U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:32 AM

3,936 posts, read 5,447,388 times

Advertisements

CAIR files U.S. Supreme Court brief in Oklahoma head scarf case | News OK

How many of these have there been? They're always suing over their head coverings. She'll probably sue for about 400 million, claiming they tried to interfere with her religious rights, she'll win, and won't have to work anywhere for the rest of her life.

I guess they just pick what parts of their religion they want to follow. Women wouldn't be allowed to sue under Sharia law.

Last edited by Jess5; 02-25-2015 at 04:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 07:31 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,122,845 times
She will lose. There are no religious rights.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:44 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,325,490 times
I couldn't read the entire article, they website asked me to register. So I didn't bother.

I don't know the full story but I agree with Jess, every so often we get this law suit about discrimination (race, color, dress) its silly. Some are valid reason but majority are just young people thinking they can play the system.

I remember few years ago when my friends & I were all out of college looking for jobs. one of my friend over dinner complained how she couldn't find a job & its harder because she wears headscarf & people discriminate. I had to stop her & say "look around, all of our friends wear headscarf & 90% of us have been able to obtain good professional job with our headscarf. What makes you think you are specially targeted?". It really was her skill set that didn't allow her to get a job but its easier to blame on external features.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:29 PM

1,506 posts, read 920,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post

How many of these have there been? They're always suing over their head coverings. She'll probably sue for about 400 million, claiming they tried to interfere with her religious rights, she'll win, and won't have to work anywhere for the rest of her life.

I guess they just pick what parts of their religion they want to follow. Women wouldn't be allowed to sue under Sharia law.
I though this issue was already settled. If the business can show that a "look" is essential to their marketing, they dont have to hire people who dont have the "look". In short, while businesses cant discrimiante agaisnt Jews, Moslems or Christians, neither Ambercombrie nor Hooters need to hire:

- Moslem women who wear head scarves
- Christian Amish women wearing "Little House on the Prairie" garb
- Orthodox Jewish guys wearing Jewish religous clothes from 17th Century Ukraine.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:25 PM

20,865 posts, read 22,440,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I couldn't read the entire article, they website asked me to register. So I didn't bother.

I don't know the full story but I agree with Jess, every so often we get this law suit about discrimination (race, color, dress) its silly. Some are valid reason but majority are just young people thinking they can play the system.

I remember few years ago when my friends & I were all out of college looking for jobs. one of my friend over dinner complained how she couldn't find a job & its harder because she wears headscarf & people discriminate. I had to stop her & say "look around, all of our friends wear headscarf & 90% of us have been able to obtain good professional job with our headscarf. What makes you think you are specially targeted?". It really was her skill set that didn't allow her to get a job but its easier to blame on external features.
You can read the latest here without having to sign in.

This girl didn't follow suit with Abercrombie's "look" in a sales model as they call them. Hey, at the age of 69 and slightly overweight with grey hair, I wouldn't either.

Justices appear to favor Tulsa Muslim denied job over headscarf | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

Old 02-25-2015, 02:42 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 11 days ago)

13,370 posts, read 11,875,084 times
Maybe Abercrombie should start their own company religion which would prohibit women from wearing the Hijab.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:45 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,275,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post

Actually, I think all that is at stake here is a $20,000 fine to the woman awarded by the District Court, but invalidated by the Court of Appeals. Well, that and attorney's fees (like in the hundreds of thousands of dollars).

On the law, she wins. But I have a problem with the constitutionality of the law as a general matter.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:27 PM

20,894 posts, read 22,671,095 times
Abercrombie needs to pay up and move forward. They can't have it both ways when they require their models to have diversity awareness, adaptability and flexibility per their own requirements of employees yet have none themselves.

Abercrombie & Fitch Careers

Old 02-25-2015, 07:39 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,630,885 times
She should have stayed in the woman-hating, savage middle east.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:13 AM

2,266 posts, read 1,373,004 times
British Muslim woman working as a teacher's assistant in the UK (in a Church of England school - I happen to be against any faith schools ... but I digress), wanted to wear a niquab when working with a male colleague.

Niqab nonsense - Telegraph

Readers comments below article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events