U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:44 PM

24,885 posts, read 11,599,261 times

Advertisements

Its fascinating to me that so many of the arguments against mj revolve around things that occur because it is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 01:57 PM

468 posts, read 431,884 times
Live and let live. I am all for liberals smoking their brains out, zonking out and leaving everyone alone. Those that do not want to be healthy and be total veggies, go for it. It is called culling the herd. BUT, we also need tax reform, as in Fairtax, which is a consumption tax, so I don't get taxed because politicians cannot screw around with taxation. Whatever the consumer spends is what they get, period. So there won't be much left to pay for others health choices.
If booze is legal why not everything else. The weak killing themselves off. Natural selection. Culling the herd.

Natural high, is healthy living.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:00 PM

2,762 posts, read 2,622,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I'll never understand the people who demonize weed. It's less dangerous than alcohol but somehow it's evil.

Of course it's evil, smoking to much will make protest wars that no-one really needs.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:14 PM

468 posts, read 431,884 times
Default Safer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

Putting smoke down ones lungs is not safer than...............anything, but hey propaganda is what is news today.

Smoke destroys the alveoli = ( "At the end of the bronchioles are tiny air sacs " ) you are "fini."

But, when you consider GMO foods is a killer, Flouridated water, is a killer, Government sponsored aluminum chem trails dropped on cities, is a killer, WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE if "marihuana is safer, than originally thought."

Oh, and lets not forget the daily bombs dropped all over the earth daily......must be real good for the enivirons! Oh, wait climate change!!..the real cause of climate change..............real news corporate TWP wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.

So really who cares if Marihuana is safe or not.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:29 PM

5,644 posts, read 4,898,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
Live and let live.
Quote:
I am all for liberals smoking their brains out, zonking out...
Most don't though. Many use it, as ocnjgirl mentioned, the same way they might have a glass of wine. Some use it, like I've mentioned, only every five or six or eight weeks. To each their own.
Quote:
Those that do not want to be healthy and be total veggies, go for it.
You can be quite healthy and partake of cannabis from time to time. I'm 40 and haven't had a cold in five years and have under 12% body fat and feel great.
Quote:
The weak killing themselves off.
Nobody's dying. Nobody's weak because they use cannabis.
Quote:
Natural high, is healthy living.
But still a high, no? We are our neurotransmitters. They create all our perceptions, feelings, our consciousness, our memories. Our brains are full of a complex electrochemical stew. It's quite possible to get "high" without exogenous molecules that cross the blood-brain barrier. My question is what is so exalted about that? Why is that just fine but supplementing now and then with this or that molecule is suddenly not healthy living? I think of these molecules as tools. Enhancements. Dissociatives, Cannabinoids, Tryptamines, Phenethylamines, Empathogens.

Anyway, I appreciated your post and hope you didn't take any of my comments as any sort of attack.
Quote:
Putting smoke down ones lungs is not safer than...............anything...
Oh it's surely safer than many things. But THC and other cannibinoids can be consumed several ways that don't involve applying heat to combust it into smoke.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:49 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
[quote=notmeofficer;38591198]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The last link in a series of links that notmeofficer posted attempting to prove that grows damage the environment talked about mold, spores, etc from indoor grow ops.

Interesting.

The "study" (and I use that word loosely, because a "study" can mean "some guy wrote a thing full of his opinions"--and it is also admitted that a couple of anti-drug coalitions were involved in this, so it's biased) says that those crazy growers are diverting utility pipes and lines to hose plants with carbon dioxide, thereby burning fuels that fill the house with carbon monoxide (because obviously, same difference right?)

When I saw that I was ready to completely disregard the entire article.

But by all means, let's talk about how it's child abuse, since we grow a little (less than what we are allowed by law, just enough for my husband's medicine)...and I have 2 teenage sons in the house.

My utility bills for my 5 bedroom house are not really higher than they used to be. We have a lamp and a fan going on the plants. They are locked in a closet, in a room that is also locked. All mj and paraphernalia is kept locked up...not so much because I think my sons would use it, but because they sometimes have friends over. Why take the chance? Nothing is smoked in the house, ever.

Also, the article says that our house is probably full of chemicals, related to growing, so about that...

We don't use pesticide of any kind. I have no idea why we would want to. There aren't even bugs in this state, really. We do use a fertilizer. It's potted plant soil. So why don't you talk about how every person who keeps potted houseplants is abusing their children? Heck, some houseplants are actually poisonous. And I doubt that we have mold problems in the driest state ever. Four people showering daily generates more moisture, encouragement for mold, than the occasional misting of the couple plants in the closet of the locked room.Now I am sure, ABUNDANTLY sure, that it is possible to grow pretty much anything in a manner that would be harmful to the environment. Notmeofficer is using this only because it's a talking point in an argument, not because he's hot to get out and hug all the redwoods. If a legal agricultural corp came in and cleared a few hundred acres of forest land (legally, having bought it or whatever) it would not be an issue. If they dumped fertilizer in a nearby aquifer, it would not be an issue. Clearcutting in the Amazon, not an issue. The abuses of the petrochemical industry, up to and including oil contaminations and leaks going on daily are not an issue, even knowing that industrial hemp could supplant our need for many products that currently come from the petroleum process... It is just one more buzzword in the diatribe. I believe notmeofficer when he states that some growers in CA are abusing the land.

Actually my friend I am so far outside any mold you think about policemen you are clueless...

I consider the environment an integrally important part of my job as much as I do protecting people
I personally care for animals.. I dont eat them.. I was raised a vegan.. still am..I grow biodynamically.. we produce most of our own food.. I am grid tied.. I walk the walk... do you?

It is child abuse to expose people who dont have the sense of ability to know better.. your children for example.. you may be raising children who will find drug use an acceptable norm in their lives.. it is not and will close many doors for them.. bu you have chosen to raise them this way and when avenues of opportunity are closed for them it will be because you are their parent did it... they wont pass drug tests if they use.. they wont pass backgrounds if your situation is investigated.. they will be barred for potentially truly important work

You may be one of the "good guy growers" and truly understand organics and try to comply with it. I have huge issues with the damage being done to our land and community.. we were getting so many complaints EVERYDAY with skunkweed smell and traffic all hours of the day and night all of this went into the ordinance that was crafted as people said no thanks to marijuana culture

Power calcs are what PG and E provide us as norms.. for example.. just had a guy who buried a 40 foot cargo container on his property so we wouldnt see it from the air.. but he was using so much power it was easy to discern it wasnt residential use... so I call bunk on your assertions about power use.. most grows are getting pretty sophisticated here and they run those lights 24/7.. and do all the other goodies to make those babies grow.. and they grow 365... we track water truck usage.. landscape materials/ fertilizers etc.. and a thousand other things that tell us illegal activities are occurring... well they MAY be occurring.. when you arrive a house and there is tin foil on all the windows of the mobile and there's kids running around in dirty diapers and the skunk smell is so strong you cant breathe,, yea.. healthy family living and environ... NO WAY..

Your kids cannot choose for themselves.. you made the decision for them that can affect their lives forever... bad choice...

Ive heard it all that before and when the pot harvest is at risk what we experience on the street is that in MOST cases people will do what they have to in protecting it.. perhaps mJ isnt that important in your life and if it goes ok.. great.. and you wont play with nature.. however if past behavior from the majority of growers is evidence at some point you will stray from your " marijuana values"
"if my situation is investigated" they won't pass background checks?

What?

First of all, if we were in trouble with the law over this, which we won't be because we're in COLORADO, how would the kids' background checks be compromised by what their parents were doing? If anything, if we weren't doing this properly, they could be removed from our home. But again, as we are in a state where it's legal for us to do what we're doing, unless the Feds decide to storm the castle over our couple of plants, we should be fine.

My kids have lived in a house where my husband was given serious pain drugs by doctors. They do not think those pills are a "norm" that they can just DO, in fact we all realized when he started acting funny that he couldn't just do them either. Read up on the side effects and realized that they cause "suicidal thoughts and actions." Got him off that poison right quick.

My kids CAN think for themselves and make their own choices. Which is why, even though we live in a state where it is LEGAL, they get fair information from me discouraging them from use. Sure, their Dad thinks it's fine. And for him, since he is weak enough not to be able to cope with life as a sober person, it's his best alternative. But he has no motivation. And our many friends who do it...a number of them are not employed. A fact that I've quietly pointed out to my sons. My older son has asthma and should never smoke anything, ever. Although at this point it's well controlled so he really doesn't have symptoms, he is aware that if he smoked, it could really damage him. My youngest has a lot of ambition to accomplish many things, and I've explained to him how using pot could harm that drive.

I don't use the stuff.

And anyone who thinks kids will automatically do what their parents did is an idiot. I watched my Dad drink and drive, drink and assault other people, and drink and generally act like a jerk, through a significant part of my childhood. Guess who has never been drunk in her life? This chick right here. Sometimes the best lesson is in what not to do.

I'll never argue that pot is a miracle plant with no possible drawbacks. I have seen people function just fine as occasional or daily users. But I've also seen the bad outcomes (which in my experience, absent other mitigating criteria, are generally far milder than with alcohol, but they still can occur in some percentage of cases and should be faced with open eyes.)

I don't think my sons are going to be interested in using cannabis. But you know what? If they did, I would be a lot less alarmed, than if they were to take up drinking or smoking tobacco. My job is to show them what you can accomplish, and what an awesome life you can have, on no drug or booze at all. How you can abstain without judging, or being judged.

And frankly what you have seen of drug culture in your community is nothing like what I see every day. I know one person who defends their significant grow op like you describe. I know a lot more people who just buy it from dispensaries, or grow a plant or 2 for personal use, the way we do.

And I promise you, I know what I'm talking about with our power usage, as I do energy management analysis for a living and I've got spreadsheets of my utility data like you wouldn't believe. Also, by the by, any grower could tell you that you never leave the lights on 24/7. You've got to cycle them to trick the plants into thinking it's day and night. "Shocking" them with light during the dark cycle can kill them. We're not pros, but our 12 on/12 off plan has been working pretty well.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:54 PM

19,237 posts, read 11,133,504 times
Palin banned brownies in Wasilla - but hear those can be harmful

Old 02-25-2015, 08:46 PM

17,203 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Quote:
Putting smoke down ones lungs is not safer than...............anything, but hey propaganda is what is news today.

Smoke destroys the alveoli = ( "At the end of the bronchioles are tiny air sacs " ) you are "fini."

But, when you consider GMO foods is a killer, Flouridated water, is a killer, Government sponsored aluminum chem trails dropped on cities, is a killer, WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE if "marihuana is safer, than originally thought."

Oh, and lets not forget the daily bombs dropped all over the earth daily......must be real good for the enivirons! Oh, wait climate change!!..the real cause of climate change..............real news corporate TWP wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.

Except it hasn't been necessary to put smoke down your lungs for some time now, since vaporizers became readily available. There is no smoke with vaporizers, it's more like an e-cigarette, comes out as vapor.

Even so, cigarettes are still much worse, and I don't see anyone proposing that people who smoke cigarettes should go to jail for having them. That is the point - most people feel those who smoke cigarettes do so at their own risk, and as long as they aren't allowed to smoke them near you or in public places, you don't care what they do at home - people say "if they want to kill themselves, that's their problem".

Most people also couldn't care less if people choose to sit home and drink themselves into liver failure, that's certainly not healthy, yet no one is proposing alcohol be banned again.

Yet with pot, it is different - many people here are arguing smoking it should be a crime and using the fact it may be unhealthy as the reason...in the case of marijuana users, you DO care what we do in our homes.
IMO it is total hypocrisy to be okay with one person being labeled a criminal for using what you see as an unhealthy substance (pot) yet not a person who makes other other unhealthy choices like booze. No one I have asked has answered this, what is the difference, and why would you be for legal availability of one but not the other? Instead you've deflected with stats about public safety on the roads and health, when again that is not the point, again. since the same can be said of alcohol and other legal substances people choose.

Remember, we are not debating whether people should smoke or not smoke, since clearly having it illegal doesn't stop anyone from getting it..we are debating criminal policy, should this be a crime?

Even if I did agree mj is unhealthy and agreed people shouldn't smoke it, I still wouldn't agree people who do choose it should be a criminal because of that choice.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:47 PM

1,256 posts, read 874,206 times
So I'm moving from Weed State #2 to Weed State #3?

LOL! Not like it matters, I can't tolerate the stuff anymore anyway

Old 02-25-2015, 11:09 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,138 times
Quote:
That's a whole lotta crazy in one post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events