U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 AM

685 posts, read 531,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I don't think anyone denies there are racists.

However there are far far far more people who scream racism sometimes in almost every breath, where none exists. It's become a crutch for denying responsibility and because of it the word is losing any real meaning.
Those who have been snoozing about this important issue for ten years or longer likely are unaware of what it means.

There are far more people who scream racism (lets assume they know what it means because they live it) , I agree. Is it screaming out of frustration, ignorance, or stupidity? But I have news for you. If I lived a suppressed and somewhat dangerous life due to the color of my skin or because of who I am, I might scream anything - "I'm tired of profiling!" "I'm tired of being arrested for not doing anything!" In this case, it's far from a crutch but a long and frustrated scream of anything to get people's attention to turn things around in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 AM

6,742 posts, read 3,871,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyInDeerPark View Post
Affirmative action teaches and breeds racism. When the Federal Government mandates one race be given preferential treatment over another it's bound to create resentment and hate.
You might want to brush up on your U.S. History if that's what you think is the case.

AA didn't just get pulled out of thin air, there were and are reasons for AA for women and minorities. If there wasn't blatant racism and sexism in higher education and professional world, then there would be no need for AA, so the resentment and hate is misplaced.

This is always been so ironic to me. The same group of people that complain certain minorities such as blacks are lazy, don't want to work or don't want be productive members of society (that usually come from poor, urban areas) turn around and complain when those same people "take" their scholarships and jobs away from whites.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:09 AM

4,914 posts, read 5,526,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
You might want to brush up on your U.S. History if that's what you think is the case.

AA didn't just get pulled out of thin air, there were and are reasons for AA for women and minorities. If there wasn't blatant racism and sexism in higher education and professional world, then there would be no need for AA, so the resentment and hate is misplaced.

This is always been so ironic to me. The same group of people that complain certain minorities such as blacks are lazy, don't want to work or don't want be productive members of society (that usually come from poor, urban areas) turn around and complain when those same people "take" their scholarships and jobs away from whites.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
How about when they deemed the NYC fire dept exam "racist" and ruled that the test be dumbed down because they claimed it discriminated against minorities?

Now on earth can en exam be considered discriminatory? Either you know the material or you don't. Its the same exact exam for people of all races.

Last edited by louie0406; 02-27-2015 at 08:26 AM..

Old 02-27-2015, 08:16 AM

38,154 posts, read 15,318,674 times
Affirmative Action is a euphemism for Forced Quotas based on either Race or Sex.

Ironically it does not usually mean Age or Sexual Orientation even though these are the two most discriminated against groups in the USA. Native Americans, who as a demographic have suffered more than any other, also generally not included.

Force quotas creates dependence. The results speak for themselves.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:30 AM

18,549 posts, read 13,688,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
The media is absolutely not trying to make people get along better! They are the biggest ****-stirring force that exists!!! They blow everything out of proportion and manufacture offense/outrage. They know exactly how to wind people up and the sooner society wises up to their bull**** and stops making it profitable, the better.
"The media is absolutely not trying to make people get along better!"
You got that right. They feed into like throwing gas on a fire, because it sells ($$$$$$). Blood on the streets sells.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
How about when they deemed the NYC fire dept exam "racist" and ruled that the test be dumbed down because they claimed it discriminated against minorities?

Now on earth can en exam be considered discriminatory? Either you know the material or you don't. Its the same exact exam for people of all races.
I don't know why you're asking me this? I didn't make up the exam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Affirmative Action is a euphemism for Forced Quotas based on either Race or Sex.

Ironically it does not usually mean Age or Sexual Orientation even though these are the two most discriminated against groups in the USA. Native Americans, who as a demographic have suffered more than any other, also generally not included.

Force quotas creates dependence. The results speak for themselves.
Because sexual orientation isn't supposed to even come up in the interview process. And sexual orientation usually isn't on display like someone's race or gender - those things are kind of obvious. There's no box on a job application that says "Sexual Orientation - Straight, Bi or Gay", like there is when it comes to race or gender - where some people's application went straight into the trash can if they didn't check the right boxes.

In certain jobs, age can be an important factor in one's ability to do the job, such as being too inexperienced for an advanced position, or not young enough for a job that would require a lot of physical activity.

I used to know a girl in college who was like 1/4 or 1/8 Native American, and was attending my school on a scholarship.

I'm not sure the point of the 'force quotas creates dependence" comment, regarding higher education and a corporate environment. Colleges and companies aren't falling apart at the seams because they're hiring women and minorities. FYI.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:58 AM

4,914 posts, read 5,526,998 times
Quote:
I don't know why you're asking me this? I didn't make up the exam.
I asked you because you implied that racism exists in higher education. Whether it does or doesn't, is it reason enough to dumb down an exam to make it an even playing field for minorities? Last I checked, anyone can go pick up a training exam book to study for the FDNY exam.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I asked you because you implied that racism exists in higher education. Whether it does or doesn't, is it reason enough to dumb down an exam to make it an even playing field for minorities? Last I checked, anyone can go pick up a training exam book to study for the FDNY exam.

The discussion was about financial aid and scholarships provided to minorities, not having different exams for those of different races.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:14 AM

10,246 posts, read 4,123,123 times
Isn't all behavior learned?

That said, hatred isn't a family value, and to those that that teach hate aren't doing anyone any favors.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:16 AM

38,154 posts, read 15,318,674 times
Quote:

I'm not sure the point of the 'force quotas creates dependence" comment, regarding higher education and a corporate environment. Colleges and companies aren't falling apart at the seams because they're hiring women and minorities. FYI.
You made two different points.

• Hiring and admissions based on lineage or sex instead of skills, qualifications or training, creates dependence upon the government policy that mandates it. Skills, qualifications or training has been made irrelevant as are the incentives to get them. i.e. Dependant class of people. This has been proven thoughout history and not just in the USA and not just on race or sex. The class system in the UK is an example.
  • Your second point is a generalization not related to what I posted. Companies and colleges are indeed not falling apart because the women and minorities hired have the skills, qualifications and training necessary for their jobs. i.e. They got their job without relying on a quota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or