Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 06:31 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Right. The bottom line is that police officers should be obeying the law/Constitution from the jump.
As should the citizenry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 01:58 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,223,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
If you have large amounts of cash, make sure to have bank receipts/atm receipts with the dates on them with the cash!!
I am a police officer and think that you should be able to have as much cash on you as you want!! As long as there isnt a suitcase with kilos of cocaine too!! lol
the driver in the above video did claim to have his window receipts, the officer could care less.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Be careful citing the first Thanksgiving as proof of benevolence on the part of native folks. It was, in fact a celebration of the first paid "hit"

My son is a tribe member. Choctaw.
And he was present at the first Thanksgiving celebration, making him an expert on the topic. Okie dokie then.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Agreed. It should be noted that this isn't limited to police forces of course. Internal protection occurs virtually everywhere, from one's home to one's government. It's unfortunate and there should be a greater effort made to expose and correct such problems (at all levels) rather than continue concealing the truth, as doing so hurts everyone. People are increasingly prone to dishonesty, at times without even realizing it. That's inherently dangerous to society and it seems to me that it requires much more effort.

I do believe that police ought to be held to a higher standard though, particularly while on-duty. Police are entrusted with access to and use of personal information, a firearm, and the authority to take away your possessions, your freedom, and even your life. Not everyone can, or should, have that ability, and saying "well they're only human" is one step short of excusing abuses of power when they occur. Nobody would excuse a surgeon who operated on a person knowing they'd never wake up because the surgeon wanted to earn more money. Nobody would simply excuse a parent who beat their child to death because the parent got carried away with corporal punishment. The officer takes an oath to defend the Constitution; the doctor takes an oath to do no harm; a parent accepts the responsibility of both creating and caring for new life. These are things that ought to be taken very seriously.

There are limits for all sorts of actions in life, and many of those limits (such as those alluded to above) are necessary. Humans as a species are prone to error but have the ability to learn from mistakes, reflect upon them, and better themselves thereafter. That's why you and I are able to engage in this virtual conversation. If everything were excusable as being a part of the 'human condition,' we'd still be living a tribal existence; selling our women, pimping out our children, and killing our neighbors en masse simply because we can. I can't imagine any thinking individual desiring to return to that way of life, and I suspect you're certainly not an exception.
It's very easy to expect that police officers will hold to that higher standard to which you assign them, and it's also very easy to judge their actions in a desperate situation after the fact. When they encounter the dregs of humanity and their lives or the lives of others are in jeopardy, they don't have the luxury of time to sit down and figure out just how they're going to best handle the situation so that no one gets hurt and the armchair judges that read about the incident will approve. You know the old saying about hindsight being 20-20.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:10 PM

725 posts, read 805,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
One can always contest it in court same as one can fines they charge companies .Nothing stopping people from suing. The Court haven't stop it and the laws allow it your representatives passed.
You seem to be condoning it. Who is more guilty, the guy who tells someone to push one off a bridge or they guy who actually pushes one of a bridge. Cops should not be doing this period. This is unconstitutional, inhumane, and abusive. Abuse should not be rectified after the fact. It should be prevented in the first place.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:12 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,841 times
This is one of the most asinine post, in so many ways, that I've read here! As others have stated, retaining an attorney to try to get back YOUR money can be time consuming as well as terribly expensive, especially considering that thieves have taken YOUR money! So just having the right to contest it doesn't mean everybody has the ability.

Just because something is legal doesn't make it lawful! Yes, those laws were passed further up the line but they're bad law! The "I was just following orders" defense didn't work at Nuremberg and it damn sure shouldn't be a defense in the United States. Cops that engage in this are worse than any other thief!

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Whatever happened to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights? If having $100 in your pocket isn't illegal then having $100,000 shouldn't be either unless it's proven before seizure that it is connected to a crime!

Taking someone's home simply because they can is just damn wrong, especially when the homeowner hasn't committed any crime! In many of these cases there aren't even charges filed! They just steal what's yours!

I hate to wish anything bad on anyone but some of you need a taste of what's going on in this country just so you will wake the hell up! Lots of Americans have fought and died fighting tyranny somewhere else! It's a damn shame that we have to live with it here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
One can always contest it in court same as one can fines they charge companies .Nothing stopping people from suing. The Court haven't stop it and the laws allow it your representatives passed.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:42 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
This is one of the most asinine post, in so many ways, that I've read here! As others have stated, retaining an attorney to try to get back YOUR money can be time consuming as well as terribly expensive, especially considering that thieves have taken YOUR money! So just having the right to contest it doesn't mean everybody has the ability.

Just because something is legal doesn't make it lawful! Yes, those laws were passed further up the line but they're bad law! The "I was just following orders" defense didn't work at Nuremberg and it damn sure shouldn't be a defense in the United States. Cops that engage in this are worse than any other thief!

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Whatever happened to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights? If having $100 in your pocket isn't illegal then having $100,000 shouldn't be either unless it's proven before seizure that it is connected to a crime!

Taking someone's home simply because they can is just damn wrong, especially when the homeowner hasn't committed any crime! In many of these cases there aren't even charges filed! They just steal what's yours!

I hate to wish anything bad on anyone but some of you need a taste of what's going on in this country just so you will wake the hell up! Lots of Americans have fought and died fighting tyranny somewhere else! It's a damn shame that we have to live with it here!
Are you calling for violent action against the police ?

Have you ever served in the military yourself?

Old 03-22-2015, 06:12 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
In all my decades of driving and getting stopped by the cops for one thing or another, I've never been beaten, threatened, assaulted, tasered or robbed by a cop. Hallelujah, I'm a miracle!!!

Same here. Sometimes I let these stories I read on the internet get me all rattled up when in reality they are relatively infrequent occurrences. Kind of like people believe that weather is getting more extreme when it's not, and the world is 'going to hell' when it's no worse than it's ever been.. there's just more media out there and easier access to information.

Have to remind myself that. Some people act like jackasses and have it coming. Treat people like you would want to be treated and be polite around officers.. why make a scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR465HoCWFQ

Old 03-22-2015, 07:02 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepOnKrunkin' View Post
I hope no one is niave enough to believe cocaine/heroin are brought by independent drug cartels? GOD stands for Gold-Oil& Drugs. Dan Smoot & JFK figured this out in the late 1950's.
The DEA was working with Mexico's largest cartel. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Ending the Drug War is the biggest key to ending these illegal searches and seizures and to start to regain our freedoms in this country.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:24 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,119,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Interesting that most money in circulation has traces of cocaine and now THC on it... says alot about drugs and Americas thirst for them

830 all the way ....you be safe out there
Yep, as long as the demand is high someone will supply the drugs.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events