U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:24 PM

12,112 posts, read 10,240,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Well, women say they want "real men" and thats what "real boys" do, is snap bras. may not like it but thats just how it is; they play in the mud, they stick frogs in their pockets, and they snap bras.
A "Real boy" that was taught manners and human decency does not snap bras after being told to stop or he does not do it at all to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 02:04 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,566,607 times
Quote:
Well, women say they want "real men" and thats what "real boys" do, is snap bras. may not like it but thats just how it is; they play in the mud, they stick frogs in their pockets, and they snap bras.
What women? I am a 69 year old woman and I have never heard a woman say this. I have sisters, nieces, girlfriends, girl cousins, aunts, grandmothers, mother and many woman friends. I have had numerous female classmates. I have never heard any of them say they thought "real men" snapped bra straps.

I have however heard them say brats, immature idiots, stupid jerks, morons, little boys, childish fools little boys, mommies boys (heard that one a lot) and creeps snap bras.

Apparently you are one of those people who justified bad behavior by saying the victim wanted it. Easy to see which category you fell under.

A slightly different thought, little girls are taught at an early age not to fight back, not to hit not to retaliate. My sisters and I thankfully were taught to hit back and hit back hard, At the bra snapping age, some girls are as large as some boys but girls don't think of it as being assaulted and they don't fight back because they are not taught to.

So stupid comments like they should take it because boys are just being boys or "real men" are tolerated and boys get away with it. I wish that more little girls were taught to fight back. First say "No." If that doesn't work, turn around and whack your tormentor. A boy wouldn't tolerate another boy snapping his belt or messing with another boy. When you get right down to it, it's only what's considered acceptable in Society that girls are usually taught to "take it."

I hope that will change some day. Girls fighting back when they are young could just possible stop the line of thinking that it's okay for a boy to molest them later on.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:08 PM

6,391 posts, read 1,270,617 times
While I disapprove of using ANY kind of violence to make a point unless it truly is protecting oneself from actual physical harm, I applaud the mother absolutely. I think the daughter, however, should have told her mom what happened and then they BOTH should have confronted the boy, as well as all the adults involved who did nothing.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,431,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
What women? I am a 69 year old woman and I have never heard a woman say this. I have sisters, nieces, girlfriends, girl cousins, aunts, grandmothers, mother and many woman friends. I have had numerous female classmates. I have never heard any of them say they thought "real men" snapped bra straps.

I have however heard them say brats, immature idiots, stupid jerks, morons, little boys, childish fools little boys, mommies boys (heard that one a lot) and creeps snap bras.

Apparently you are one of those people who justified bad behavior by saying the victim wanted it. Easy to see which category you fell under.

A slightly different thought, little girls are taught at an early age not to fight back, not to hit not to retaliate. My sisters and I thankfully were taught to hit back and hit back hard, At the bra snapping age, some girls are as large as some boys but girls don't think of it as being assaulted and they don't fight back because they are not taught to.

So stupid comments like they should take it because boys are just being boys or "real men" are tolerated and boys get away with it. I wish that more little girls were taught to fight back. First say "No." If that doesn't work, turn around and whack your tormentor. A boy wouldn't tolerate another boy snapping his belt or messing with another boy. When you get right down to it, it's only what's considered acceptable in Society that girls are usually taught to "take it."

I hope that will change some day. Girls fighting back when they are young could just possible stop the line of thinking that it's okay for a boy to molest them later on.
Well then i guess we were raised in different worlds. Growing up, we were taught that ladies arent violent. Some dont see it as "taking it" but rather "not giving in to childish games". Even so, just because someone snapped a bra doesnt mean we have to retaliate in some way that draws blood or injures.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:16 PM

10,136 posts, read 6,461,056 times
Quote:
Well then i guess we were raised in different worlds. Growing up, we were taught that ladies arent violent. Some dont see it as "taking it" but rather "not giving in to childish games". Even so, just because someone snapped a bra doesnt mean we have to retaliate in some way that draws blood or injures.

Exactly! And it is not wise to tell a girl to attack a boy, because not all boys are going to treat her like a girl if they are attacked, and the girl is the one likely to get hurt.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:04 PM

20,957 posts, read 11,615,689 times
Quote:
And, using the story as the discussion point, what was that girl supposed to do? She told the boy to stop it, more than once. She tried to enlist the aid of the adult authority figure and was told she was supposed to just ignore it - meaning that the boy was essentially given permission to continue his unwanted physical contact. Just how far was she supposed to let him go? He reached the point of undoing her bra. Just how long was she supposed to wait before she tried self defense?

Old 03-06-2015, 01:07 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,784,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And, using the story as the discussion point, what was that girl supposed to do? She told the boy to stop it, more than once. She tried to enlist the aid of the adult authority figure and was told she was supposed to just ignore it - meaning that the boy was essentially given permission to continue his unwanted physical contact. Just how far was she supposed to let him go? He reached the point of undoing her bra. Just how long was she supposed to wait before she tried self defense?
^^^^^This^^^^^

The boy was told repeatedly to stop. Apparently his parents never taught him that no means no. This can be taught at a very early age. I applaud this girl and all the steps she went through BEFORE defending herself. This boy will think twice before doing this to another girl. I Hope......

Old 03-06-2015, 01:17 PM

15,388 posts, read 13,409,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If he was a foot taller than her, how'd she reach high enough to punch him in the nose hard enough to bloody his nose?
You seriously think someone cannot hit someone in the nose who is a foot taller? Also, it does not take much to make someone's nose bloody, some people it is way easier than others for this to happen.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:12 PM

750 posts, read 641,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You seriously think someone cannot hit someone in the nose who is a foot taller? Also, it does not take much to make someone's nose bloody, some people it is way easier than others for this to happen.
Because they pick their boogers too much

Old 03-06-2015, 02:22 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,566,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Exactly! And it is not wise to tell a girl to attack a boy, because not all boys are going to treat her like a girl if they are attacked, and the girl is the one likely to get hurt.
No, someone attacks you, you hit back. At what point do you allow the attack to go on? At one time women were told that if they were being raped to take it because it's better than being killed. Then women were encouraged to take self defense classes and that changed. Given the right tools of fighting, even a small girl hitting in the right places can do damage.

I am going to share one more true story in my life.

As an adult, I was attacked by a rapist. He broke into my apartment when I was rooming with my sister back in the 70's. I heard a noise in the living room because although I had gone to bed I was still awake around two in the morning.

When I went out to investigate the noise, someone grabbed me from behind. I started yelling. I guess he didn't realize there were two of us in the apartment because my sister came running out of her room. By that time he had me down on the floor. I was fighting like crazy. I was not going to give in without a fight. I didn't know self defense but I knew from my dad to fight with any means possible so biting, kicking and scratching was my defense.

He wouldn't get off even when my sister came at him from behind trying to get him off me by punching, kicking and screaming. He yelled he would kill me if she didn't stop attacking him. His words were wasted on both of us. She was on him like a momma tiger pummeling him from behind. And I had my teeth in his hand when he tried to cover my mouth to keep me from screaming. It was pure fight instinct no matter what.

A neighbor heard the screams and struggles and called the cops. I heard sirens and the guy suddenly ran off. The cops who arrived were in the neighborhood just a few blocks away. They told us they hadn't turned on their sirens. They thought the sirens I had heard might have scared him off thinking it was theirs. More than likely it was fire engine sirens from a fire truck they had passed on the way over. Whatever it was, he was gone. They never found him.

After the police arrived, they took assessment. I was bloodied but otherwise okay. They praised my sister and me for fighting so hard. They told us many women would have been paralyzed in fear even though the guy didn't have a weapon. That's how a lot of these creeps win and manage to get what they want. It's a game of domination to them. They want to see women cower in terror. They know they can dominate. But each case is different and you have to have your wits about you to see if you can get out of the situation successfully without doing yourself real damage or getting killed.

My sister and told them we both heard our dad's words saying "Fight back" and we did. Two of us; one of him. No weapon. Our fighting him gave us the edge time-wise even though we were unaware when it was happening to allow the neighbors the opportunity to call the cops before the guy could do what he came for.

To this day, decades later I wonder, again two of us, one of him. My sister and I fought like tigers.We are not tiny girls either. Still he wouldn't give up. What kind of mind thinks that way? One that is conditioned to believe women don't/can't/shouldn't fight back? Men have supreme power over women? Rape is a power struggle. Where is this learned?

No, I am not equating this with bra snapping so don't anyone say I am. I am equating this with the idea that anyone who feels they are being assaulted in any manner should fight back in any way they can. Only if they feel they can't because it could be too dangerous should they acquiesce. But they should never not fight back because of some stupid outdated social dictates or antiquated excuses that "boys will be boys" and girls have to take it. The same holds true for girls bad behavior towards boys in any manner as well.

And above all, parents need to teach their children to respect one another no matter what gender. There is never an excuse for bad or disrespectful behavior towards anyone at any age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events