Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:22 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

BBC News - Jordan pilot hostage Moaz al-Kasasbeh 'burned alive'

guess that's why they didn't offer him up for their incompetent suicide bomber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 11:43 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Horrifying deaths like that are commonplace in military conflicts, which is why I'm against war except in true self-defense, but never before have I seen executions being shown graphically as propaganda FOR one side ..... it used to be that propaganda showed the ENEMY as inhuman monsters.

And yet they seem to have no shortage of sociopaths and religious nutters flooding in as recruits, they seem to have counted correctly on the recruitment value of such killings. It does give me some pause to wonder about the human species.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I stopped wondering about the human capacity for violence in "Nam. Nothing has surprised me since except the astonishing misreading of Western psychology by the Islamic fundamentalist freaks. Maybe in their culture being a ruthless executioner is a way of showing how dedicated a Believer you are but it only serves to disgust, frighten and anger most folks in the West.

Perhaps they forget such military campaigns as the Invasion of France by the Allies, Operation Barbarossa by the Germans or Stalin's response. Or the US Pacific war against Japan that ended with nuking two cities. We Westerners are not unfamiliar with how to wage total war but we do know how. We just have not been enraged and insulted enough to want to.

Until the Fundamentalist terrorists really get us enraged I strongly suggest we get out of the entire Middle East and let them destroy themselves in their never ending internal strife and war. No matter what happens on the surface the oil will still be there underground and effectively up for grabs after the Arabs finish killing each other.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:03 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
It's not new. The tactics have been exported and globalized. Mexican death squads recently burned alive 43 students. In El Salvador and Honduras, it's been occurring for over 30 years. Stop a bus of tourists and burn them alive in the bus.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:26 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
RIP. My condolences go out to his family.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:14 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
It's time for a coalition to take these throwbacks to task (the fact that the US sp***ed its wad on an unnecessary war in Iraq doesn't help - the same has been a gift to the Islamists) - the US, UK, France, Germany, Australia, Canada, and even Japan (perhaps its time to re-work that constitution).

Old 02-03-2015, 01:47 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
I'm afraid that the 2020s are going to make the 1940s look like a picnic.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:48 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It's not new. The tactics have been exported and globalized. Mexican death squads recently burned alive 43 students. In El Salvador and Honduras, it's been occurring for over 30 years. …........
…...actually more than 30 years.

One of the most horrendous war crimes in history was Gen. Curtis LeMay's firebombing of Japan, starting with Tokyo and continuing in city after city. He didn't think strategic bombing was getting the job done fast enough.

Hundreds of thousands (at least 500,000, possibly as many as a million) of non-combatants, children, women and old men were burned to death. In LeMay's own words: "scorched and boiled and baked to death."

Other LeMay quotes on the subject: “Killing Japanese didn't bother me very much at that time... I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal.... it doesn't bother me so much to be killing the so-called innocent bystanders.”

Old 02-03-2015, 02:00 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,753 times
Did IS ever had any intentions to release their prisoners even after their demands were met?

Old 02-03-2015, 02:05 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
…...actually more than 30 years.

One of the most horrendous war crimes in history was Gen. Curtis LeMay's firebombing of Japan, starting with Tokyo and continuing in city after city. He didn't think strategic bombing was getting the job done fast enough.

Hundreds of thousands (at least 500,000, possibly as many as a million) of non-combatants, children, women and old men were burned to death. In LeMay's own words: "scorched and boiled and baked to death."

Other LeMay quotes on the subject: “Killing Japanese didn't bother me very much at that time... I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal.... it doesn't bother me so much to be killing the so-called innocent bystanders.”

That was the objective of 'total war' at the time. You not only had to defeat and destroy the enemy's army & equipment, you also had to destroy their ability to manufacturer and support that war... which involved the civilian population. There weren't any 'smart' weapons (bombs) in those days, and accuracy for pinpoint targets was hit & miss. It's questionable that the carpet bombing of cities during WW2 had the desired effect of demoralizing the enemy population, but it did contribute to making the continuation of the war much more difficult.
For the record, we weren't the only ones to carry out carpet/fire bombing of civilian targets. The British carried out an extensive campaign of night incendiary bombing of German cities for nearly 3 years in Europe. A few of those missions actually killed more people than our A-bombs did. You can call it war crimes if you like, but it did help shorten the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events