U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 05:04 PM

14,856 posts, read 18,886,436 times

Advertisements

I've had people follow me around, walking and by car.
Nothing new... comes with our color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 05:14 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,145,901 times
Yes, shoplifting or committing crimes while shopping is grounds for getting arrested, next question please.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:17 PM

6,742 posts, read 3,890,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Yes, shoplifting or committing crimes while shopping is grounds for getting arrested, next question please.
Deflection always helps.

2,004 posts, read 1,145,901 times
The police do not need to greet you with a smile, they aren't there to coddle you or be your friend. In fact, they don't have to even acknowledge your existence unless you break the law. Most people go through their entire lives never having to speak with a police office yet other seem to attract them like flies.

9,565 posts, read 13,417,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Store refused to show this 'evidence' to either the woman or the police officer who accompanied her to the store after she initially left the store.

No excuses.
At our store we aren't allowed to show video to suspected customers because if it turns out the suspect in the video is not the same person seeing the video, you have now violated the privacy of the person in the video.
Why they refused to show it to the cops is something else, maybe the mgt doesn't have the authority to do so. Maybe permission has to come from someone higher up the food chain. Who knows, the only thing I know is that the media rarely gets all the details.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:30 PM

3,043 posts, read 2,008,127 times
All I know is, when I'm in a store, and I know that there are cameras everywhere, I'm not going to take any chances to steal, period! Now, given the many cameras - and the electronic merchandise sensors - if some overzealous rent-a-cop stops me and accuses me, I'm telling him/her and the store manager: "Sure, you can check me, but while you're doing so, I'll be on the phone with my lawyer, 'cause once you see that I'm clean - and you will see that I'm clean - I'll have your names, store number, etc. and we will be resolving this matter in a courtroom!"

Old 02-24-2015, 05:34 PM

34,809 posts, read 42,955,485 times
This is BS. Do you think the profiling has no basis? It was created for a reason....a history of a lot of blacks shoplifting.

Here in Savannah, I am guilty of being white on a Tuesday, since the government and majority population are black. Nobody cares about that, though. Black on black crime is rampant, and yet, I'm supposed to feel like its somehow my fault.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:36 PM

6,007 posts, read 13,211,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
okay, thanks for stating the obvious. Now, going back to the actual subject of the thread which features stories of several people who committed NO CRIME AT ALL, what's do you have to say about that?

I don't know if this is a case of "all black people look alike" or these stores just looking for a reason to suspect someone of a certain color so use other alleged incidences as proof, but either way, these stores look guilty as heck.

Incidentally, I've worked at quite a few retail stores, from grocery stores to high end retail selling Cartier and La Mer and, SOLELY BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, here is what I've discovered:

-Older, white women were, BY FAR, the most likely to shoplift. Without a doubt, they even surpassed teens (they didn't come in as often as teens, but ratio wise, they were the most likely to steal). I found this to be across the board of stores I've worked in, from grocery and clothing up to electronics and higher end goods.

-Older, Asian women, most often than not immigrants, were the MOST likely to lie about prices. They would bring something up to the register (most often at the grocery stores I worked at) and would claim that ITEM XYZ wasn't the $5 that came up but was advertised as being $1. At one store I worked at, the managers were so gung-ho about pleasing the customer that they never questioned it when a couple of people fitting this description did this. But after investigation, they would discover the blatant lies. It got to the point that employees were told to never take a customer's word for it when there's a price discrepancy and to check the price (which invariably holds up the line and slows everything down). Oh, and they were the most likely to make a scene, insisting that they were right, and walking off without buying anything at all

-Teens of all ages and races/ethnicity suck. It doesn't matter if they look like stereotypical African American "hood rats" or Japanese "Harvard-bound" brainiacs, the one thing that all had in common was that they were all suspicious and often flat out thieves. If anything, the quiet, suburban types were slightly more likely yet it was often the inner city kids who were watched.

-Men were least likely to steal and more often than not, were very obvious. I can't recall a single time at my job where a straight-laced looking, employed man of any race stealing (it was more often homeless looking bums, teens, and a couple of "bro" college guys stealing booze once). On the other hand, I've seen women wearing business suits get brought in to the security office

Again, the above is based solely on my experience from working at nearly a dozen different stores and is not meant to be reflective of entire races and groups of people. If anything, my point is that, while "shopping while black" IS a REAL thing (have been a victim of it myself; when you work in retail long enough, you know when you are being watched by employees!), it's hard to attribute shoplifting to one specific race, at least it was based on my experience. YMMV, especially depending on your location (all of this was mostly in Boston and Chicago). Maybe, in the Portland area, the majority of the shoplifters are black women so this has tainted their judgement. I've always thought it was funny that, while security is so busy watching me, they are ignoring other potential suspects.

Better to just be suspicious of everyone acting suspicious, regardless of race/ethnicity/age/gender/income level/etc.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:39 PM

240 posts, read 197,839 times
It's mistaken identity. Big deal. It happens. Does that mean someone needs to be sued?! My God, do people have nothing better to do with their time than sue other people over stupid stuff? And to make it worse, the masses rise up from their armchairs shouting "Racism!"

Old 02-24-2015, 05:40 PM

671 posts, read 621,611 times
Cry me a river.....Call the store manager,notify them and don't shop there anymore...There are always two sides to a story but as a person I wouldn't shop there anymore. People are people and everyone runs from smart to stupid,,color has nothing to do with that.
Many of the bigger chain stores don't hold video on a local basis,,probably has to go threw their legal department..
Even small,local stores have policy and practices that are adhered to, has nothing to do with employees...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or