U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:11 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,458,376 times

Advertisements

That's why we have such a huge prison population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 12:14 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,523,681 times
Drugs are most of the reason for prison populations rising, trishguard. We're also seeing decades low rates of murder. I'll take that tradeoff.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:16 PM

1,431 posts, read 666,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I got it from the news reports I watched yesterday. Why the F would I "make it up?"
I didn't see any of that information in the OP or the videos that I watched. Can I have some links please?

Old 03-01-2015, 01:23 PM

17,657 posts, read 15,016,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I didn't see any of that information in the OP or the videos that I watched. Can I have some links please?
Teen Faces Charges For Encouraging Friend To Commit Suicide: Cops

"Charges were filed against Carter earlier this month after, cops said, a lengthy investigation revealed she texted with Roy right up to the time of his death.
A police report obtained by the Chronicle said, “Not only did Conrad tell Carter in several of his texts prior to his death that he was scared and didn’t want to leave his family, she continued to encourage him to take his own life, and when he actually started to carry out the act, he got scared again and exited his truck, but instead of telling him to stay out of the truck ... Carter told him to ‘get back in.'

Old 03-01-2015, 01:23 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,133,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
She is charged with involuntary manslaughter. From the link that you provided.

"Involuntary manslaughter is the unlawful killing of a human being without malice aforethought, either express or implied. It is distinguished from voluntary manslaughter by the absence of intention. It is normally divided into two categories; constructive manslaughter and criminally negligent manslaughter, both of which involve criminal liability."

Her actions killed the guy. Thats all that matters. Whether or not she actually believed that he would do it, is not relevant.
While I agree this girl bears some culpability and should be charged with something, her actions did not kill him. He killed himself. He could have chosen not to do it. She could have tried to dissuade him only for him to do it anyway. HIS actions caused his death.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:37 PM

148 posts, read 103,858 times
This thread is a reminder why I loathe this particular sub forum. I couldn't find a greatet collection of self righteous ignorance, lack of empathy and comprehension in the youtube comment section! There is no way a person who drive someone else to suicide can possibly be thought of to possess no responsibility for that person's death. You're basically encouraging this kind of behavior.

P.S This isn't directed toward everybody, just the people who think the girl is *innocent*.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:27 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,671,439 times
Had she left him alone he would have gone home to his parents. She killed him just as sure as if she held a gun and fired it into him. There is a malevolence present in her actions to the young man.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 PM

14,396 posts, read 20,689,158 times
how could she not be guilty? She encouraged him to get back in the truck!! Any sane person would have called 911, told him to stop. Disgusting.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:00 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,341,561 times
I just want to say: For everybody who just dismisses somebody's suicide as that person being "weak", just be aware that you only know what was reported. You may think "Oh, this kid killed himself over a girl. What a wimp". But for all you know, that kid could've suffered through some very traumatic events that left him damaged, and in the state he was in. And just keep in mind that a lot of these traumatic events can happen to anybody. You never know. It could've been some form of sexual abuse or something in his past that left him mentally scarred.

If you're going to say "Oh, well, look at it from the girl's perspective. She was probably just trying to get him off her back", then you should also look at it from the boy's perspective. And before you judge anybody who committed suicide, consider the most traumatic event you had to deal with, and consider that the person who committed suicide might've dealt with something orders of magnitude more horrible.

I'm not going to pretend I know anything more than what was reported. Maybe he didn't go through any trauma, and this really was over this one girl. But we don't know.

As far as this case goes, it's a tragedy, and if the facts are reported correctly (if there were actually texts planning out the suicide and he actually backed off at the last minute and she encouraged him), she should definitely be charged with something. Think of it this way: If somebody's mentally retarded (to the point where they can't make their own decisions), and you manipulate them into doing something, you're partially responsible.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:42 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,479,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
There's more to the story. Apparently, she rejected him and she was the person he was texting AS he was plotting suicide. You know he cared about her deeply due to that fact alone. It was a twisted love story of rejection... he off'ed himself because of her. And she encouraged it.

Yes. She needs to be locked up; not in prison but in a mental institution. She needs serious rehabilitation because of her lack of ingrained empathy for other humans.
She sounds like a psychopath. Mental health treatment rarely helps this.

Or maybe she is just another run of the mill narcissistic that our society seems to be creating more of daily...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or