U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 05:21 PM

1,278 posts, read 835,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
So because a handful (a small handful at that) of people act a certain way, that causes you to feel that way about the entire race of people? That's pretty pathetic.

Assuming you're white, do you hate white people because of mass murderers like Adam Lanza and James Holmes?

What about the white guy that killed 8 people last night in Missouri?

using race hate is a convenience to rationalize anger, it gives a person a quick explanation to be angry.. but it's not very different from general hate.. like hating on your neighbor who is of same race who turned his drains onto your property and when it rains it floods your property. immediately, the brain looks for something to call that neighbor, like he's a "dick" or "as*hole" to feed your ego and make u feel somewhat better, but the hate isn't any different. if it was someone of another race, the brain might immediately scan and locate for a word and use "(insert your ethnic slur)" to rationalize the same hate.. the latter being much more convenient and quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 06:18 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,497,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
So should I hate all white police officers just because a few pulled me over for no reason?
There is a subtle difference in what I said, and what you think I said. If every white police officer you have met pulled you over for no reason, then yes you should hate them. Just like every person of a certain ethnicity that I encountered when younger did something to cause me to hate them. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
So because a handful (a small handful at that) of people act a certain way, that causes you to feel that way about the entire race of people? That's pretty pathetic.

Assuming you're white, do you hate white people because of mass murderers like Adam Lanza and James Holmes?

What about the white guy that killed 8 people last night in Missouri?
You made a poor assumption. You have no idea how many people I have met that made me hate them. It may have been small, it may have been a handful, it may have been all...you just don't know. Adam Lanza never did anything to me, a key requirement of the post you are responding to. However, if Lanza and Holmes were the only white people I had met, then I think you can agree that i would form a bad opinion of white people right? I don't know anything about the MO situation, but again he never did anything to me.

I'm just saying what most others think. This may be very hard for you to understand, and I don't really expect you will. But I think racism is alive and well in America. Its natural to like people that are similar to you. But today's racism is not your fathers racism. It is more subtle and less overt. A white woman will clutch her bag just a little tighter when she sees a black man walking towards her. A white cop will look at a black person walking down the street just a little bit longer. I can hate people of a certain ethnicity, but that dosent mean I will be disrespectful of them. That doesn't mean I don't want them to have the same opportunities as everyone else. All it means is that I would prefer to be around people of my own color, that I want to work with them, socialize with them and interact with them. They probably want to do the same.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:03 PM

312 posts, read 333,321 times
Didn't read the whole thread.

I agree that hateful racism is learned. No one is born to call people the n word or something.

However preferences, like the tendency for people (of all ethnicities) to seek out communties where people who look like them is an innate behavior from the time when we were still tribal, all living things unconsciously seek safety in similarity.

I also disagree that not wanting to marry or reproduce out of your race makes you a bigot. I am white, all of my traits physically are recessive and if i have a kid with a black or Asian or Spanish chick likelihood is the traits I have light eyes and fair skin will not be passed on and will die out. Look at Mexicans, they are the product of white spaniards and Indians (natives not Asians obviously). The dominant traits of dark skin, and dark hair and eyes over powered the white european genes.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:28 PM

1,431 posts, read 661,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
There is a subtle difference in what I said, and what you think I said. If every white police officer you have met pulled you over for no reason, then yes you should hate them. Just like every person of a certain ethnicity that I encountered when younger did something to cause me to hate them. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.......

You made a poor assumption. You have no idea how many people I have met that made me hate them. It may have been small, it may have been a handful, it may have been all...you just don't know. Adam Lanza never did anything to me, a key requirement of the post you are responding to. However, if Lanza and Holmes were the only white people I had met, then I think you can agree that i would form a bad opinion of white people right? I don't know anything about the MO situation, but again he never did anything to me.

I'm just saying what most others think. This may be very hard for you to understand, and I don't really expect you will. But I think racism is alive and well in America. Its natural to like people that are similar to you. But today's racism is not your fathers racism. It is more subtle and less overt. A white woman will clutch her bag just a little tighter when she sees a black man walking towards her. A white cop will look at a black person walking down the street just a little bit longer. I can hate people of a certain ethnicity, but that dosent mean I will be disrespectful of them. That doesn't mean I don't want them to have the same opportunities as everyone else. All it means is that I would prefer to be around people of my own color, that I want to work with them, socialize with them and interact with them. They probably want to do the same.

1. So you're saying every person of a particular ethnicity you ever met was worthy of hate? There wasn't one good individual out of the bunch? I find that hard to believe.

2. I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the word "hate". Racial hate is to despise an entire group of people based on their ethnicity based on misguided stereotypes. What you sound like is that you prefer to be around whatever ethnicity you are, which is understandable by most people. If I saw two rooms, one filled with whites and the other with blacks, I would go to the black room. Not because I "hate" white people, but because I simply relate to blacks more. That isn't wrong or racist. Racism is "Tyrone is black, therefore he's a criminal, a bad parent, drug addict, welfare abuser, uneducated, etc." and you know nothing about him.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:05 PM

10,130 posts, read 9,361,395 times
Quote:

It's reading stuff like this that makes me actually shake my head. You'll be cordial to me, smile in my face, pat me on the back. But in your heart, you would hate me because of my melanin content. Not because I did anything to incur your hatred, but simply because being brown skinned marks me like a scarlet letter due to some experiences that you had in the past. I can't help being a person of color. I didn't get the fairer, olive skin of my mother. I was born as a person of color, and I never felt ashamed of being what I am. But for someone to actually hate me due to something that I cannot change, well that makes me sick. You'll hate my children just because.

As sickened as I am though, I do not let such attitudes hold me down. The best antidote is to let it trickle down your back and live your life. I have a good amount of self confidence, so frankly, in the big picture, I don't care. I like who I am, what I look like, and what I've done in life. I'm fortunate in that we do pretty well in life. We work and socialize with a variety of people. If certain people are chickens who let out their true thoughts on social media but don't have the balls to be upfront about it, then so be it. As long as you don't get in my way or disrespect me, then whatever. You give me what I've earned, and we'll be good. There's enough decent people (of all ethnicities) out there who are willing to socialize with me.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:22 PM

10,130 posts, read 9,361,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
Didn't read the whole thread.

I agree that hateful racism is learned. No one is born to call people the n word or something.

However preferences, like the tendency for people (of all ethnicities) to seek out communties where people who look like them is an innate behavior from the time when we were still tribal, all living things unconsciously seek safety in similarity.

I also disagree that not wanting to marry or reproduce out of your race makes you a bigot. I am white, all of my traits physically are recessive and if i have a kid with a black or Asian or Spanish chick likelihood is the traits I have light eyes and fair skin will not be passed on and will die out. Look at Mexicans, they are the product of white spaniards and Indians (natives not Asians obviously). The dominant traits of dark skin, and dark hair and eyes over powered the white european genes.
I guess being multiracial myself from a family that is as varied as planters nuts I really can't feel your pain. I guess I just don't see what's so important about eyes and skin color? My mother (Jamaican, Scottish, and Mohawk) has light eyes. My mixed race (pardo) Brasilian father has dark eyes and dark hair, but his sisters both have light eyes and light brown hair. My eldest daughter (half Mexican) has light brown hair and lighter eyes though both my husband's eyes and mine are dark. My youngest is bronze colored with dark hair and dark eyes. You don't know how genes will play out. I just never really cared about all of that...

Old 02-27-2015, 10:38 PM

6,742 posts, read 3,883,876 times
Quote:

You don't like 40 million AA's because (or whatever race it is) because of a handful? What good does that do anyone? And no, I won't understand that mindset, ever. No sane, rational human being comes to that sort of conclusion on an entire race of people. I've been called the 'N' word more times that I can remember by whites, but I hold no grudges against white people. That's just stupid.

You use blacks as examples. How appropriate. I have never seen a group of people get lumped together like black people do, other than Muslims, and of course, that same standard isn't applied to white people. Some black guy sagged his pants around you, so you don't like blacks, but a white guy murders 8 people, and no one even flinches.

A George Zimmerman thread about him getting arrested turns into GZ vs. TM Part II with dozens of pages of people labeling a teenager a thug based on some pictures, but a white guy murders a bunch of people because his mom died and it's not even two pages. What a surprise. And if that thread grows, it'll turn into a gun debate, not a race debate.

This primitive, pathetic mindset needs to die out ASAP, before more people infect others with that line of thinking.

This is exactly why we have AA. Last thing we need is a bunch of closet racists denying a well-qualified candidate a job and giving it to a lesser qualified candidate of the same race based on what some punk of that race said to them 3 years ago.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:54 PM

1,140 posts, read 984,329 times
Quote:
My Parents and Grandparents didn't teach me to hate. What taught me to hate was when I started to notice that all the people committing crimes and all the people talking/walking/acting like thugs, shared the same general description. The actions of the hated teach hate.
So you've seen ALL black people act like thugs? I mean like EVERY single one? Wow you must get around to have witnessed EVERY Single black person (or whichever race) do something to teach you hate. Hate is a strong word btw.. so don't use it in passing unless you're ready to commit to what you "hate" or more than likely are to cowardly to try to understand.

Anyways have fun with your negative life, coward.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:08 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,284,657 times
Default You're right about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyInDeerPark View Post
Affirmative action teaches and breeds racism. When the Federal Government mandates one race be given preferential treatment over another it's bound to create resentment and hate.
When the federal government, state government, city government (and small town government) gave preferential treatment to Whites over Blacks in every way possible and turned a blind out to justice for Blacks against criminal activity, brutality, and terrorism committed against them by Whites from 1776-1970, it was bound to create resentment and hate. We agree.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:27 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,284,657 times
The fact that some or many Whites bring up Affirmative Action is very telling and IMO opinion a result of their subconsciously deep seated envy they have of Black people in general. Whites have had affirmative action for over 200 years. Blacks have had it less than 50 years and yet Whites act as if A-A is holding Whites back. Really?? Give me a break!

Blacks make up less than 13% of the total US population while Whites make up 70%. Even if EVERY single Black person (which is impossible because of age, health, or lack of desire or ambition many do not even apply for jobs that are currently held primarily by Whites) obtained a job due to Affirmative-Action, that wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket against Whites in the job market. For reasons that I will never understand as a African-American, too many Whites are whiny and act like spoiled children over every little crumb that Blacks are gaining when in the overall scheme of things, whatever gains Blacks have made or obtained due to Affirmation-Actions, they have paid an awful price generation after generation to get there.

Whites have not had to endure half as much for the most part yet whine and cry like babies over the slightest perceived gain of Blacks. White people who engage in this type of childish envy, GET YOURSELF! The world doesn't revolve around you because of your skin color. Other people have had to go through hell and you think that the tables will not eventually turn where you will suffer as well? Think again. Such is life. Your skin color will not protect you from the storms and pitfalls of life! Once you accept the fact that what goes around comes around, you will stop whining and see how it feels to wear the shoes of others down the hard and rocky paths they have had to trod upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or