U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:37 AM

11,484 posts, read 4,857,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
4 down.

Nice to see another state using pragmatic solutions to cannabis. Congrats, Alaska!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 01:17 PM

5,663 posts, read 5,152,852 times
Marijuana may be even safer than previously thought - The Washington Post
Quote:
What is unique is how these substances are treated under the law, and particularly the way in which alcohol and nicotine essentially get a free pass under the Controlled Substances Act. Legislative classifications of psychoactive drugs often lack a scientific basis.

Given the relative risks associated with marijuana and alcohol, the authors recommend "risk management prioritization towards alcohol and tobacco rather than illicit drugs." And they say that when it comes to marijuana, the low amounts of risk associated with the drug "suggest a strict legal regulatory approach rather than the current prohibition approach."

It takes extraordinary chutzpah to rail against the dangers of marijuana use by day and then go home to unwind with a glass of far more lethal stuff in the evening.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:08 PM

660 posts, read 573,932 times
Charlo Greene (formerly of KTVA)
is going to be in the green very soon.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:45 PM

3,351 posts, read 5,942,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

Does anyone else see the glaring problem here ? Attacking someone whose life is focused on keeping people safe vs. pursuit of a drug that's numbs conscious behavior?
Except that, by your own admission, your job is not to keep people safe. It's to enforce laws, whether the laws are just or not, whether they destroy innocent lives or not. And it's to generate revenue for the state and your department.

People would have a lot more respect for cops if cops would actually focus on fighting real crime, rather than harassing innocent people over private choices. If someone is driving erratically, pull them over. You might indeed get a DUI off the road. Otherwise, leave people alone who aren't harming anyone else. Don't invent new excuses for harassing people.

You are supposed to serve the public. The public is not an enemy for you to subdue. I think far too many LEOs take that attitude now. As I've said many times, our foreign policy mindset is coming home to roost, sometimes in very dangerous ways.

(P.S. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I've never smoked weed in my life.)

Old 02-24-2015, 05:17 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,408,781 times
Narcotics use... trafficking... destruction of the environment... child abuse...and every other crime associated with marijuana.... is real crime

Old 02-24-2015, 05:18 PM

6,958 posts, read 19,116,988 times
Quote:
Wow,, reality.. you are out of touch... I wonder where you live.. Im in the emerald triangle...
I'm curious when Redding and Shasta County became part of the emerald Triangle?

I'm not even sure if one drew a line from Del Norte down to Calaveras and back over to Santa Cruz if your area would even come close to being in it. I do know you would hate to work for the Sheriff in my county, even in the jail. He predicts the legalization next year for CA and so do 55% of the voters in the state.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:38 PM

419 posts, read 1,041,451 times
Quote:
I wish I didn't have to worry about criminals... in your smoke filled haze you have that luxury

I will be happy to accept your correction and apology

My buddy passed his CDL Class A driving exam 5 minutes after he smoked a huge blunt, the examiner must have been in a smoke filled haze, too.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:42 PM

20,309 posts, read 16,482,846 times
Quote:
I wish I didn't have to worry about criminals... in your smoke filled haze you have that luxury

Does anyone else see the glaring problem here ? Attacking someone whose life is focused on keeping people safe vs. pursuit of a drug that's numbs conscious behavior?

Please try reading more carefully when I post and you comment negatively.... I spoke about BC AND impaired driving

I don't create human problems I do my best to mitigate their effects upon others...perhaps myopathy clouds your vision

Alaska has so many open spaces and so few people it will potentially be affected by legalization less than other states... hard to grow... easy to use in the winter when people won't potentially travel

The environmental damage from mj growing has been clearly documented... it will be interesting to see how Alaska deals with it

I will be happy to accept your correction and apology
This is what annoys me so much. You know nothing about mj or what it's like, or you'd know it relaxes your body but makes you MORE conscious, not less. I don't drive high, but if I did, I'd actually be twice as slow and cautious than I normally am. Your life is "focused on" 1930's propaganda based on fallacies.

In any case, I don't even see the point of what you're arguing, since driving while impaired is illegal and will always be illegal, so what is it you're so panicked about if this spreads? Or do you think that the people who would and do drive impaired are currently not able to get mj, so that makes you safer?

Just as people argue against gun control because it only keeps guns out of the hands of ordinary citizens and only criminals would own them, so it is with mj. It is not teens who want to go out joyriding who legalization will benefit. If anything it'll make it harder for them to get than it is now, because legal mj tends to be quite a bit more expensive than it is when illegal. So again, if people who want it can get it now quite easily, what exactly is it you're worried will change? What is it you are really arguing for, do you even know or are you too attached to the argument to see it objectively?

Old 02-24-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Narcotics use... trafficking... destruction of the environment... child abuse...and every other crime associated with marijuana.... is real crime
The real crime is we have people like you patrolling the streets. I would be scared to death if I were you, walking up to some person's window when they are high on marijuana there's no telling what that crazy person might do. Sorry, officer, the majority of the general public already figured out your reefer madness propaganda was completely out of touch with reality.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Still have to pass a drug test for work. They'll get you one way or another.
Yeah, unless you have a police union behind you that doesn't allow cops to be tested. I guess carrying guns around all day doesn't fit into the " safety sensitive" category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events