U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-28-2015, 08:16 AM
 
758 posts, read 587,010 times
Reputation: 883

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Hansen Unplugged: Signs of change

Texas sports anchor Dale Hansen gives moving speech condemning racist signs | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News

By some of the venom on C-D, it is clear that many of the posters were raised like Dale Hansen and the kids in his commentary. Why not try to unlearn hateful behavior?
I was raised that dark skin people were cursed by god. But I absolutely love black people. Where is the heart emoticon?! I just admire them! They are just but

Mexicans?

I learned this behaviour all by myself but I agree that many children are victims of brainwashing. This is how religion and racism and all kinds of things spreads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2015, 08:38 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,330 posts, read 19,087,379 times
Reputation: 18436
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyInDeerPark View Post
Affirmative action teaches and breeds racism. When the Federal Government mandates one race be given preferential treatment over another it's bound to create resentment and hate.
Many centuries of preferential treatment to whites over others required the need for "affirmative opportunity" - learn the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2015, 08:39 AM
 
2,179 posts, read 1,740,330 times
Reputation: 4063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
My so-called 'racist' views, judgements and opinions were formed by my observations and experiences.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/38626512-post65.html

Pathetic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2015, 08:56 AM
 
Location: A State of Mind
4,506 posts, read 1,769,699 times
Reputation: 4464
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
There are blacks that live in the burbs and metro area who work very hard in public and private industry. Why are you fixated on certain percentage of people who are poor? Why do you allow it to have space in your head causing you to expound hateful views?

I remember sometime ago walking in New Orleans and this white 5 year old holding his mother's hand passed me going in the opposite direction. The kid pointed and said, "Mom, there is a n**ger." His mother did not scold him or even apologize. They just continue walking like nothing happened. How does a kid learn that so young? At the breakfast table.
Obviously, as you say, the child was taught to differentiate, otherwise they would not have said anything. It's sad that this is to be imprinted upon some, as it continues on, creating problems.

And yes, there exist those from all races, who are educated or not, well-off and not. Some are focused only one way because they have not learned to do otherwise and their ideas are so ingrained that I don't know if they even know how they come across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2015, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
677 posts, read 507,674 times
Reputation: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Can you explain why you feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2015, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Subconscious Syncope, USA (Northeastern US)
2,367 posts, read 1,536,267 times
Reputation: 3814
I saw a discussion about this back in the '90s. I liked what Mario VanPeebles had to say:

It's not about Black and White anymore. The color is Green. If you've got it, you pretty much do what you want.



The color green here symbolizes money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2015, 09:23 AM
 
9,425 posts, read 8,504,000 times
Reputation: 5584
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Many centuries of preferential treatment to whites over others required the need for "affirmative opportunity" - learn the difference.
Using the race card in every situation is also a "learned " behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2015, 10:31 AM
 
150 posts, read 224,536 times
Reputation: 210
Yes I agree racism is 'learned'. Kids aren't racist. Little kids don't even notice color so to speak at first. My daughter is white and she talked all the time about a boy in her class and the fun she had with him. Then one day she mentioned that Corbin had brown skin and she had pink skin. Just an observation I guess and it took a while to notice. She still talks about her happy interactions with him all the time.

Racism obviously can be taught but it isn't the exclusive reason for racism.

It also gets learned when people make observations and form their own opinion about what they see.

If a black teen boy watches on TV a group of white soccer fans stopping a black man from getting on a train and hurling racial slurs , he sees this bigotry and can form an opinion about a group of disgusting white racist males. It can also skew into his opinion about white folks in general.

It can also work the other way and white teens will form opinions when they view actions they view negative performed by other races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2015, 11:03 AM
 
Location: rural south west UK
2,858 posts, read 1,749,653 times
Reputation: 3281
people in this country just shout "rascist" so as to stifle debate-especially about immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2015, 11:05 AM
 
Location: California
4,446 posts, read 5,205,025 times
Reputation: 9185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
I have some issues with AA.
When it comes to AA in academic settings I believe that setting standards lower for college admissions because someone is black or native American is insulting to them because it assumes that they are not as smart as whites or Asians. Conversely I feel it is unfair to white people as well because we are being held to an arbitrary higher standard. Why should a black kid who lived in the same town and used the same school system as me be able to get into Harvard with a 3.6 GPA when I need a 4.0?

In some cases when a place of employment doesn't meet a diversity quota or whatever, they will hire people of color who are of less merit and less qualified than other white applicants just to meet the quota. That is unfair, merit first. If the goal is a society that doesn't judge employees by color it is counterproductive to judge employees by color. This has been an issue several times in the Law Enforcement profession where blacks and Hispanics are much less likely to apply for the job because of things like the fact that in certain cities there is a long standing mistrust between the cops and black communities, furthermore because of lower average educational attainment for minorities and a higher likelihood that they will have a criminal record (there are reasons for this that I am not digging into) there is simply a smaller percentage of minority people who are even eligible to be a cop. In these circumstances there have been cases where a black person who is less qualified and got a lower score on the civil service exam will be hired before a white person simply because he is the only black person that applied. A case like this recently happened with the FDNY.

In the late 80s/early 90s in Detroit which was increasingly becoming a mostly black city, it was felt that the police force (at 70%) was too white. The solution was for mayor Coleman Young to hire his buddies, the sons of his buddies, and black Detroiters from his old neighborhood who were recently released from prison.

Another concerning issue for me is over representation. Although it may feel like more depending on where you live, black peoples are around 14% of the US population, so not even 1/6 of America is black. However in federal civil service jobs that are vastly over represented and in the lower pay grades of the federal service they comprise a majority. This may be because DC and the areas of Maryland around it are very black, however the federal workforce should be more representative of the U.S. population at large IMO. Similarly my girlfriend used to work as a 311 operator for the city of New York. NYC as a whole is around 25% black 35% white 15% Asian and 25% Hispanic, however her office was more than 50% black easily. I have noticed this in other city government offices as well that whites and Asians are underrepresented in city employment in every department except for the NYPD, and the FDNY.


Unrelated to affirmative action, but concerning to me is the fact that racist comments about whites, particularly white males is pretty much socially acceptable. I once heard a politics talk show say that something (I forget what) was worthless because it was written by "stupid old white men", if she had said the opposite about "stupid old black women" she would have to make a public apology and might lose her job and all professional relevance. ASU in Tempe had a class recently about racism, that was entitled "The problem of whiteness", this is disgustingly offensive to me and I know for a fact that if I was a professor and I wanted to make a class known as "The problem with blackness" there would be campus protests, walkouts, and a campaign to ruin my career. It is perfectly acceptable for a person of color to point out the shortcomings of white people and their culture, however if I pointed out the problems with contemporary black culture, such as a high (70%) out of wedlock birth rate I would be labeled a bigot. I am not denying that racism exists toward people of color because it does, however the door does swing both ways. A big problem I have with my fellow white people is that many feel that the only way to reject racism and rid themself of white guilt (a ridiculous concept because while I can be disappointed at the actions of previous generations I feel no guilt and take no credit for the actions of people in the past. Whites are not the only group who did bad things. Tribes in Africa did things too, as did east Asian Mongols, Berber moors, South Asian Mughals etc.) is to reject their own ancestral culture and forget their heritage and traditions. White european culture deserves to be fostered and preserved by the ancestors of white Europeans in the same way that the Navajo, the Salvadorans, the Indians, the Kenyans, the Cantonese and the Hawaiians foster and preserve theirs - warts and all - there is nothing wrong with that and to call our society multicultural and then reject "white" culture makes no sense and is just as bad as the other way around. I love my heritage, I want to preserve it both culturally and genetically and I believe that is totally okay and I encourage others of all backgrounds to the same. I don't wanna be a cheese ball but a rainbow is only pretty is because the colors are DISTINCT, yet coexisting. When you take paint of many colors and mix it up it turns into a bland grey blob. That's what monoculture is to me, you can't think about Americsn culture without remember the very european backbone of it.

Finally, this website has illustrated the double standard for me quite a few times. If I posted as a black woman in the "General US" and asked for a black majority city with a strong middle class I might be told to go to Atlanfa or DC/PG County, MD. If I pose as an Asian gay man looking for a liberal city with lots of Asian culture I might be told San Francisco or Honolulu, if I say I am Latino looking for hot weather you'll send me to Miami. If a Mexican came on here and said they were uncomfortable living around whites and wanted a Spanish speaking Mexican neighborhood you might suggest East LA of the city of El Paso, TX. However If I say I am a white straight man looking for a conservative neighborhood that is mostly white in the new city I am relocating too, there won't be one helpful answer - you will tell me that I should join the Klan, go to hell, get a time machine to the 40's deep south, or that I'm nazi scum. See the difference?



I hope I didn't offend anyone but any person can be affected by bigotry and racism it is not a problem exclusive to those who have more melanin than me, my culture and heritage is just as worthy of preservation as anyone elses, and if you tell me that my culture and heritage is not worth preserving I hope you think that every Chinatown should be knocked down and every Juan Martinez should become John Martin. Not that I want that to happen but if you believe that I shouldn't preserve my culture then you should apply that every race and background equally because if you single me out because my blood comes from Europe that's just as bad as hating someone for having dark skin and origins in Africa.
Again, very well stated! However, too many don't have mirror so they can't see their own behaviour is so very racist.

No taxpayer should be manipulated by those who cry racist decade after decade. Some contribute to society while others just drain it and cry for more. Water seeks its own level, so why should the government try to change the laws of nature? Dont' worry about the government's non-white hiring bias as there are far better jobs in the private sector which is why Silicon Valley jobs are now being targeted. However, we can, and should vote for pension reform to slow the government's gravy train and respect the taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top