Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times

Advertisements

Once facts start coming out people's opinions change. Not surprising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 12:16 AM

743 posts, read 831,770 times
There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Marijuana is THE LEAST harmful drug on the planet. Big pharma would rather kill you with their 1 million different overpriced pills. They need to make billions profit per year after all.

Am I a mary jane advocate? No. I simply observe and state the facts. Tobacco (I smoke) and alcohol (I drink) kills 1000x more than marijuana ever freakin' could. You either agree, or you haven't observed reality.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:14 AM

869 posts, read 1,124,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
MJ doesn't impair one's motor functions anywhere near as bad as booze. And the impairment it does have only lasts for the first hour after smoking. Furthermore, when you are blazed out of your mind, driving is not a activity you look forward to doing. It's scary, you are paranoid, super careful, drive slow and obey the law so you don't get pulled over.

In short, MJ is not a big issue with regards to driving.
Yes drunk drivers are likely to blaze by a STOP sign at 70MPH while potheads tend to not drive fast.

They tend to drive very slow in fact. Thats if they move at all, they may stare at that STOP sign for 15 minutes to contemplate its meaning in the cosmos.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:55 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Yes drunk drivers are likely to blaze by a STOP sign at 70MPH while potheads tend to not drive fast.

They tend to drive very slow in fact. Thats if they move at all, they may stare at that STOP sign for 15 minutes to contemplate its meaning in the cosmos.
I would never argue that someone should drive under the immediate effect of cannabis. I would like more testing done to see the actual difference in impairment between the occasional (more recreational) user, and the person who self-medicates daily on it, because I think there is a difference. And also I would be curious about the differences in impairment with different strains (indica, sativa, higher/lower THC content)....but I won't argue that anyone who is "high" probably should not be behind the wheel. I will argue though that they're a lot less likely to want to try and drive, compared to a drunk person.

The danger I imagine with the stoned driver is in the weird time-warp effect. I remember when I used to smoke (granted, it was AGES ago) I would go up and make food. It would take 5 minutes. I felt like I was up there for hours and my friends would be sending a search party any time. I'd reach out to pick up an object and get confused about how long it took my hand to move from here to there, or where exactly the thing was positioned. Time and space perception was a little bit off. I can imagine driving along, all paranoid and slow, and someone or something running out in front of me, and being seriously confused about something like the stopping time of my vehicle. It's not so much reckless driving like a drunk person, it's wonky reactions I'd be worried about.

But all of that I describe doesn't seem to happen with my husband when he smokes. Nor does he giggle or get the munchies or ramble about weird topics of conversation, he really acts very normal. So either it's a difference in the stuff I used to smoke as a teenager and what he's getting now...or it's a difference in daily use versus sporadic use...or more probably elements of both.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:15 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
5 nanograms gets you an automatic per se DUI
As intoxication increases accidents double... and recognition.. perception and reaction time are all increasingly severely impaired. Even basic field sobriety tests, which discern the ability to have divided attention, are difficult for even mildly high users... I see this 100 times or more a month.. yes folks.. AT least 100 times .. I test at probation class as well... chronic users are so easy to spot.. the dopey droopy slowness is readily apparent.. instructions have to be repeated.. blank stares from the respondents... Its like no one is home....

Since THC DOES stay in the fatty tissues it is reasonable to assume that tolerance grows (and is supported by evidence)... so even when you think you are OK.. because you feel Ok.. because you/your body have started to adapt.. it still impairs you and more importantly puts you over the limit...

There is ZERO tolerance for DUI drugs/ DUI alcohol in my book.. every one is a potential murderer armed with a 4000 pound steel bullet... I can take one and be back on the road in under 60 minutes...

When we have roadside testing for MJ.... whooo hoo make our day... watch the DUI arrests go up.. as it should be

If you toke 'da weed dont move the steed!!!!!

A PSA from your friendly local police....

Old 02-27-2015, 06:22 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
chronic users are so easy to spot..
Chronic *abusers* you mean.
Quote:
If you toke 'da weed dont move the steed!!!!!

A PSA from your friendly local police....
Okay, that made me chuckle.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:40 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Quote:

Since THC DOES stay in the fatty tissues it is reasonable to assume that tolerance grows (and is supported by evidence)... so even when you think you are OK.. because you feel Ok.. because you/your body have started to adapt.. it still impairs you and more importantly puts you over the limit...

!!!!

I have a question
Do you know if this in with relation to being able to test pot in the hair?
Believe it was going back 90 days one can.
Test it from the roots.

Cause yes, it does stay in the body for some time.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams12 View Post
Why don't you understand that opening marijuana use to our general population would encourage use of stronger plants with more effect on the brain chemistry?
Yep, I have thought the same too.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:36 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams12 View Post
Why don't you understand that opening marijuana use to our general population would encourage use of stronger plants with more effect on the brain chemistry?
Because I have seen no evidence of anything like that happening, and I've never seen evidence that using "stronger plants" would alter brain chemistry. If anything, legalization leads to much more diversity in the types of plants and blends, some actually lower in THC, and much purer in terms of additives.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Because I have seen no evidence of anything like that happening, and I've never seen evidence that using "stronger plants" would alter brain chemistry. If anything, legalization leads to much more diversity in the types of plants and blends, some actually lower in THC, and much purer in terms of additives.
There is a whole lot of world out there other than you, ocnjgirl.

Your "I" stance is very very narrow .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events