Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:27 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,083,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
It just gets sicker and sicker. Stealing is now considered law enforcement. Do not drive with large amounts of cash or valuables. Cops can now "legally" discover your money sort of the way Europeans "discovered" America while there were people already here. I think they call that precedence.

Police have seized $2.5 billion from citizens who weren't breaking the law.
Yawn//police hater.. no story.. bogus...

It makes some wonder about what the criminal history might be of a person with the agenda put forth.. care to enlighten us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 08:31 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Who is the author of this so-called news story? Good to see your cop hating agenda is alive and well on the current events forum. I'm all for exposing truly corrupt cops or cops who commit crimes, but when your only threads and posts are cop hating, there seems to be a biased agenda at work.
Here is an article from the New Yorker:

Taken - The New Yorker

Quote:
Later, she learned that cash-for-freedom deals had become a point of pride for Tenaha, and that versions of the tactic were used across the country. “Be safe and keep up the good work,” the city marshal wrote to Washington, following a raft of complaints from out-of-town drivers who claimed that they had been stopped in Tenaha and stripped of cash, valuables, and, in at least one case, an infant child, without clear evidence of contraband.
Here's an article on Forbes:

Civil Forfeiture Laws And The Continued Assault On Private Property - Forbes

And another, in regards to a recent change in policy by Holder:

Despite Holder's Forfeiture Reform, Cops Still Have A License To Steal - Forbes

And one on the Washington Post:

Lawmakers say abuses of civil asset forfeiture require reform legislation - The Washington Post

Old 02-28-2015, 08:47 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,217,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_the_crocodile View Post
countdown until someone comes bustling in with their tail all fluffed out, demanding to know why you hate cops so much...

3... 2... 1...
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
yawn//police hater.. No story.. Bogus...

It makes some wonder about what the criminal history might be of a person with the agenda put forth.. Care to enlighten us?
and done.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:

It makes some wonder about what the criminal history might be of a person with the agenda put forth.. care to enlighten us?
How can you so blindly shrug off things that have been documented, followed, reported upon and OBVIOUSLY happening? Are you serious? Are the rest of your fraternity also so indoctrinated into beliefs that you do no wrong?

Quote:
Under the federal Equitable Sharing Program, police have seized $2.5 billion since 2001 from people who were not charged with a crime and without a warrant being issued. Police reasoned that the money was crime-related. About $1.7 billion was sent back to law enforcement agencies for their use.

Last edited by Old Town FFX; 02-28-2015 at 09:07 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Who is the author of this so-called news story? Good to see your cop hating agenda is alive and well on the current events forum. I'm all for exposing truly corrupt cops or cops who commit crimes, but when your only threads and posts are cop hating, there seems to be a biased agenda at work.
Do you believe people can be not anti-cop, but pro-accountability?

Do you think that the "law" has more rights than the citizens they are sworn to protect?

Do you think law enforcement officer should be held to a higher standard, as they are the ones that are supposed to protect, serve and then enforce laws (though more and more it's the other way around)?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:21 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,621,052 times
Quote:

I'm genuinely saddened to read this. I've read a number of your posts, and thought that you were someone who at least made a sincere attempt to see both sides of the issue on the subject of police misconduct. With this one post, you've made it clear how biased you really are.

I'm afraid you've just lost all credibility in my eyes. Whatever contributions you may make to these discussions in the future, I'll never be able to take seriously again, because it's very obvious that you have no objectivity at all - just another knee-jerk agenda guy. What a shame.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:12 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Do you believe people can be not anti-cop, but pro-accountability?

Do you think that the "law" has more rights than the citizens they are sworn to protect?

Do you think law enforcement officer should be held to a higher standard, as they are the ones that are supposed to protect, serve and then enforce laws (though more and more it's the other way around)?
People can, but the OP has proven he is anti-cop. In another of his threads he sympathizes with those who shoot cops. I understand there are corrupt cops and I have had first hand experience with corrupt cops myself. However, I also know that this country would be in a total state of chaos if every cop in the nation decided not to go to work next week. These snotty libs and protesters would be the first to cry for help.

If you are being robbed or assaulted do you call the police or the ACLU?

Old 02-28-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Who do you call when it's the police doing the robbing and assaulting?

Old 03-01-2015, 03:38 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,105,587 times
Quote:
People can, but the OP has proven he is anti-cop. In another of his threads he sympathizes with those who shoot cops. I understand there are corrupt cops and I have had first hand experience with corrupt cops myself. However, I also know that this country would be in a total state of chaos if every cop in the nation decided not to go to work next week. These snotty libs and protesters would be the first to cry for help.

Neither. The cops show up to document the mess, and the ACLU only gets involved in certain cases. I get it. It's just a job. I don't expect you to take a punch on duty. I sure as hell wouldn't either, but too many of your brethren are escalating situations to the point where deadly force is used when a calm voice would have de-escalated the situation.

And the sick situation of police confiscating property without a conviction has gotten so out of hand that the incentives to go after drug busts has directed departments away from their original mission.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:17 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,083,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I'm genuinely saddened to read this. I've read a number of your posts, and thought that you were someone who at least made a sincere attempt to see both sides of the issue on the subject of police misconduct. With this one post, you've made it clear how biased you really are.

I'm afraid you've just lost all credibility in my eyes. Whatever contributions you may make to these discussions in the future, I'll never be able to take seriously again, because it's very obvious that you have no objectivity at all - just another knee-jerk agenda guy. What a shame.
The shame is drug dealers and organized crime peddling misery..poison and crime in our communities

That being said... civil forfeiture laws are out of control statistically.. and the stories of departments (corrupted by the lure of money and small budgets) running operations that target regular citizens who either do nothing wrong or commit minor offenses for forfeiture is dead wrong and should be stopped.

I can only comment upon my department's policies

Yes.. we can take someones money only suspected of criminal behavior.. but only under very limited circumstances.. under many layers of review and judicial reflection. We do not take your car if we pull you over with mj for personal use... if we stop you with several hundred pounds AND evidence of trafficking .. yes.. your stuff could get seized.. but even in this instance there has to be property even worth seizing.. and because of the paperwork involved this rarely happens at the patrol level. We dont want your 1995 toyota 4 runner and the Uhaul trailer,,, we might go for the Ferrari and 200k in jewelry... but again.. at the patrol level this rarely happens

In the 80's we did do a hard push for asset seizure (very successfully).. but after a number of years it proved too costly for us (and cost means more than money) unless it was for hundreds of thousands of dollars so our department substantially curtailed it's use.. it was also looked at as a "corrupting influence" (rightly so) by our brass and really only used by narco and organized crime units. That being said.. follow the money.. and if you want to hurt criminals take their money away.. not nickles and dimes... hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Real life example (I have only used forfeiture twice in my career). I received information from a motel manager that a man was dealing out of a motel room.. I watch it and see what I believe to be evidence of sales (arresting two people leaving with drugs who are only too happy to snitch in hopes of a lighter sentence).. A door knock is done..and a Mexican national is in the room.. on the bed is a suitcase with over 250k in it... our narco dog hits on the money (which is evidence in court). A small amount of drugs are found. I tell the suspect he is being charged with sales... asking him whose money it is.. he denies ownership (and yes folks this does happen routinely). He signs a document stating same and the money is seized..and he walks away (only Im sure to be murdered by the cartel later),,,, it still took a year for our department to realize a percentage of this...
Was this wrong.. hell no... that my friends was simple basic police work

I will continue to post "bunk" to much of the police hating crap spewed out on CD.. by people with serious agendas supporting drugs.. (pick your drug but MJ is especially in favor right now) and criminal behavior (I just bet a number of them have been arrested and convicted and now have major chips).. since we have no idea the histories of these people and the many times dubious sources they like to cite.. I will continue to call them out...

When a story has legs I will also post up my opinion.. as I have done so in the past.. I wont tolerate abuse or corruption (but I also know it is less than one percent of police activities.. while CD haters like to make it seem commonplace)... I dont take that cup of coffee..ever... if given and not returnable I tip more than the coffee,,, a citizen (dirtbag or misguided) will NEVER own me

The OP is an avowed hater and as such it is HIS veracity that should ALWAYS be called into question

Is he an 18 year old that got busted for MJ sitting behind a computer screen in dirty underwear smoking a joint unhappy with the world with a domineering mother in the next room calling to him constantly?

Or is he a career criminal that committed felonies against the rest of us having done prison time and soured to the world because of his behavior ?

Its the internet folks.. what is said here would never fly in the light of day... the face of the receiver .. or a court of law

Last edited by notmeofficer; 03-01-2015 at 05:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events