Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 PM

725 posts, read 805,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I understand what you are saying, and as it applies to peaceful demonstrations, and redressing the government with grievances, I agree. When it comes to being a predator on society, I totally disagree.

Thankfully, concerned parents have redressed the government and we have laws already regarding bullies. Especially cyber-bullies.

Thousands of texts telling someone to kill themselves qualifies as bullying. Its not like she simply suggested it in passing, and the topic never came up again. Mentally weak people have a right to life too. Life isnt just about sociopaths seeking personal glory, and their freedom to continue to do so.

How do we corrent bad behavior? By sending a message that its okay - its up to the victim to prevent any and all problems?

Sorry, no. Should all victims readjust their lives to accomodate escaping from percieved predators? What kind of world do you have then? Should they not be able to afford such adjustments, then they should accept their role as victims?

You prosecute them, and even if you lose, you continue to prosecute each and every case. That's the only way to change this behavior. To make their be a consequence to the behavior, is the only deterent.

I think prosecuting(persecuting) people for their speech is a complete violation of their freedom that is the most important human and civil and constitutional right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 03:59 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
I think prosecuting(persecuting) people for their speech is a complete violation of their freedom that is the most important human and civil and constitutional right.
Well, this wasnt public speech. She wasnt tweeting out to the world that this guy should kill himself.

She tweeted out to the world, "I'll never understand why this had to happen." I can agree with her too.
Ill never understand why she kept after this young man to kill himself - except in an attempt to gain personal glory.

Can you honestly say, if he was your son, that you would still feel her right to abuse and manipulate should be protected under Freedom of Speech? No loving parent would ever agree with you. What about that boy's right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

She has personal fame now. She achieved that goal. The world knows who she is, and how sick she is. If there is a way for her to emerge from this 'innocent', God bless her if she is truely innocent. If she isnt innocent, but gets off, whats to prevent her from trying again on some other soul that has not been as fortunate in their fate as she has?

Absolutely nothing.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:22 PM

725 posts, read 805,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post

Can you honestly say, if he was your son, that you would still feel her right to abuse and manipulate should be protected under Freedom of Speech? No loving parent would ever agree with you. What about that boy's right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

I can honestly say that if this were my son I would still support this girls right to say what she said. Criminalizing speech is a very slippery slope. The boy had the right to life, liberty and property and this girl did nothing to infringe on those rights. She made no direct threat of violence, did not engage in violence and didn't steal his property. She expressed her opinion. If you don't want someone's opinion then don't ask him or her or engage in discussion online or via text.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
What exactly is the crime!!?

Not a crime to be an ahole.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:30 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
If she had any idea, even remotely that he was in a compromised state of mind and she encouraged him to commit suicide, away with her.

The trouble is that obviously, she is a compromised person herself. Away with her could mean a mental institution for a good long time.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:59 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
It IS a crime to encourage someone to kill themselves. This girl didn't just say "drop dead" or "go ahead and do it" after manipulative threats. She REPEATEDLY encouraged him to kill himself, helped him think of the method, and bullied him into going through when he expressed his wish to live. That's not just "words" that's a plan. And I don't buy the harassing and abusive ex boyfriend making idle threat story either. These two exchanged countless texts. If he was just being manipulative, the evidence would be right there. And if she was being so relentlessly stalked, surely someone else noticed.

You don't have to be the one who physically causes a person's death to be responsible. Murder for hire accomplices don't actually kill anyone, but they orchestrate it, make arrangements, and encourage it. And they do just as much if not more time than the person who pulls the trigger. I see no difference in what this girl did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events