Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 07:01 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,763,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I did not comment on the other cases you cited, because I am not familiar with them, so I will accept them at face value as an example of police malfesiance until I have researched them, but to lump the Central Park Five in as an example of police malfesiance is not intellectually honest, and does cast some suspicion on whether the other cases are valid as a blatant discrimination issue or a political cause celeb.
I hope you read up on all three cases, especially those of Smith and Stuart, but also on the Central park Five, since you assert no "police malfeasance" was in play there. Perhaps it will open your eyes a bit to see what you cannot see now.

Peace Out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 09:10 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
University of Minnesota Bans Use of Race in Crime Suspect Descriptions | PUNDIT PRESS
The University of Minnesota has banned the use of race when describing crime suspects when only a “limited” amount of information is known about them. Specifically, if the race of the suspect is known, but some other identifiable traits are not, the college will not release the race of the criminal.

Well, it's only my opinion and can somebody tell me, they really think that they will "destroy" racial discrimination by this way?
More censorship at college but as long as it helps blacks, liberals tell us it's ok?
And also, every time when somebody comitted a crime, main description of criminals was his skin color.
Does it mean that now, when thwy will call 911 they will answer like:
1 - Describe thief please, what's his skin color, his clothes?
2 - Skin color? Hmm... I can't tell this, sorry!
What do you think guys?
I think people these days are waaay too sensitive about the subject (race).

Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
It means, if you want to give a description of a suspect, then give a real description. "Black Male" doesn't cut it. Example:

"Armed robbery suspect description: white male, black hoodie, wearing a grey mask, 6'4", slim build, possibly carrying brown bag."

"Armed robbery suspect description: black male."

Do you see a difference there? You never hear "Armed robbery suspect description: white male." People would laugh at that description. But for some reason "black male" is considered a good enough description by many people.
No it's not. I've never heard a description like that. It usually involves clothing, approximate weight and height, maybe approximate age. Otherwise no description is given at all. It may just say the suspect was wearing a mask or something else. Any description without some unique identifier like tattoos is going to be vague enough to be worthless unless coupled with a vehicle description or something.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:11 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
No it's not. I've never heard a description like that. It usually involves clothing, approximate weight and height, maybe approximate age. Otherwise no description is given at all. It may just say the suspect was wearing a mask or something else. Any description without some unique identifier like tattoos is going to be vague enough to be worthless unless coupled with a vehicle description or something.
Thats my point. I have seen thousands of descriptions of "black male" and no other information. Regardless this policy only applies to those situations where race is known and no other information. This is part of a movement to stop releasing worthless descriptions of suspects, for no other reason then to make some racial point.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:09 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,793,375 times
On a loosely related note:

I used to do some IT consulting for the LAPD, and at the time (about 10 years ago), they had recently banned the use of "master" and "slave" terminology regarding hard drives and other internal devices. It may not still be in existence because the nature of those descriptive terms is barely relevant anymore when it comes to hardware, but it made documentation at the time VERY difficult.

We had to refer to them as "device" and "captured device". It led to conversations with IT staff like this:

"Ok, so once this is done, you can configure the captured device"
"You mean the slave drive?"
"No, no...the CAPTURED DEVICE"
"What's a captured device?"
(explanation of a slave drive)
"That's a slave drive"
"Not here, it isn't."

Old 03-03-2015, 08:55 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at?

You backdoor-claimed that "The Left" doesn't want to admit that suspects in crime are usually black, which according to FBI Crime Stats, is not the case in the majority of crimes in this country, including the ones I listed above, especially rape.
In proportion to the population, they are.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:14 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
In proportion to the population, they are.
In the crimes I listed earlier in response to your post, no they are not.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:21 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,502,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

If a college campus issues an alert saying "Be on the lookout for a black male" doesn't that make every black male on campus a suspect? You don't see how that could possibly cause problems, really?
Are black males at the UofM so crime prone that 'black male' is a common occurrence on campus crime alerts ?

There are roughly 5 alerts / year that would be affected by the new policy. I have no idea how many of those say black male, white male, Hispanic female, etc..

Remember, these are campus alerts, intended primarily for those on campus to take precautions if they choose to. If I lived there, my preference would be to know a sexual assault or burglary was committed by a white male than not receive any alert. If that makes white males feel bad, tough.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:28 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Are black males at the UofM so crime prone that 'black male' is a common occurrence on campus crime alerts ?

There are roughly 5 alerts / year that would be affected by the new policy. I have no idea how many of those say black male, white male, Hispanic female, etc..

Remember, these are campus alerts, intended primarily for those on campus to take precautions if they choose to. If I lived there, my preference would be to know a sexual assault or burglary was committed by a white male than not receive any alert. If that makes white males feel bad, tough.
How is it going to help you stay safe to know a "white male" committed a crime, when you're surrounded by white males? Why would it help you to know it was a white guy if nothing else is known about him? It has nothing to do with making anyone feel bad.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:30 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
those morons on KQ are always going on and beeotching about how the descriptions don't include race (i.e. identify blacks), proof that it's probably a bad idea to do so. Always do the opposite thing morons/red necks think you should do and you'll come out ahead in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events