Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:13 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Clampdown69, One cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theatre, but somehow the first amendment lived.
Exactly. Where do people get the idea that rights are absolute? Never have been, never will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 03:15 AM

312 posts, read 481,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
When I dumped my abusive ex, he kept threatening to kill himself in order to manipulate me into going back with him. I had repeatedly told him to get professional help and leave me out of his issues. But he kept threatening and guilt-tripping me until my patience ran out, and I told him to just do what he wants.

Did I want him to commit suicide? Absolutely not. I just wanted him to leave me alone.

Of course, he didn't kill himself. He's still alive as far as I know, though last I heard, he's in prison now.

Point is, maybe the same thing was the case with that girl. Maybe him getting out the truck was another manipulative ploy ("last chance") attempt to manipulate her into giving him what he wanted. Maybe she thought she was just calling his bluff by telling him to get back into the truck. And maybe unbeknownst to both of them, the suicide attempt ended up successful.

I don't claim that this was what happened. But I also wouldn't rule it out just yet.
Yeah, people (especially teens) pull that crap all the time..I've been told "drop dead" and "if you leave me I'll kill myself!" It's almost impossible to take seriously 99.9% of the time.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
Yelling fire in a theater is basically inciting a riot, and if there is no fire it's a lie.
Yelling fire in a theater = telling a suicidal person to get back in their vehicle and finish killing themselves. You do not have a right to do things that result in other peoples deaths. You don't have that right, DEAL WITH IT.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Exactly. Where do people get the idea that rights are absolute? Never have been, never will be.
Who draws the line? Maybe I should go to jail for calling someone fat? Or ugly? Maybe I should be legally bound to stay in a relationship with someone because they threatened suicide?

That's insane.

If you wanna be censored, apparently France is very easy to move too and they will arrest you for hate speech if you act like a meanie poo.

Jeeze people should grow a pair, the dumb kid killed himself because he was weak and didn't think things through...yeah the girl is not nice but neither am I, it's not a crime to be mean. Did she actually physically harm him? Did she even attempt too? No.

If I tell you to jump off the brooklyn bridge and you do because I said so, does that make me evil, or does it just make you a weak minded person who the world is better off not having? I say the second. I feel bad for his family, losing a kid sucks..they should be mad at him! Not her.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Yelling fire in a theater = telling a suicidal person to get back in their vehicle and finish killing themselves. You do not have a right to do things that result in other peoples deaths. You don't have that right, DEAL WITH IT.
His actions resulted in his death, not hers. She is not that powerful. He got what he wanted and frankly the world is better off with one less follower.

If we don't have the right to say how we feel then we don't have rights at all. This is how I feel, he killed himself and although I am not super religious I believe people who take a life will burn in hell. He took his own life and he is now in hell.

Arrest me.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:35 AM

Quote:
I'm arguing the validity of the law. It should not be illegal to be a bad person,
For approximately the last 4,000 years their have been laws that have sent bad people to prison. I think that at least 99.99% of people are comfortable with the concept of keeping bad people in prison. So you certainly have a right to your opinion, but you should know that you are swimming upstream. It will continue to be illegal to be a bad person, for the foreseeable future. Even if you disagree.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
She is sick in the head, but she didn't murder the guy. She never laid a hand on him. He killed himself! This is a tragic thing all the way around. Let's not make it worse by throwing murder and manslaughter charges around. We are supposed to be a civilized people, but all we want is blood...someone to pay for the suicide of someone else. How many times have we heard this before...always blaming everyone except the one who committed suicide?
Civilized people don't let people encourage other people to commit suicide.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:50 AM

Quote:
His actions resulted in his death, not hers.
No, he didn't want to kill himself. That is clear from the text messages. He would be alive today, if she didn't keep harping him to get it over with and kill himself. She killed him, just as much as if she had shot him with a gun.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Civilized people don't let people encourage other people to commit suicide.
Civilized people don't crap their pants at brunch. I did that once (thought it was just a fart) but it's not a crime to be uncivilized.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:01 AM

Quote:
For approximately the last 4,000 years their have been laws that have sent bad people to prison. I think that at least 99.99% of people are comfortable with the concept of keeping bad people in prison. So you certainly have a right to your opinion, but you should know that you are swimming upstream. It will continue to be illegal to be a bad person, for the foreseeable future. Even if you disagree.
What?

No it's illegal to murder, rape, steal etc. bad people do these things.

Just being a bad person is not a crime, fantasizing about rape makes you a bad person but apparently it's legal enough to have its own section on xvideos. Bad people murder but if I fantasize about killing you (not conspire, just fantasize) I don't go to jail.

Free societies punish bad actions not bad words or thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events