U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:27 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,693,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
The shame is drug dealers and organized crime peddling misery..poison and crime in our communities

That being said... civil forfeiture laws are out of control statistically.. and the stories of departments (corrupted by the lure of money and small budgets) running operations that target regular citizens who either do nothing wrong or commit minor offenses for forfeiture is dead wrong and should be stopped.

I can only comment upon my department's policies

Yes.. we can take someones money only suspected of criminal behavior.. but only under very limited circumstances.. under many layers of review and judicial reflection. We do not take your car if we pull you over with mj for personal use... if we stop you with several hundred pounds AND evidence of trafficking .. yes.. your stuff could get seized.. but even in this instance there has to be property even worth seizing.. and because of the paperwork involved this rarely happens at the patrol level. We dont want your 1995 toyota 4 runner and the Uhaul trailer,,, we might go for the Ferrari and 200k in jewelry... but again.. at the patrol level this rarely happens

In the 80's we did do a hard push for asset seizure (very successfully).. but after a number of years it proved too costly for us (and cost means more than money) unless it was for hundreds of thousands of dollars so our department substantially curtailed it's use.. it was also looked at as a "corrupting influence" (rightly so) by our brass and really only used by narco and organized crime units. That being said.. follow the money.. and if you want to hurt criminals take their money away.. not nickles and dimes... hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Real life example (I have only used forfeiture twice in my career). I received information from a motel manager that a man was dealing out of a motel room.. I watch it and see what I believe to be evidence of sales (arresting two people leaving with drugs who are only too happy to snitch in hopes of a lighter sentence).. A door knock is done..and a Mexican national is in the room.. on the bed is a suitcase with over 250k in it... our narco dog hits on the money (which is evidence in court). A small amount of drugs are found. I tell the suspect he is being charged with sales... asking him whose money it is.. he denies ownership (and yes folks this does happen routinely). He signs a document stating same and the money is seized..and he walks away (only Im sure to be murdered by the cartel later),,,, it still took a year for our department to realize a percentage of this...
Was this wrong.. hell no... that my friends was simple basic police work

I will continue to post "bunk" to much of the police hating crap spewed out on CD.. by people with serious agendas supporting drugs.. (pick your drug but MJ is especially in favor right now) and criminal behavior (I just bet a number of them have been arrested and convicted and now have major chips).. since we have no idea the histories of these people and the many times dubious sources they like to cite.. I will continue to call them out...

When a story has legs I will also post up my opinion.. as I have done so in the past.. I wont tolerate abuse or corruption (but I also know it is less than one percent of police activities.. while CD haters like to make it seem commonplace)... I dont take that cup of coffee..ever... if given and not returnable I tip more than the coffee,,, a citizen (dirtbag or misguided) will NEVER own me

The OP is an avowed hater and as such it is HIS veracity that should ALWAYS be called into question

Is he an 18 year old that got busted for MJ sitting behind a computer screen in dirty underwear smoking a joint unhappy with the world with a domineering mother in the next room calling to him constantly?

Or is he a career criminal that committed felonies against the rest of us having done prison time and soured to the world because of his behavior ?

Its the internet folks.. what is said here would never fly in the light of day... the face of the receiver .. or a court of law
The Philadelphia PD have been out of control with enforcing forfeiture. The seized a mans house whose Son was arrested for felony possesion and dealing. The Son had NO ownership in his parents home yet they said because he lived there and may have sold drugs from the house it was theirs to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 08:50 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,473,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
The Philadelphia PD have been out of control with enforcing forfeiture. The seized a mans house whose Son was arrested for felony possesion and dealing. The Son had NO ownership in his parents home yet they said because he lived there and may have sold drugs from the house it was theirs to take.

Yes, I know the story and I see absolutely nothing wrong with what the Philadelphia police did. I have seen where the police or city housing department will seize people's real estate, and no laws were broken. Those I have sympathy for; this one I do not. The latest on this case is that the city of Philadelphia has reversed its decision and will not confiscate the family's house.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:52 PM

13,266 posts, read 9,993,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Yes, I know the story and I see absolutely nothing wrong with what the Philadelphia police did. I have seen where the police or city housing department will seize people's real estate, and no laws were broken. Those I have sympathy for; this one I do not. The latest on this case is that the city of Philadelphia has reversed its decision and will not confiscate the family's house.
You see nothing wrong with them confiscating their house?

Old 03-02-2015, 01:13 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,947,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
...they also invented games like la cross and fire ball to settle tribal conflicts instead of all out war. The declaration of independence was modeled from the Iroquois Nation Confederacy.
It looks like you are the one in need of the history lesson.
Here's a history lesson for you. From the same Declaration of Independence you mention above:

"...the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian savages, whose known rule of warfare, is undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions."

Old 03-02-2015, 01:32 AM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Right. The bottom line is that police officers should be obeying the law/Constitution from the jump.
The problem is not that cops are scofflaws any more than the average citizen is. The problem is that cops should be held to a higher standard, but aren't. We put special trust in them, and we let them violate that trust with no more consequences than the average citizen would face. Violation of the trust we put in cops should be considered an extremely serious crime. If not, it's the same as fascism. It's the attitude that's steering our course inevitably in the long term direction of fascism. The attitude that cops are just doing their jobs and should not be held to a higher standard than anyone else. It seems like an innocent attitude, but the same can be said of a lot of attitudes of the past that led to some of the worst evils in history.

What fascist types are presently saying about liberals is similar to what Nazi types were saying about Jews in the 1920's. It would have seemed relatively innocent in the 1920's, because they didn't yet know what was going to happen in the 1930's and 40's. For that reason, I consider what's happening with cops and fascist types to be a very urgent problem, that has to be solved, urgently, before it gets out of hand.

For that reason, we need a very strict zero tolerance policy towards wrongdoing by cops. The slightest wrongdoing should automatically get them fired and forever prohibited from police work. But the problem is that most people are leaning towards support of the cops and being lenient on their wrongdoing. Like Germany in the 1920's, they have no way to know what's coming, and no reason to be concerned about it.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:02 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,349,812 times
The Comprehensive Crime Control Act of 1984 said police can seize things without any proof of a crime. I think most of the population would think that is wrong, & probably many police would, too. Thou shalt not steal was in a really old book & may have influenced some to think that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Yawn//police hater.. no story.. bogus...

It makes some wonder about what the criminal history might be of a person with the agenda put forth.. care to enlighten us?

Old 03-02-2015, 06:44 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
I am less concerned about the police confiscating one of my old cars than having them bust down my door on a drug warrant and shoot me even though I am offering no resistance and they have the wrong address. That happened in a nearby town a few years ago.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:46 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,349,812 times
This stealing would not be happening if there wasn't a drug war. On internet polls 96% say they want cannabis to be sold safely in licensed stores, or allow limited personal or caregiver growing to take business away from cartels.

The public wants a crime to be defined as something where another person or their property is harmed, or seriously endangered. As far as cannabis goes, prohibitionist laws are about harming the harmless, it seems. Before the war on God's best plant, harmless people were not normally harmed by the police, unless the police officer was very racist (like many non-police).

If people act like they hate police, it is they are afraid of heavily armed *people* who may lack self-control or may be highly paranoid, regardless of the uniform, or lack of it.

Police commit suicide at a rate about 50% higher than the general public. 26% of those who use cannabis for a medicinal purpose, say they use it to treat depression. Pill companies psychiatric pills don't work well for many as they were designed for about half a century according to a theory, not anything proven. The US Dispensatory of 1851 listed cannabis as a good treatment for all mental health issues. Was in pharmacies about 100 years, until 1937. Doctors knew then, now most don't.
Often toxic pills that often don't work replaced it due to greed (pill patents= $$$$$$$$).

Have you ever thought about if you would favor cannabis legalization if a large pct of the billions from fees & taxes went to law enforcement? Plus, with legalization, cannabis in oil form has been shown to save a higher pct from most cancers & other fatal illnesses. Rick Simpson, then in NS, CA, used his $1.3 million live savings to give free treatments to those whose Docs gave up on their advanced cancers & other fatal illnesses. The cannabis oil saved well over 90% of the roughly 5,000 who came to him. US found out, wanted life sentence for saving so many lives this way!

Recently a Berkeley study had a 94% complete remission rate for those with a variety of stage 4 cancers. Essentially the same results. They were given 1 gram a day of cannabis oil for 90 days. It was 28% cannabidiol (CBD) & 72% THC. 8 things so far have been found in this plant that fight cancer. Doctors who specialize in this plant talk about this this in a You Tube video under cannabinoid research. THC, CBD, CBN (cannabinol), Terpenes, & 4 others are mentioned in the title of this video.
Cannabis has been proven to help 249 conditions. Certified nurse says maybe 600 with more studies.

60% of Americans get cancer, probably because of 85,000 toxins approved for our air, soil, food, water. When should Thou shalt not kill apply? Corporations bribe politicians to approve poisons & block competition. We generally don't see those people & they're probably not on forums or don't say who they are. So what the police do is often the end result of what corps & bribed pols do. Please remember that police officers die from cancer & heart disease. Cannabis in oil form cures. Smoked cannabis can ease mental & physical pain. Just a sample from my est. 15,000-20,000 pages read.

Cannabis widens blood vessels, so it is heart healthy. Recent lie that it caused 3 teens to have strokes would not be medically possible since it doesn't narrow blood vessels or cause clots like tobacco (nicotine) can & they didn't say it caused strokes in older people, so only the young would be unexplainable. Heard of 2 people with pacemakers who use it with no problems. Cannabis is the best way to control anger & makes people non-violent if anything will. It doesn't make a person do anything they normally wouldn't. New Fed study: cannabis fatal crash rates same as non-users.

I just want the killing & punishing of harmless people to stop (stealing, too). The drug war is unpopular with most of the population. CIA is said to be world's largest dealer, director approved by Congress, kill list approved by president. CIA & pill cos. don't want competition.

Cannabis is legal, cheap & smoking it nearly everywhere is OK in North Korea. Why can't we have as much freedom as North Korea? Other drugs are legal there, too.

Anonymously, maybe 10 years ago about 40% police chiefs & sheriffs support at least some medical uses. But now their hot-heated war officers union lobbyists who bribe governors say 100% of police are united against the majority who want cannabis legalized. That's probably the most inflammatory thing to say if police want more approval from the harmless.

I told a couple local police officers I need cannabis because of neurological disorders & he says we have no opinion as we haven't studied it. At last, a couple who don't claim to be experts! As they walked away, one of them said maybe someday I'll need it. I wish there were more that seem human and care. Best wishes to all.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:34 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
More people are killed trying to suppress this drug than will ever die of using it. It is past time for us to ignore the profits of those making money off the suppression and open the market for producers and buyers by selling this, and all the rest of the currently proscribed drugs, in State owned retail stores, like conservative New Hampshire does with hard liquor, and use the profits for more research and rehabilitation of the unfortunates that become addicted to the opiates and similar chemicals.

I have dealt with people intoxicated by both cannabis and alcohol and would much rather deal with the former. Fighting dangerous drunks are difficult to deal with but I've never seen a really aggressive stoner.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:17 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
On internet polls 96% say they want cannabis to be sold safely in licensed stores, or allow limited personal or caregiver growing to take business away from cartels.
In a democracy, the 96% would rule. Under fascism, the pill companies rule, because they have money to bribe the fascists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or