U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:08 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,341,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
There's more to the story. Apparently, she rejected him and she was the person he was texting AS he was plotting suicide. You know he cared about her deeply due to that fact alone. It was a twisted love story of rejection... he off'ed himself because of her. And she encouraged it.

Yes. She needs to be locked up; not in prison but in a mental institution. She needs serious rehabilitation because of her lack of ingrained empathy for other humans.
If medical experts are confident they can truly rehabilitate her, then I say go with your plan. Otherwise, it would be great if this sociopath could be locked up with the key thrown away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 AM

17,573 posts, read 14,988,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Where did you get this information from? Do you have more that I'm unaware of, or did you make that up? Did she also physically force him into the truck and seal him inside when he had second thoughts, or did she use her mind control powers to finish the job?
I got it from the news reports I watched yesterday. Why the F would I "make it up?"

Old 03-01-2015, 08:47 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,534,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
It is illegal to coerce someone to take another's life. If she helped him plan how to committ suicide then talked him into doing it then she is guilty. Still need to wait for the trial but if tha's what happened she needs to be locked up so she cannot continue to harm others.

I'm so sick of "personal responsibilty" being used as an excuse for people to be cruel to others. Not all damage is phycial, there is also psycholocial damage. Telling a stranger to kill themselves isn't aywhere near as damaging as systematically telling someone who loves you and relies on you to kill themselves and helping them plan it and telling the to get back in and finish the job.

IF her actions were those as displayed in the press then she definitely desrves to be locked up- preferably in a psychiatric center.
I pretty much agree with you Naley. Interesting to watch abusers write their own free pass to abuse others, even when their actions lead to that persons death.

Where was her 'personal responsiblity' to keep herself out of the clutches of the justice system?

Old 03-01-2015, 08:52 AM

797 posts, read 1,004,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
The woman did not kill him directly,but she did encourage him to commit suicide,telling him to get back in his truck.

I am kind of in the middle and do not know what to really think of this.
On one hand,he was fragile already.
On the other hand,she did not hold a gun to his head.

You thought?

Read the story here:

fox6now.com/.../high-school-teen-faces-charges-of-manslaughter-a...

Teen Faces Charges For Encouraging Friend To Commit Suicide: Cops
We really don't know the whole story. Perhaps the kid who killed himself was really pushy and annoying. He could've been the type to keep bothering her everyday, like "if you don't date me I am going to kill myself." As a ploy to force her into dating him. (There are people that try to manipulate like this). Maybe he was relentless and when he was saying he wasn't going to get in his car perhaps she was saying "get back in the car" in a facetious way? Obviously suicide is NO laughing matter, but just playing Devils advocate. Perhaps she was saying it in a way to show him she didn't care about him so he would leave her alone? In a way she could've been calling his bluff. Not sure if you've ever had to deal with someone that cannot accept rejection but sometimes it can get quite annoying. Personally I've never had anyone tell me they'd kill themself because I wouldn't date them but I knew a girl in high school that was famous for obsessing over boys and then she'd play the suicide card as a way to manipulate them into talking to her.

Obviously the right thing to do would've been to 1) not tell him to get back in the car and 2) to notify someone of his mental state. I don't think she is responsible though. He is responsible for his own actions. It does break my heart though that he was in such a fragile mental state. I pray for the family as they heal. How devastating!

Old 03-01-2015, 08:54 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,664,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
Yes it's the law obviously we have established that. I'm not arguing that it's law or not in that state, I'm sure the DA who pressed the charges didn't pull the charge out of her behind. It's also the law in Dubai to execute apostates.

I'm arguing the validity of the law. It should not be illegal to be a bad person, it should not be illegal to be cruel or a bully because that is not something tangible and definite that can be agreed on (ex someone who stabs someone is a murderer and no one can dispute that).

Prosecuting immorality is a pandora box one should not open if you value a free society because immorality is not something that means the same to everyone. I'm willing to wager that if you put it to vote that a majority of the people in Alabaster, Alabama would say that sodomy abortion are immoral whereas I doubt that the people of San Francisco would feel the same.

She is a bad person no doubt in my mind but that doesn't mean she should go to prison because she didn't do anything but speak words.

Yes this was a kid who was loved by his family, and I'm gonna guess they are distraught and looking for someone to blame because the reality of it - that their beloved child is dead because HE chose to end his life - is a hard thing to face.

Take emotions out of it, the law is not about emotions ("the law is reason, free from passion" -Aristotle)

If you take feelings out of it because feelings are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, she didn't do anything but talk.
For me, all the many shoulds in your post go a long way to negate whatever is said. What is done is what is being dealt with, not what should have been done in the first place.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Status: "A delicate snowflake with the vote of a wolverine." (set 12 days ago)

13,323 posts, read 7,507,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
"You all should go kill yourselves. You're stupid and horrible."

See I just said it, if any of you commit suicide, is it my fault? Hell no. Unless someone legitimately put the noose around your neck/administered the poison, it is not their fault that someone kills themselves. You don't have to do whatever people tell you. Yeah, she's a total ((female dog)) and probably a sociopath, neither of which are crimes.

I'm very sad that the person is dead, however tbh someone so weak minded to listen to that wasn't cut out for society and its almost natural selection eliminating the weakest links.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Weak minded people have a right not to be manipulated just to foster someone's personal standing in a community, dont they?

Didnt Adolph Hitler kill the mentally ill, and disabled, having simular thoughts about natural selection? Wasnt he supposed to be a bad guy??
There's a big flaw in your reasoning, ConeyGirl52. Hitler actually killed those people, unlike the girl facing these charges. Text messages do not a charge for manslaughter make. I'm not accepting Clampdown's assertion that suicidal people are not cut out to live anyway, however, I do believe they are ultimately responsible for living, and ending, their own lives.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:54 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,534,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There's a big flaw in your reasoning, ConeyGirl52. Hitler actually killed those people, unlike the girl facing these charges. Text messages do not a charge for manslaughter make. I'm not accepting Clampdown's assertion that suicidal people are not cut out to live anyway, however, I do believe they are ultimately responsible for living, and ending, their own lives.
Im looking at the mental thought process put down by so many on this thread.

The theories are in line with the theories of Nazi Germany. Sure, those people were not coerced into taking their own lives - although Ive only seen information on how many people who were Nazi's committed suicide when the end was emminent. I dont know how many people who didnt want to die in an oven or gas chamber took their own lives instead.

My reasoning in regard to the thought process is not flawed in my opinion. Theories are theories, after all. But, you are entitled to your opinion if your response is based on theories, and not actual face-to-face murders. Hitler had no place for deformed and mentally disabled Germans. He killed them. How could he promote Aryan Supremacy when someone could easily point out that the 'Aryans' had just as many flaws as any other of Earth's peoples?

I'd hate to see naricissists and people that cant be asked to care about anyone but themselves, and those that they feel are more on their level out-weigh the thoughts of anyone who can empathize. Empathy is important to a society.

The thing here is the boy wasnt naturally suicidal - she promoted that in him, according to Police reports. He probably was smart enough to know she was smarter than himself. For whatever reason, he obviously wanted to please her.

The police have numerous texts between them. I dont believe the state would have off-handedly levied the charges against her if they felt it was just another disillusioned kid that sadly bumped themselves off. She looks and sounds like a model child and student on the surface. Im sure the DA would take that into consideration when desiding on whether or not charges should be pressed.

I think the most telling thing about the state's concerns comes in her tweets and actions afterward. Here it would not be absurd to compare her tweets and actions afterward to the husband's who murder their wives, and then nobly and lovingly want to participate in the search to find their missing bodies, while appearing on TV News to display their sorrow for the loss.

Thanks for your post.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 03-01-2015 at 11:19 AM..

Old 03-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Status: "Christine Blasi Ford, Novelist and fiction author" (set 8 days ago)

13,564 posts, read 5,302,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
How do you convey tone in a text?
You don't. I'm talking about the intentions of the texter. Many people who send e-mails or texts do not understand that sarcasm or humor does not come across well.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:02 PM

312 posts, read 334,494 times
Part of freedom is freedom to offend. The spirit of the first amendment was all about protecting unsavory and not so nice things from being prosecuted. That poor girl, her rights are being violated because some idiot was dumb enough to blindly follow, again GOOD RIDDANCE.

Empathy may be important to your society, but empathy isn't something that should be legislated.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:10 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,512,180 times
Scooby Snacks, Accomplices to murder are often convicted with no direct physical action directly tied to a cause of death..committed by the convicted. RICO convictions are also similar in terms of the indirect connection b/w action and conviction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or