U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 06:13 AM

770 posts, read 965,222 times

Advertisements

I used to be all about "personal responsibility" but more and more I see this used as an excuse for cruel and callous behavior. The mentality seems to be along the lines of "I can say whatever I want to you about what a worthless waste of a human being you are and I'm totally in the right to say that because you're responsible for yourself".

Telling someone who is committing suicide but then backs out to "get back in the truck" is inexcusable. If this is indeed what happened then I am glad she's being charged. I had an ex-riend in high school who was threatening suicide in what seemed like an attempt to manipulate my actions. I told her mother and she got counseling. Just a little empathy could have potentially prevented this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 06:32 AM

10,416 posts, read 7,500,235 times
If someone's on a roof and you yell for them to jump.... ? Isn't that illegal?

Old 02-28-2015, 06:39 AM

4,952 posts, read 2,572,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
We don't know the whole story. She could have been in a relationship with him that was abusive and he played the suicide card. If you don't come back to me I'll kill myself. Until I hear more I won't blame her for his actions.
We do not know the entire story. My first thought was the same as you have written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So what, the emotional ramblings of a teen girl are now against the law? She is not a mental health professional to assess his mental state, many teens do this attention getting BS all of the time, all she did was babble on under whatever emotions she had brought on from some guy that like her but she did not like him back, and he started the whole suicide BS as a result, and involved her in it.

Her mistake was keeping in contact with the idiot, when she did not want him, she should have ceased communications with him, but teen girls are too stupid to know to do this.

Also, what is the crime again? They charged manslaughter, but what is the crime? Are there any other cases similar to this?
I don't think she was too stupid. I don't think at 18 we have it all together to handle these sort of situations. Not sure we ever do.

Most of us are not Mental Health professionals. I know when my one sons suddenly had a bipolar girlfriend none of us knew how to handle it. When he broke up with her it was a huge mess. Huge mess, even her parents went off the edge telling us it was our fault. There was some crazy stuff that went on. It has been seven years and every time I lock my front door I think of her. That day she barged in...it was insane. It took over two years until she left us alone.

He was not her responsibility. I am sure he had some mental problems, I am sure there were verbal things being said that are not recorded. I am sure he pushed her over the edge to want her to encourage him. In my opinion people who want to blame the girl have no idea what it is like to be involved with a person who is off balance.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:58 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
If she rejected him why were there screenshots of her on ig about loving him and whatnot? this is a weird story for sure.
Maybe she had remorse after the fact, or maybe it was just damage control. Either way this girl is seriously narcissistic.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:20 AM

758 posts, read 583,101 times
Angry It's All Her Fault:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
The woman did not kill him directly,but she did encourage him to commit suicide,telling him to get back in his truck.

I am kind of in the middle and do not know what to really think of this.
On one hand,he was fragile already.
On the other hand,she did not hold a gun to his head.

You thought?

Read the story here:

fox6now.com/.../high-school-teen-faces-charges-of-manslaughter-a...

Teen Faces Charges For Encouraging Friend To Commit Suicide: Cops
No it's all her fault. She is just evil for doing that. I am glad she is facing charges of manslaughter. But also he was an idiot for falling for her.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:23 AM

1,937 posts, read 1,163,207 times
It doesn't matter how old they are. It doesn't matter if they went out before and she rejected him. It doesn't even matter if he mistreated her in some way during their relationship.

Anyone who tells someone else to "get back in the truck" when they are in the act of killing themselves is seriously, seriously messed up in the head.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:30 AM

17,337 posts, read 14,867,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
We do not know the entire story. My first thought was the same as you have written.

I don't think she was too stupid. I don't think at 18 we have it all together to handle these sort of situations. Not sure we ever do.

Most of us are not Mental Health professionals. I know when my one sons suddenly had a bipolar girlfriend none of us knew how to handle it. When he broke up with her it was a huge mess. Huge mess, even her parents went off the edge telling us it was our fault. There was some crazy stuff that went on. It has been seven years and every time I lock my front door I think of her. That day she barged in...it was insane. It took over two years until she left us alone.

He was not her responsibility. I am sure he had some mental problems, I am sure there were verbal things being said that are not recorded. I am sure he pushed her over the edge to want her to encourage him. In my opinion people who want to blame the girl have no idea what it is like to be involved with a person who is off balance.
I agree, except per the reports I saw, he texted her right before and said he wasn't sure he should go through with it...and she convinced him to continue, to get back in the car and do it...sorry, she bears some responsibility there. Then she has the nerve to organize a fundraiser in his memory for research into mental illness

Old 02-28-2015, 10:34 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,207,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So what, the emotional ramblings of a teen girl are now against the law? She is not a mental health professional to assess his mental state, many teens do this attention getting BS all of the time, all she did was babble on under whatever emotions she had brought on from some guy that like her but she did not like him back, and he started the whole suicide BS as a result, and involved her in it.

Her mistake was keeping in contact with the idiot, when she did not want him, she should have ceased communications with him, but teen girls are too stupid to know to do this.

Also, what is the crime again? They charged manslaughter, but what is the crime? Are there any other cases similar to this?
I have to agree with this, simply from a law side, not from a human side. From the human side it is obvious she did wrong in the encouragement factor, but did she know he was going to commit suicide. The only thing she could be charged with is battery. The prosecutors are going to have a very bad time trying to convince someone that it was manslaughter, definition:

"Criminally negligent manslaughter occurs where there is an omission to act when there is a duty to do so, or a failure to perform a duty owed, which leads to a death. The existence of the duty is essential because the law does not impose criminal liability for a failure to act unless a specific duty is owed to the victim. It is most common in the case of professionals who are grossly negligent in the course of their employment. An example is where a doctor fails to notice a patient's oxygen supply has disconnected and the patient dies (R v Adomako). Another example could be leaving a child locked in a car on a hot day."

Source: Manslaughter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did the girl have a duty to tell the boy that he should not commit suicide, believing that he was actually going to commit suicide? That is what the prosecutors are going to have to come up with, and I doubt a jury would destroy a teens life due to the circumstances.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:45 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Did the girl have a duty to tell the boy that he should not commit suicide, believing that he was actually going to commit suicide? That is what the prosecutors are going to have to come up with, and I doubt a jury would destroy a teens life due to the circumstances.
She had a duty not to encourage him to commit suicide. I believe that telling somebody to get back in the car and finish killing themselves is way, way over the line for most decent people.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:46 AM

16,501 posts, read 15,961,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
It doesn't matter how old they are. It doesn't matter if they went out before and she rejected him. It doesn't even matter if he mistreated her in some way during their relationship.

Anyone who tells someone else to "get back in the truck" when they are in the act of killing themselves is seriously, seriously messed up in the head.
I hopes that she rots in prison AND then rots in hell for all eternity.

Instead of telling him to "get back in the truck" and finish killing himself why didn't she tell him to get out of the truck & then she would call 911 or call his parents or someone else who could help him?

It was not a situation where her friend had an incurable illness and was going to die a painful death within weeks when he asked her advice of what to do, he was a sad boy with a temporary problem where she encouraged a permanent, fatal solution.

That was an evil, evil thing for her to do.

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-28-2015 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or