U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 02:23 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,248,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
The lack of details and inability to find anything on any websites (other than blogs that copy-paste the story), makes it seem like a tall tale.
That's entirely possible, but like many fables, it teaches a good moral.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 02:33 PM

18,972 posts, read 10,032,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
The lack of details and inability to find anything on any websites (other than blogs that copy-paste the story), makes it seem like a tall tale.

Here's Snopes' take:

Read more at snopes.com: After Getting Her Bra Twanged, A Young Girl Punched Her Classmate
It may very well be apocryphal. But I think the larger point is well made - that we should not accept a "boys will be boys" status quo and that unwanted physical contact is not ok. And when this is happening to a teenage girl at school and she asks the teacher for help, that help better be forthcoming.

Thinking more about this, I remember back to a time when this happened to me, and I did say something to the teacher. The response was "well, he must have a crush on you" but I think the teacher must have also said something to the boy because it stopped. I'm not saying I would have punched the boy, but it would have been nice to not have had my complaint to the teacher dismissed, although fortunately for whatever reason, the boy didn't persist.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:53 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,629,375 times
The boys still do this to the girls?! If I had a young daughter I'd tell her to slap the face of anyone who touched her inappropriately. If that didn't stop him, punch his teeth down his throat...and then go slap the teacher who told her to ignore it.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:02 PM

991 posts, read 721,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
She had a good point that they would not allow boys to do that to the female teachers or staff so why did they allow the female students to be subjected to it.
Excellent point.

Young girls shouldn't be taught that they have to put up with sexual harassment, just because they're young. A man snapping a woman's bra in the workplace, snapping it so many times that the bra became unhooked, would be fired for harassment. But somehow, a 15-year-old girl is told to ignore it when a much-larger boy basically unhooks her bra? Could you see HR telling a woman to "ignore" it when a male co-worker unhooked her bra? Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:43 PM

20,857 posts, read 22,433,523 times
I had no problem with the link. In fact, I am going to forward it to friends who will like reading it.

So the boy is a foot taller and way heavier than this girl. He assaults her refusing to stop when she asks him to, she reports it to Mr. Teacher who does nothing about it and she is supposed to sit there and take it? I am so glad for this girl.

And yes, I said "assault." I remember having this done to me when I was in school. It hurts. It's startling and can through you off balance. I dropped a bunch of books once when it was done to me. I also remember it being done to one of my classmates and her bra became unhooked. She was humiliated while the other kids laughed at her. In those cases, the boys got reprimanded.

Why on earth shouldn't this girl defend herself in any way she could? It isn't as though she didn't ask him to stop. If he was so stupid as to not listen he deserved what he got. I hope the other kids laughed him out of the class room. I am so sick and tired of girls being expected to "take it" whether it's verbal or physical harassment.

Good for the girl's mother and boo for the boy's mother who should be crying because she is an idiot who couldn't be bothered to teach her son respect for others.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:13 PM

14,294 posts, read 20,539,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh for Pete's sake, guys snapped girls bra straps all the time when I was in school. It happened to me all the time. Overreacting if you ask me.
In what world is this okay?! You may have had no problem with it, but this girl did. And it wasn't just a bra snapping, her bra came undone. Not an overreaction at all.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:58 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,882,145 times
Only the dorkiest guys did this when I was a teenager, that would be the quickest way to make sure that no girl would ever have anything to do with you.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:03 PM

5,038 posts, read 3,327,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
It is written like most all those stupid made up stories that get passed around the internet for the next 10 years. Yeah, snapping bras is ridiculous behavior.
The site has a bunch of fake ones, this one likely included. Just a cheesy attempt at getting visitors.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:33 PM

750 posts, read 605,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
In what world is this okay?! You may have had no problem with it, but this girl did. And it wasn't just a bra snapping, her bra came undone. Not an overreaction at all.
By law, physically assaulting someone for that would have her placed under arrest. Happened at my school sometimes too, but just like guys giving each other wedgies, no one fought over it. Is it okay? No. Is it that serious to fight over? No. More like an annoyance of immaturity.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:48 PM

8,089 posts, read 4,446,122 times
story fake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events