dead.

However a seven year old girl is basically along for the ride. She had no say in being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Having thug parents, does not make what happened, the least bit OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
7,813 posts, read 5,374,696 times
Reputation: 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Erm, no, I do not. You do.



Then why wasn't he? That is the point. The only point that matters.



Really? Black people are not allowed to be criminals (or unwed parents) because they will (and should?), be prosecuted for misdemeanor crimes that are dismissed for white people, receive sentences that are four times as long as for white people for serious crimes, and black men (and women) should expect excessive force to be used during their arrests... ... you defend this? Just saying... I'm not a gangbanger either. Does it sound like I might be? My children are all in college as we speak. Very good colleges. I grew up in the ghetto but I don't live there anymore and my children have never seen that side of life. If anyone should be acting holier than thou, it is I. But I won't do it. Because black lives matter, and at 20 paces no one can tell that I am "one of the good ones". So I don't play that card. Not IRL nor here on C-D.

H

I do, because I point out the realities we have to face?
I'm not defending anything. You have poor comprehension skills.
First, you accused all of us of being white and not knowing the repercussions that blacks have faced (and continue to face to an extent) today. I must be white for having an opinion that differs from yours? Lol.
For the record, I am COMPLETELY AGAINST the Zimmerman verdict. It is my belief that racial stereotypes played a huge part in that case.

This is much different. These guys were known felons with extensive criminal backgrounds. When you live that sort of lifestyle, you subject, not only yourself, but your entire family to danger. You're from the ghetto, as you say. So you should be well aware of the high risks involved with street life.

I started off by indicating that, no, I'm not white. And despite being black, I am not living in fear of police brutality and S.W.A.T. raids, because I've made the choice to live an honest life free from crime.

If blacks don't like the stiff penalties imposed by our courts, then DON'T LIVE A LIFE OF CRIME. Since we are so well aware of the injustice in our "justice system," why is this gangbanging lifestyle still being glorified? Why would women get with these men who put their whole families at risk, and then go ballistic when potential consequences turn to realities?

MY POINT was that I grew up KNOWING how we can be perceived by others, ESPECIALLY when we don't make the effort to stand out. Knowing this, why WOULDN'T we try to eliminate the stereotypes that we face?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 02:55 PM
 
9,132 posts, read 5,684,368 times
Reputation: 5283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Yes, her mother and father could have made different life choices, but they are not the ones who were shot dead.

However a seven year old girl is basically along for the ride. She had no say in being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Having thug parents, does not make what happened, the least bit OK.
Ahh, you are getting it. You are correct, it is not the least bit okay. Any intelligent mother would have told the uncle and the dad to get the F out or would have grabbed the daughter and left. She is just as negligent as the officer was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 02:57 PM
 
9,132 posts, read 5,684,368 times
Reputation: 5283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I do, because I point out the realities we have to face?
I'm not defending anything. You have poor comprehension skills.
First, you accused all of us of being white and not knowing the repercussions that blacks have faced (and continue to face to an extent) today. I must be white for having an opinion that differs from yours? Lol.
For the record, I am COMPLETELY AGAINST the Zimmerman verdict. It is my belief that racial stereotypes played a huge part in that case.

This is much different. These guys were known felons with extensive criminal backgrounds. When you live that sort of lifestyle, you subject, not only yourself, but your entire family to danger. You're from the ghetto, as you say. So you should be well aware of the high risks involved with street life.

I started off by indicating that, no, I'm not white. And despite being black, I am not living in fear of police brutality and S.W.A.T. raids, because I've made the choice to live an honest life free from crime.

If blacks don't like the stiff penalties imposed by our courts, then DON'T LIVE A LIFE OF CRIME. Since we are so well aware of the injustice in our "justice system," why is this gangbanging lifestyle still being glorified? Why would women get with these men who put their whole families at risk, and then go ballistic when potential consequences turn to realities?

MY POINT was that I grew up KNOWING how we can be perceived by others, ESPECIALLY when we don't make the effort to stand out. Knowing this, why WOULDN'T we try to eliminate the stereotypes that we face?
Pretty much this in a nutshell...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Self explanatory
10,349 posts, read 4,153,613 times
Reputation: 14308
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Ahh, you are getting it. You are correct, it is not the least bit okay. Any intelligent mother would have told the uncle and the dad to get the F out or would have grabbed the daughter and left. She is just as negligent as the officer was.
lol, yeah, but if the mother killed her daughter, she'd be in jail. See how that works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top