Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:39 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Kids have to be taught to hate, and it's our parents and grandparents (and our teachers and coaches, too) who teach us to hate. Kids become the product of that environment.
Hansen Unplugged: Signs of change

Texas sports anchor Dale Hansen gives moving speech condemning racist signs | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News

By some of the venom on C-D, it is clear that many of the posters were raised like Dale Hansen and the kids in his commentary. Why not try to unlearn hateful behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:39 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,010 times
I agree, of course it is a learned behavior. I wonder what causes a family to teach racism, and be accepting that what they teach is okay? Do they blame their racist attitudes on the race(s) that they are prejudiced against? Was reared in a rural setting. I don't think there is as much racism in the rural areas as urban areas. We don't have as many races in our communities is one obvious reason. There does exist small communities full of racism, which includes people of their race too, some people think they are better than everyone else by and for their own self serving reasons.

I don't think racist thought will change that much in the future, sad but true.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:40 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
I don't think anyone denies there are racists.

However there are far far far more people who scream racism sometimes in almost every breath, where none exists. It's become a crutch for denying responsibility and because of it the word is losing any real meaning.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:44 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Not only racism, but hate in general. We just live in a testosterone fueled world these days, where the simplest things get us into a rage and snark mode extreme. Gone are sportsmanship and manners, it's all about aggression and humiliation.

When some mother explodes at a car that cut in front of her, screaming profanities and threatening violence with a young child in the car, when a son watches his dad go after a little league coach with fists flying, what do you expect.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:13 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Of course, I learned in school about 7th grade the expression ****** and Roots aired that year and it was required viewing.[I would also watch All in the Family] I went to a Southern Baptist school and learned it there from classmates. My family were immigrants and have no perjorative for blacks in their language which is what we used at home. At home negative attributes attributed to a person where never skin color based but performance based. Althought Mom was raised in a fascist country and would call people Communist as a negative!!- Vintage stuff there. We were so naive as kids.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:42 AM

100 posts, read 93,690 times
Affirmative action teaches and breeds racism. When the Federal Government mandates one race be given preferential treatment over another it's bound to create resentment and hate.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:57 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Racism is natural. It is a part of human nature to have a hierarchy. Virtually any quality or random attribute of a human being and/or a group of human beings can be used to create a pecking order. Race is one among many attributes people have used to create a hierarchical order. It's very amusing, but the bleeding heart, liberal crowd that turned our lives to PC hell, creates its own silly hierarchy of "enlightenment" and "deserving", it just doesn't emphasize race (officially, at least).

Old 02-27-2015, 04:59 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
It can be learned like your family/community teaches it or it can be learned like how I learned it (personal experience living amongst the people for an extended period of time).

Still, it all usually boils down to inherent differences in philosophy or priorities, etc.
Differences.
People don't like different.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:01 AM

100 posts, read 93,690 times
I thought Obama was going to end racism.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:15 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
It's really just 'culturalism' ... black people especially the males tend to be more violent due to the way they were brought up and the fact they are often in poverty... now why they are in poverty is open to debate.. whether it's white oppression, their cultural upbringing, or a little bit of both, but the fact of the matter is most people don't dislike other races because of their skin color, but rather because of their behaviors and customs. Raise a black child in a white suburban neighborhood that talks like a white and is well educated and people hardly notice... have a white kid grow up listening to rap music and blasting it around town and dressing with pants to his knees and people definitely notice...

Most whites and asians seem to get along just fine and you often see pockets of asians and whites living together.

You occasionally see blacks and mexicans living together as well.. when you look at the 'racial dot map' and browse around major cities... but the amount of segregation is actually quite striking to see... entire segments of major cities that are 'all mexican' or 'all black' .. also a look at south Texas on the racial dot map will show a side to America that many don't realize is there.

What the media is trying to do is strip the more hardcore aspects from people's culture and have a more open, tolerant attitude for all cultures.. also known as a 'melting pot' ... this would cause people to 'get along' better.. I don't fault them for this... but government policies involving the war on drugs and the like.. and the upbringing of kids in the inner city... it's an uphill battle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events