U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 01:59 PM

2,439 posts, read 1,037,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Hansen Unplugged: Signs of change

Texas sports anchor Dale Hansen gives moving speech condemning racist signs | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News

By some of the venom on C-D, it is clear that many of the posters were raised like Dale Hansen and the kids in his commentary. Why not try to unlearn hateful behavior?
Any white person who tries to tell you this has likely lived in lily-white places all of their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 02:01 PM

15,309 posts, read 16,874,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I saw a discussion about this back in the '90s. I liked what Mario VanPeebles had to say:

It's not about Black and White anymore. The color is Green. If you've got it, you pretty much do what you want.

The color green here symbolizes money.
Unfortunately, that is untrue. It would be nice if it was, but really black men - even wealthy ones experience discrimination as this story shows.

Award-Winning Producer Charles Belk FALSELY ARRESTED And DETAINED For SIX Hours...Because "He Fit The Description" Of Robber | The Young, Black, and Fabulous

Black women also experience this:

Arizona professor's jaywalking arrest quickly gets out of hand - CNN.com

Neil DeGrasse Tyson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=035lOhkNbkM

Old 02-28-2015, 02:04 PM

38,349 posts, read 15,386,340 times
Big battle of the web links.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
BUT that race still gets chosen over you, even if less qualified. That is unethical and leaves the better qualified person unemployed.
Not true

Affirmative Action Definitions, Myths & Realities | Office of Affirmative Action & Equal Opportunity

Quote:
Affirmative action is intended to ensure that employers hire the most qualified people, including members of groups that previously have been subject to unlawful discrimination. The reality is that the best qualified candidates don't always get hired. A number of studies have shown that there continues to be a bias that favors men over women and non-minorities over minorities. Affirmative action is intended to alert us to this so we can work to overcome the biases that have disadvantaged women and minorities in the past.
Note that candidates cannot always get past the application process, especially if their name seems black. The experiment here sent the same resume with different names to answer job ads.

Employers' Replies to Racial Names

Quote:
It indicates that a white name yields as many more callbacks as an additional eight years of experience. Race, the authors add, also affects the reward to having a better resume. Whites with higher quality resumes received 30 percent more callbacks than whites with lower quality resumes. But the positive impact of a better resume for those with Africa-American names was much smaller.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:19 PM

6,742 posts, read 3,878,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Yes, that same group will complain regarding something, such as Abortions or criticizing those on Financial Aid, while "their group" are amongst the highest portion of those utilizing both. But they have to blame someone for whatever makes them mad and it cannot possibly be "their own", so they keep up this stance about everything being the fault of "the other guy". It's as if they are arguing with themselves.

Good post. And to add on to that:

Funny how they say certain minorities always have excuses for their situations and don't work hard enough and then turn around and blame AA as to why they aren't getting all the scholarships and jobs. No, it can't be because that woman or minority is just better or smarter than you, it's because you're the new oppressed race.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:39 PM

312 posts, read 332,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
All of those things that you are thumping your chest about are no big deal. My family (on both sides, and not coming from Europe) worked hard, never took government handouts, and did well. My father before he retired was making a six figure income and owns property in Latin America. Not bad for someone who is clearly non-European, knew barely a lick of English, and had to start his life in rough New York City. He attended Northeastern on a scholarship due to his academic ability and graduated with a degree in electrical engineering. My mother's aunt owns a brownstone in Harlem which is worth over a million dollars if she cared to sell it. Her family, upon immigrating from Jamaica, bought several such properties. Not one of them were ever on the dole. As for me? I received a scholarship due to my writing portfolio evaluation and good academic record. Race had ZILCH to do with it. Both my husband and I are pretty successful and our kids, thank God, are on a good track. So, go on, and keep reminding us again why we're so awful..it just makes us laugh because our reality is pretty good.

We are the product of assimilation. Our culture is American, which is not "white culture". This is not unusual among our generation. We have little ties, with the exception of maybe certain holidays, to wherever we originated. And we're fine with that. You can associate with whomever you want..doesn't matter to us. Like I said upthread, you keep your nonsense to yourself, we're good.

PS - our family is beautiful too
You cannot deny that "assimilated American culture" by that i mean the common culture of this country is highly based on the culture of this nations original settlers who were white Europeans. I'm from NY too, did you know the NYC accent is a product of the original Dutch settlers speaking English, mixed with an Irish brogue and a Yiddish tinge?
You're mixed, so it is impossible for you to try and feel that same cultural connection. Many people of "pure" heritage are very strong about that connection, the Irish, the Italians, the Jews etc.

In regards to private sector hiring practices and "black names" here is my take:

Most people wouldn't have a problem hiring a black woman named Stacey who spoke standard US English. I however would not hire a LaTasha who speaks AAVE to work in any customer facing role. I would hire an Asian descended man named John who spoke good English but I would not hire Chen Lee who sounded like they got here yesterday, I wouldn't have a problem hiring a Hispanic if they could speak unaccented English.

Anything else just makes a company look bad, and the bottom line is you might lose money.

My father and mother were born Giordano and Luciana, meet George and Lucy because they knew you had to normalize your name to assimilate. I'm Giuseppe legally but you can call me Jack like most people in my work life besides the few old Italians I do work for (who love it lol). Someone with a stereotypical black name LaTasha should probably go by Tasha and drop the AAVE. That would solve most employment issues.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:41 PM

10,114 posts, read 9,342,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
Why must you continually post about how 'successful' you and your husband are? Now it's your family. Seems to show some insecurities ... Money doesn't make one a good person.
Why must anyone continually post about whatever on this board? facts are facts, and you can remove the quotes. We are successful. Our parents are successful. I expect my kids to be successful. And for all of those who keep spewing out the same repetitive garbage thinking that they are better merely because they are white, I'll reply in kind. Quite frankly, you aren't. Being hard working, yada yada is nothing spectacular. So are we and it never occurred to us to be anything other than hard working. Money doesn't make us good people, but we are thankful to have what we have. We already know that we are 'good people', you know, to the people who matter. As in actual people who aren't weenies hiding behind internet anonymity.

As for insecurities...I have few. Thank God for being my mother's daughter.

Last edited by riaelise; 02-28-2015 at 03:12 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
You cannot deny that "assimilated American culture" by that i mean the common culture of this country is highly based on the culture of this nations original settlers who were white Europeans. I'm from NY too, did you know the NYC accent is a product of the original Dutch settlers speaking English, mixed with an Irish brogue and a Yiddish tinge?
You're mixed, so it is impossible for you to try and feel that same cultural connection. Many people of "pure" heritage are very strong about that connection, the Irish, the Italians, the Jews etc.

In regards to private sector hiring practices and "black names" here is my take:

Most people wouldn't have a problem hiring a black woman named Stacey who spoke standard US English. I however would not hire a LaTasha who speaks AAVE to work in any customer facing role. I would hire an Asian descended man named John who spoke good English but I would not hire Chen Lee who sounded like they got here yesterday, I wouldn't have a problem hiring a Hispanic if they could speak unaccented English.

Anything else just makes a company look bad, and the bottom line is you might lose money.

My father and mother were born Giordano and Luciana, meet George and Lucy because they knew you had to normalize your name to assimilate. I'm Giuseppe legally but you can call me Jack like most people in my work life besides the few old Italians I do work for (who love it lol). Someone with a stereotypical black name LaTasha should probably go by Tasha and drop the AAVE. That would solve most employment issues.
But you cannot tell from the name whether or not they speak standard English. The resumes were written in standard English with only a change of name. Aside from that in many jobs, the person may not have much contact with the public, so the accent won't matter. It depends on the particular job.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:53 PM

10,114 posts, read 9,342,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post

The American culture is an amalgamation of many different cultures, not just European. America period is a land of settlers, almost like Brasil. Sure, the Portuguese language and culture is there but there's a palpable African and Native element as well. Though of course the Euro descended people in Southern Brasil will dispute that.

I don't agree with Anglicization of ethnic names. Thanks to my dad trying to fit in I was the odd woman out with his family because I didn't speak a lick of Portuguese or even Spanish. As for names, not all Latashas are your stereotypical type. One of our clients at Chase is named Latanya and she's a banker. Both of my daughters have Sanskrit names. I refused to name them Heather and Hailey for racial ambiguity since our last name is Spanish, and people can already figure things out. Having a non-Anglo name is completely normal. Maybe African-Americans feel that so called "black names" are a cultural thing that they hold dear (I'm not talking about the DeBrickashaws, or any other dumb name), so what is so wrong with them? As long as they sound professional and act professional, their actual name shouldn't matter.

My father still has a THICK accent because he's 67 and only spent 40 years in this country.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:02 PM

1,293 posts, read 899,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Hansen Unplugged: Signs of change

Texas sports anchor Dale Hansen gives moving speech condemning racist signs | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News

By some of the venom on C-D, it is clear that many of the posters were raised like Dale Hansen and the kids in his commentary. Why not try to unlearn hateful behavior?
I agree that racism is a learned behavior. However, we have to be clear about what racism is. Too often we mistake bias and prejudice as "racism" when they are not the same.

Any group who has the ability to perpetually make policy decisions in the systemic and institutional agenda that directly affects groups in a negative fashion are racists (oppression). In America, this happens to be Whites. Blacks are not stakeholders in this country; never were and likely never will be. Hispanics and Asians; ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or