U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:59 PM

20,865 posts, read 22,440,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Your cousin works for idiots. I've been in retail a long time and I can tell you shoplifters come in all colors, ages, backgrounds, etc. We are told to look for certain behaviors, and I don't care what you look like, if you exhibit those behaviors you will be watched.
My cousin would agree with you there. He works for an agency who hires him out. Sometimes he works at malls when extra help is needed and somtimes his company hires him out for private parties. He doesn't follow the profiling idea. He does what you have described, he looks for behaviors. He's been doing this for a long time so he knows what he's doing and ignores his bosses. When he's on the job, they don't know how he evaluates who he sees.

I think some people here are missing the point of the article. The people who were accused of shoplifting it would appear were being profiled and were accused on that basis and not on any kind of hard evidence. Just because they looked a certain way they were targeted. It isn't a case of "I'm not guilty so I don't have to worry." The people in this article were not proven to be guilty either but they still got hassled.

Reading the comment section, this also happened to people who wore tattoos and beards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:18 PM

5,221 posts, read 2,377,031 times
This is pretty simple. If you are stopped (not physically detained), and you in fact didn't steal anything, tell them that no, you didn't steel anything, bid them good day, and continue on your way. If they physically detain you after that, they will pay. If they don't physically detain you, you haven't been humiliated, assaulted, unlawfully detained, or anything else. They just asked you questions. You can choose not to answer any of their questions if you want. Just leave. Get over it. Calling "your lawyer" will do nothing for you.

And this advice is applicable to everyone, whatever race they may be.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:41 PM

926 posts, read 1,427,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
To my surprise, they said they're more afraid of black women because they think we lash out of nowhere.
As a mild-mannered black female, that's interesting for a LOT of reasons. I and friends have been in situations where folks seem almost DISAPPOINTED that we don't start neck-rolling and hollering.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:41 PM

2,178 posts, read 1,721,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Sounds more like "shop lifting" while Black. I'm thinking that particular legal theory isn't going to go far. LOL
What a pleasant surprise to see you here as the first response. Are those Black & White prescription glasses you purchased comfy?

Old 02-24-2015, 11:13 PM

9,486 posts, read 13,339,114 times
Pardon the pun but detaining a shoplifter is not as black and white as some of you seem to think it is.
Some of the 'how dare they suspect me, they need to find the real criminals' statements here are ridiculous.That is not a reason for people to jump to the conclusion that they were profiled based on race or anything else.
There is no flashing arrow above somebodies head that points and says 'this is the person you want right here' Sometimes people who aren't shoplifting get followed because they DO behave in other ways that arouse suspicion. The real criminals look just like you do, whether you are, black, white, brown, young or old, so it's just as stupid to automatically assume that if you are suspected the reason is your skin color.

WT? are you doing reading stormfront, do you really think that is indicative of the way most white americans think or feel?

Old 02-25-2015, 12:12 AM

72,674 posts, read 64,140,481 times
I thought it was White teen girls who were the prime shoplifters, and also older White women. I thought that was pretty well-known.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:05 AM

38,092 posts, read 15,294,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
What a pleasant surprise to see you here as the first response. Are those Black & White prescription glasses you purchased comfy?
Beyond the hearty greetings and attempt at levity, I suppose you don't really care to address the actual message. That certainly is no surprise.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:23 AM

8,096 posts, read 4,448,863 times
sound like these are more like the lawyer chasing ambulance than the fact that the security are actually doing their jobs, if you want to stop being profiled, it easy, quit doing the crime

Old 02-25-2015, 06:39 AM

3,023 posts, read 1,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
sound like these are more like the lawyer chasing ambulance than the fact that the security are actually doing their jobs, if you want to stop being profiled, it easy, quit doing the crime
Quit doing the crime? WHAT crime? Walking into a store and shopping?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:13 AM

2,178 posts, read 1,721,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Hmm, since White males disproportionately commit mass killings at schools & malls should we follow them around aiming guns at them? Or how about we stop using the actions of a few like they somehow represent the entire race.

Go ahead, bring up the "but oh, Blacks are 13%..." crap to "counter" my argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or