Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:49 PM

610 posts, read 698,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm far from being a conspiracy theorist, but I'm not convinced this was the Russian government (and, note, there are enough crazed Putin fanatics where the government/secret police may not have needed to carry out this murder). After all, knowing the bad publicity that a dead body of a major opposition leader would bring, why wouldn't the Russian government simply "disappear" the opposition leader?
It does seem strange that they basically displayed him like a captured fugitive on State TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 12:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
As I wrote on another thread;

"Oh yippy-yea; a person 99.99% of Americans never heard of, who was a a member of a minor political party in Russia with close ties to Europe (imagine Americans' reaction if a political party in the US had such close ties to other countries), who was one of the instigators of the mafia style economic system that arose in Russia under Yelstin, who skimmed lots of money from the government under Yelstin, was shot and killed and now all of you are making some big deal about it.

Putin is no good, but this guy was no better. He was a very minor player in Russian politics, not even being a member of the largest political parties there (that would be Putin's party, followed by the communists, followed by the nationalists)."

Old 03-01-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
As I wrote on another thread;

"Oh yippy-yea; a person 99.99% of Americans never heard of, who was a a member of a minor political party in Russia with close ties to Europe (imagine Americans' reaction if a political party in the US had such close ties to other countries), who was one of the instigators of the mafia style economic system that arose in Russia under Yelstin, who skimmed lots of money from the government under Yelstin, was shot and killed and now all of you are making some big deal about it.

Putin is no good, but this guy was no better. He was a very minor player in Russian politics, not even being a member of the largest political parties there (that would be Putin's party, followed by the communists, followed by the nationalists)."
Careful, there, man. Being rational about stuff in general will get you labeled a Putin-lover and a Putin-defender and anti-American by the CNN/Fox crowd who already decided you should hate Putin and love everything that is opposed to him.

But I salute your point. None of these same people are ever up in arms every time Alexei Navalny goes to jail... which is like always. Lol.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:23 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,327 times
Right on cue... here come the moral relativists, for whom every misdeed of Putin or his increasingly fascist state can be blithely ignored because Snowden and Maidan and drone strikes and Ferguson etc etc etc.

Here's a little light reading for you. Not that I expect it'll change the minds of any RT zombies, but normal people might find it interesting.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/02...html?referrer=

Old 03-01-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Right on cue... here come the moral relativists, for whom every misdeed of Putin or his increasingly fascist state can be blithely ignored because Snowden and Maidan and drone strikes and Ferguson etc etc etc.

Here's a little light reading for you. Not that I expect it'll change the minds of any RT zombies, but normal people might find it interesting.

No... it's not moral relativism. It's very simple.

See, I LIVE under the government that coordinates the drone strikes and hunts down whistleblowers and foments war with other nuclear powers to which you refer.

I don't LIVE under Putin. If I did, I'm more than sure that I'd care about him more.

But the reality is, right now, the American Empire, under whose rule I live, is using its military and influence to force the rest of the globe into compliance, and that's a problem because if you don't reign in your empire, eventually, you live under it.

Why do you think police have military weapons and the freedom to kill whoever they want? Why does the NSA spy on us all day every day? Why do things like Obamacare get written by insurance companies and people think they want to help us? Why does Obama get to backdoor-ban certain types of guns and ammo? Why does ISIS even exist, and have safe havens in Anbar Province, Eastern Libya and half of Syria? Why do I lose 1/5th of my income to a government who turns around and gives it to Lockheed and Raytheon and General Dynamics and the other billionaire welfare-mongers? Why do I live in the country where only 1 in every 216 people charged with a crime are found not guilty? Why does the "land of the free" have the world's biggest prison population? Why do our politicians invite foreign heads of state like Netanyahu to tell our elected "representatives" how they should, instead, represent the interests of a foreign state?

If you don't see the dots connected, it's the American Government and its Empire. And that Empire happens to be the one I LIVE UNDER. That's why, terrible as Putin is, it really doesn't much matter what he does, because I don't live under his authority. I'm sure if I lived in Dagestan or Ingushetia or something, though, I'd hate Putin more than I ever even cared to hate Obama. The reality is just a matter of what's relevant, and why it matters TO US.

That doesn't mean Putin gets a blank check to do whatever he wants. It just means that I won't let people like you be duped into using Putin's sociopathic political behavior into expanding the influence of the evil American Empire even further.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:38 PM

And how is it any different than Bradley Manning? He blew the whistle on the U.S. Gov's war lies, and they had to take him down. The Russians were in the same situation, if the story is true, and just did it with a little more gusto.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:41 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Putin saved Edward Snowden from Obama and his henchmen. So he can't be all bad.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Putin saved Edward Snowden from Obama and his henchmen. So he can't be all bad.
There is at least 1 iota of good in his being. +1

Old 03-01-2015, 01:46 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,223 times
'Detective', 'investigator', 'journalist', 'the opposition'. Really synonyms for the 'dead'. And they tend to 'sleep with the fishes'.

Nice work if you can do it in Russia. But at the last they present an oxymoronic view of the current corrupt Soviet state when it comes to occupations. Those in them currently should demand life insurance.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:51 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post

Has nothing to do with it; this guy killed was not some second coming of Christ or anything, it is no different than a corrupt, opposition leader of another extremist Islamic group was in opposition of Bin Laden, and Bin Laden killed the guy, I doubt an Americans would feel too sorry for the guy.

This is nothing more then gang warfare, and I do not recall many people feeling sorry for gang memebrs being victims of other gang members.

And instead of name calling and calling everyone "Putin bots" or "RT zombies", try to actually debate the subject. You have no idea what media people watch, I happen to hardly ever seen or read RT in my life, and I do not even like Putin, but anytime anyone opposes your view, you take the McCarthyism approach and start yelling "Putin bots!"

I doubt people like you have ever even been to Russia, let alone lived and worked there. Say all you want about Putin, Russians are much better off under him than they were in the 90's. You take this ridiculous approach that anyone opposing Putin must be the good guy, when in fact the opposite is true. The second largest political party in Russia is the communist party; good guys? The third largest party are the whacko nationalists; good guys?

This guy that was killed was no good at all, he was part of the problem just as Putin is, however, this guy opposed Putin because this guy wants in Putin's place, not for any righteous reasons or anything. Many Russians despised this guy as he was one of the key factors in creating the mafia style economics that caused misery for many Russians in the 1990's, in which Putin purged out of politics when he came to power, thus people's lives improved greatly.

And when since you Americans ever care about the brutality of other leaders? Will I find posts from you regarding Saudi Arabia? The political oppression there that greatly exceeds Russia and is on par with North Korea? The brutal conditions imposed on its population? Of course, just silence from you, all the while Obama goes and bows down to pay homage to the new king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events