U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 03:51 PM

312 posts, read 332,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You're launching off into outer space, man. I never said Europeans are evil, did I? If that was the case, then I'd be denigrating members of my family. Give me a break. And you're being insulting by saying that if it wasn't for the conquistadores, there would be no Mexican or Puerto Rican culture. Mexico has a very rich pre-colonial history. I'm not even Mexican and I know that. I'm pretty certain those temple ruins in Tulum weren't built by Spaniards. Never mind that the natives had already devised writing and mathematical systems, built civilizations, etc etc. Post colonization did leave an imprint on both cultures but by no means was Mexican or any other Latin American culture non-existent before the Spaniards came and getting busy with the Indians.

Quite frankly I can't picture this country without whites, blacks, Asians, or anything else. Everyone contributed to the United States of America. When we fight wars, who are all those "others" fighting for? Black America? Mexican America? Chinese America? or are they defending our country as a whole?

Having an accent doesn't make you uneducated or unintelligible. My father has an accent and it has made zero difference in his professional life. If you are flat out uneducated, that's another thing. Or you don't know how to turn off the slang, that's another thing. Many people revert to slang when they are in a comfortable setting. I'm surrounded by highly educated lawyers here in Texas and, depending on where they were born, when they're around friends, they slur certain words together and use words I've never heard before. Doesn't make them dumb. But they know how to turn it off when they need to. My husband's family speaks Spanglish in the family setting and "standard English" elsewhere.

My kids haven't had any issues yet about their non-western names. Sorry, but I'm going to name my children names that I find befitting and it doesn't matter to me if they don't conform. My own name isn't mainstream either and can probably be considered ethnic and it's my name. Never even considered changing it.
Yes I know that Mexico had a culture before the Spanish came but please don't try and tell me that Juana Perez from Guadalajara who prays to the Virgin Mary has a predominantly native culture..

And I guess you can't picture this country during WWII. Before Ted Kennedy and LBJ passed the immigration reform this country was basically white and black. A few Puerto Ricans lived in Spanish Harlem, some Mexicans in the SW and a few Asians but all in all they probably equalled 5% of America. Until recently, "the melting pot" was an amalgamation of white european cultures mostly.

And if you think all American groups don't unite on race you're willfully ignorant. That's why Mexicans have "the National Council of La Raza" and blacks have the "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People" and so on.

If you're in Texas, than the Texas drawl is standard English. Regional accents are English as are Brits, Aussies etc. however a heavy Chinese or Spanish/Spanglish accent is not english and is something you should work to correct in public, same with AAVE/Ebonics.

You can name your kids whatever you want, but don't be surprised when I won't hire anyone whose name I can't pronounce and when people think you're un-integrated.

The previous generation did it, Jews named Yaakov become Jacob, Heinrich became Henry, Giorgio became George, are you better than them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
So you all did a genealogical study? This is the ONLY way to know of purity. Otherwise, you could be wrong in your assumption of true lineage.
Well personally I have had a study done as has my girl. But it stands to reason that if someone immigrated here from Ireland (remember 50 or more years ago Europe was a very homogenous place. My Sicilian mother met someone from Rome and to her that was like another planet, let alone a person of a different race) and moved to a predominantly Irish neighborhood and married another Irish immigrant and had children, those kids would be 100% Irish. Faithful Jews only marry other Jews so any Jew I meet was likely born to Jewish parents who were born to Jewish parents who were probably born in Europe where Jews were segregated from the at-large population.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:30 PM

56 posts, read 52,143 times
threads like these make me racist against white people and all the ignorant prejudice they often show

Old 02-28-2015, 04:36 PM

38,270 posts, read 15,339,527 times
People, even in this topic, can't agree what "racism" even means.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:45 PM

10,089 posts, read 9,328,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
Yes I know that Mexico had a culture before the Spanish came but please don't try and tell me that Juana Perez from Guadalajara who prays to the Virgin Mary has a predominantly native culture..

And I guess you can't picture this country during WWII. Before Ted Kennedy and LBJ passed the immigration reform this country was basically white and black. A few Puerto Ricans lived in Spanish Harlem, some Mexicans in the SW and a few Asians but all in all they probably equalled 5% of America. Until recently, "the melting pot" was an amalgamation of white european cultures mostly.

And if you think all American groups don't unite on race you're willfully ignorant. That's why Mexicans have "the National Council of La Raza" and blacks have the "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People" and so on.

If you're in Texas, than the Texas drawl is standard English. Regional accents are English as are Brits, Aussies etc. however a heavy Chinese or Spanish/Spanglish accent is not english and is something you should work to correct in public, same with AAVE/Ebonics.

You can name your kids whatever you want, but don't be surprised when I won't hire anyone whose name I can't pronounce and when people think you're un-integrated.

The previous generation did it, Jews named Yaakov become Jacob, Heinrich became Henry, Giorgio became George, are you better than them?
Mexicans have integrated their native culture with the Spanish culture. That same woman "Juana Perez" prays to the Virgin and turns around and participates in Dios de los Muertos, a pre-colonial "pagan" tradition. The people syncretize non-Christian deities with Catholic saints. No different than Brasil with cadomble, or Santeria, Voudou in Haiti, and many other New World colonies. There are many Mexican names that are of Native origin. Mexico's culture is decidedly mixed, probably more so than any other Spanish colony.

As for this country prior to WWII, what does that have to do with what I said? America has always had a White majority, that's nothing new. I never said anything otherwise. I did say that many cultures contributed to the American culture, and I stand by that. The American culture hasn't stopped evolving. Even in the 40s, there were more than "some Mexicans" in the Southwest. Lest we not forget that at one time the entire region used to be provinces of Mexico, and that there were many Mexican families that never left. Go to South Texas. Many of the landowners are 100% Mexican, they haven't come here due to immigration laws, they were always here. For generations. I've lived here in Texas for over a decade and the Mexican influence is great. There were also more than a "few" Puerto Ricans in Spanish Harlem, though the main wave happened in the 50s. Puerto Rico is a part of America, so they don't need any benefits of immigration laws. They can come here on a plane. There were probably more people who felt compelled to pick the four main racial categories because there weren't other selections on the census. If you were colored in any way, you were black. Some chose Hispanic, but many also chose White. It's only recently that there were more racial/ethnic categories to choose from.

Birds of a feather may stick together, but not every Hispanic is a member of La Raza and not every black person is a member of NAACP. I never said that there was anything wrong with that. But neither of us has ever joined any racially based organization and our views are strictly our own views, not representative of an entire group.

And I'll say again, heavily accented English *is English*. People can understand my father just fine. Unlike a majority of Americans, he can speak three languages fluently. His accent is no big deal. Plus, he lives in South Florida, where most of his clientele are fellow Latin Americans and where being bilingual is an asset. If he was an English only speaker, he would have had a hard way to go considering many companies there do business in Latin America.

Finally, in regards to names, naming my children ethnic names has nothing to do with thinking that they are better. It has everything to do with I like the names, they fit my girls perfectly, and really, how hard is it to pronounce "Kalinda" and "Anji"?

We're going off track here and this has nothing to do with the topic at hand, which is "Is racism learned"? We can disagree all day. But really, this has nothing to do with the topic. Sticking with your own kind doesn't make someone a racist. You were right, every person is different and not everyone is like me or my family. You also can understand why I felt the way that I did because of my background. Also, I believe that regardless of why we got here, we're all here. In this country. We have to put up with each other somehow. We don't have to sleep together, we don't have to eat together, but somehow everyone is going to interact with someone who is different. Is so wrong, or so ignorant then, to realize that we are all Americans? Human beings? This goes for everyone, not just white people. If my kids can basically get along without racial constructs, then as an adult, I feel that I can, too.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:00 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,122,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
The only way any group can claim to be racist is if they have the ability to oppress other groups. It has to be systemic on a grand scale. Otherwise, it should be called what it likely is which would be bias, prejudice.....
hunh...... here are the two leading authorities on the English language on what words mean.

Webster's

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2: racial prejudice or discrimination

Oxford

1. Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior:

2. The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:

Bias and prejudice are not the same things.

It is sad you have been indoctrinated to believe otherwise.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:07 PM

2,178 posts, read 1,723,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
This country is a lot less native and black than Brazil. Black culture (which is not African in any significant way and more an amalgamation of southern cultural elements) might have a certain influence and in some parts of the Southwest there is some spanish influence in architecture and named (Spanish is european also)..the mainstream culture of this country is upwards of 80% european elements. I know it's the vogue thing to deny that these days but without those evil white Europeans there would be no USA as we know it. Without those evil white Europeans there would be no blacks here at all, and without those evil white Europeans miscegenating with some Indians and giving them their language and religion there would be no Mexican or PR culture.

Hispanic names are one thing because they are mainstream like Juan and Maria or whatever, but name your kid Javendra or Ling Foh and although you might like it, it demonstrates a resistance to becoming western (this is a western country like it or not) and is just setting your kid up for undue hardship.

As for "black names" they have a very negative stigma in them and feelings aside they will hold you back. They are not even cultural names just made up words, if you were giving them an African name like Umbunktu or whatever that's an excuse but LaToya is or Trevion is not an African cultural name. It sounds dumb and people associate it with ghetto people.

And if you can't speak standard American English then you should be practicing every day and never expect to be put in a role that necessitates communicating with the outside world, even McDonalds because it is incredibly frustrating and it loses business (I avoid the McDonalds closest to me because all the workers can barely speak English and talk to each other loudly in Spanish)
That reverse role you tried to play is cute, typical, but cute.

Ghetto sounding names? Lmao, do you know that Latoya is a Spanish name? I'm a AA, my name isn't Trevion, but my name is derived from a Spanish name also.

It's hilarious that people are quick to call a name ghetto, but alot of the time it's derived from ancient Greek, Islamic, Spanish, or Hebrew.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
That reverse role you tried to play is cute, typical, but cute.

Ghetto sounding names? Lmao, do you know that Latoya is a Spanish name? I'm a AA, my name isn't Trevion, but my name is derived from a Spanish name also.

It's hilarious that people are quick to call a name ghetto, but alot of the time it's derived from ancient Greek, Islamic, Spanish, or Hebrew.
I used those names as an example. I went to school with a black girl named "Pretty" and another one named "Du'Sharme" and TWO "KeyRon"s and I'm sorry but that's ghetto as hell and any parent who does that is spiting their child out of opportunities

Old 02-28-2015, 06:43 PM

4,457 posts, read 1,737,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
My so-called 'racist' views, judgements and opinions were formed by my observations and experiences.
Sure they were.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:54 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,086,895 times
Racism is like any other group pf like people. There is even a nationalist type within the Asian cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or