U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:34 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,585,577 times

Advertisements

If enough people call and complain to upper management (phone calls, emails), and most importantly STOP giving those stores your hard earned money the sting will eventually be felt! The problem is too many sweep it under the wrong, don't say anything AND keep spending their money there. If they don't act like they want your business to begin with, why keep shopping there?

And this applies to any group of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This is not only a Portland problem although it was brought to my attention by an African American friend since I used to live there. I have a cousin in the Chicago suburban area who is a security guard. The guards are instructed to do racial, age and ethnic profiling so there are certain groups of people they watch more closely.

He says that can be pretty misleading because some of the worst offenders are those who you would least expect.

These cases shown here don't appear to have any validity and I am glad the people being accused chose to fight back. If any of them were guilty, they will have a judge to decide their case and not some over jealous sales manager.

'Shopping while black' lawsuits accuse Portland area stores of targeting black customers (poll) | OregonLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:38 AM

174 posts, read 94,464 times
Being detained for suspicion is legal and done everyday. Back around 2000, my wife was pulled over by a police officer and told the gas station had reported a car similar to hers with a white woman driving had drove off without paying for gas. Maybe we should have sued but my wife presented the officer with the receipt from the pay at that pump purchase and that ended that. It is perfectly legal to act on suspicion. I grew up working in a grocery store where my father was a manager. I was used to watch many people they suspected of shoplifting and was able to catch a lot of them. Over time I could spot actions or behaviors that were often tell's of their intent. Sometimes mistakes are made. That's life. We have a thread on CD about a 7 year old being shot while she slept and the officer not being tried for the death. Accidents do happen. You should be glad business's are trying to prevent loss rather than just passing that cost on to you in the form of higher prices. To be honest. Everytime I see someone who appears to be Middle-eastern I watch them carefully just in case they are a terrorist. Can't help it.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:57 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,057,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL84 View Post
Obvious it is drug money.
You're joking, right?

Back in my 20's (which is when this incident happened) I was working at-then Pacific Bell SBC (now known as AT&T). $2500/month base pay, hourly with overtime, $2500/month in upsell commissions over top of that. Living at home with my parents, the only bill I had was gas for the car and my cell phone which was prepaid. Everything else went to clothes, video games, car audio, home audio or some other stupid. Car was paid for out of an inheritance. And I didn't believe in banks, so everything was cash and I asked for half in hundreds and half in 20's. Yes, it was totally the norm to be walking around with a thick wad of cash just because.

Hell, I had so much money I washed it, sprayed it with cologne and IRONED it dry. Just because I could.

Don't assume that a black man with a crap ton of cash is doing drugs. They might be, they might also just have a good paying job and not be fiscally responsible, as I certainly wasn't in those days.

Even if certain men regardless of color walk around with "drug money", the stores don't care. They just want to get paid.

It's moot because most of the drug money is done through Mexico, South America and Cuba anyway, not black, not white.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:06 PM

174 posts, read 94,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
You're joking, right?

Back in my 20's (which is when this incident happened) I was working at-then Pacific Bell SBC (now known as AT&T). $2500/month base pay, hourly with overtime, $2500/month in upsell commissions over top of that. Living at home with my parents, the only bill I had was gas for the car and my cell phone which was prepaid. Everything else went to clothes, video games, car audio, home audio or some other stupid. Car was paid for out of an inheritance. And I didn't believe in banks, so everything was cash and I asked for half in hundreds and half in 20's. Yes, it was totally the norm to be walking around with a thick wad of cash just because.

Hell, I had so much money I washed it, sprayed it with cologne and IRONED it dry. Just because I could.

Don't assume that a black man with a crap ton of cash is doing drugs. They might be, they might also just have a good paying job and not be fiscally responsible, as I certainly wasn't in those days.

Even if certain men regardless of color walk around with "drug money", the stores don't care. They just want to get paid.

It's moot because most of the drug money is done through Mexico, South America and Cuba anyway, not black, not white.
Yes it was a joke.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:44 PM

20,872 posts, read 22,446,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
If enough people call and complain to upper management (phone calls, emails), and most importantly STOP giving those stores your hard earned money the sting will eventually be felt! The problem is too many sweep it under the wrong, don't say anything AND keep spending their money there. If they don't act like they want your business to begin with, why keep shopping there?

And this applies to any group of people.
When I confronted the manager of Walgreen's he was really embarrassed. He just assumed I had driven up to the store and parked in the lot. I offered to show him both my bus pass and my Oregon State ID which looks like a driver's license but clearly states "not a license to drive" on the front.

He never bothered me again. Actually I have to admit, the third time he followed me I led him up and down a few aisles before I spoke with him. I did a bit of dodging too. It was partly because I wanted to make certain he had been following me but also because I wanted him to get a work out.

On a more serious note though, it really isn't fun to know you are or have been under suspicion and I do agree that people should speak up. Since I was able to right the wrong, I continued to shop at Walgreen's and shop undisturbed. I hope that the manager thought twice before following old ladies with shopping bags around after that or if he did, he did it more discreetly.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:07 PM

9,486 posts, read 13,344,036 times
Quote:
What I am wondering is aren't those detector thingys supposed to catch shoplifters? And I thought that the store personnel weren't supposed to stop people until they had left the store but I am seeing situations where shoppers are being accused while they are still in the store and are still shopping and haven't had a chance to go to the checkout counters.
The detector gates are only good at catching amateurs, and for going off when the cashier forgets to deactivate your purchase, in other words not really a useful deterrent. And no you don't have to be out of the store before you can be stopped. You have to be past the point of sale before you can be accused of theft, but generally if someone is trying to shoplift we want them to be aware that we're watching before they get that far. That way they have the opportunity to drop the mdse or to offer to pay for the item they 'forgot' to give to the cashier. Personally I think having to call the cops, get involved with loss prevention and fill out a bunch of reports, maybe have to go to court, is not the way to go if it can be avoided.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:18 PM

44,590 posts, read 43,115,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Your cousin works for idiots. I've been in retail a long time and I can tell you shoplifters come in all colors, ages, backgrounds, etc. We are told to look for certain behaviors, and I don't care what you look like, if you exhibit those behaviors you will be watched.
It should be about BEHAVIOR, not race. If you ACT suspicious, then I might understand. However, if you get watched simply because of your ethnicity, in my book, that isn't right.

I actually stopped shopping at some places because of the way I was treated. The way I see it, if I don't exhibit suspicious behavior but I still get treated like a suspect, then you don't deserve my money.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:27 PM

685 posts, read 531,380 times
Quote:
This is not only a Portland problem although it was brought to my attention by an African American friend since I used to live there. I have a cousin in the Chicago suburban area who is a security guard. The guards are instructed to do racial, age and ethnic profiling so there are certain groups of people they watch more closely.

He says that can be pretty misleading because some of the worst offenders are those who you would least expect.

These cases shown here don't appear to have any validity and I am glad the people being accused chose to fight back. If any of them were guilty, they will have a judge to decide their case and not some over jealous sales manager.

'Shopping while black' lawsuits accuse Portland area stores of targeting black customers (poll) | OregonLive.com
I promise I read the article. Our world is still nuts although maybe it's getting worse. I was in NY when racial profiling was an issue in NY and NJ. It's abominable and if profiling can be proven, I wonder if we'll ever reach the point where retail people who do it can be fired.

I bet the worst offenders are those we'd never expect. Those that have targets on them probably are going to be very careful about what they do. Those that don't don't think about the security cameras on them.

Thanks for the nauseating article. I know it's there and happening and it never stopped.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:31 PM

44,590 posts, read 43,115,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Statistics are racist. Hate facts must be suppressed.
Wrong. Statistics in itself aren't racist. The way they are used is another matter. Statistics tell of patterns. However, they don't speak of the individuals. The way individuals are treated based on statistics are what many people have an issue with.

For instance: I don't steal. I know what the statistics say about race and theft. This is what I care about. I care about me and the fact that I don't steal. I'm not part of that statistic, as I don't steal. Why should I be treated like a statistic if I don't perpetuate that statistic? I don't care "What is", I care about "why" and "why should I be willing to tolerate being treated like a suspect".

Old 02-25-2015, 02:32 PM

13,010 posts, read 12,445,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Your cousin works for idiots. I've been in retail a long time and I can tell you shoplifters come in all colors, ages, backgrounds, etc. We are told to look for certain behaviors, and I don't care what you look like, if you exhibit those behaviors you will be watched.
THIS. When I worked retail, the population of shoplifters we encountered was just as diverse as the population of the area. And one of the worst offenders among the employee shoplifters was a minister's wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or