U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 06:07 PM

17,205 posts, read 14,805,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Back when I was 15, my 12 year old brother was getting bullied by a kid on his bus. As his big sister, I decided to put an end to it. I went to the bus stop and literally tackled the bully when he got off the bus. I grabbed his shirt and told him not to mess with my brother ever again.

He didn't mess with my bro again

I think the shame was on the bully for getting tackled by a girl from what my brother said

Edit: back to original topic, hitting a 5 year old is ridiculous, they don't quite understand yet.
That's different, you were a kid, too. My brother protected me, too, as did my best friend in junior high. Not the same as your mom marching into the middle of it in front of everyone though, that thought still makes me cringe for the poor kid.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 06:19 PM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Back when I was 15, my 12 year old brother was getting bullied by a kid on his bus. As his big sister, I decided to put an end to it. I went to the bus stop and literally tackled the bully when he got off the bus. I grabbed his shirt and told him not to mess with my brother ever again.

He didn't mess with my bro again
LOL! I did the exact same thing, except it was my little sister getting bullied. Little p.o.s. never touched my little sister again.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:32 PM

30,402 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

You don't know? Allow me: That dame had no business striking anyone else's kid. Period.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:36 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,891,490 times

The way people were commenting here, I was half expecting to see the woman drag the kid out of his seat and beat the living crap out of him.

Instead I saw a woman get the kid's attention and spoke a few words to him. Her hand moved but did she deliver the knockout blow i was expecting? No, I didn't see physical contact. No one can in that tape and it is not admissible evidence as far as slapping the kid is concerned. The other kids were too busy acting up to really notice. Anything most of them have to say is scripted by an adult for the sake of making an example of the woman.

Much ado about nothing.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:10 PM

7,800 posts, read 5,444,262 times
This dumb woman should know that you don't touch somebody's child. A 5 year old no less. Of course it doesn't matter the age of the child and she should not take matters in her own hands even if he were bullying your kid. Deal with the parent...not the child.

Glad she was arrested.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:01 PM

1,256 posts, read 874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
The problem is the school administrators, perhaps the police. For the latter, we've all heard stories of how some police officers trivialize the accounts of rape and domestic violence victims. I'm afraid we'd see something similar with victims of bullying -- even with teenage victims. A similar situation goes for the school administrators. The only saving grace of all this is that modern school buses do have video surveillance.
I wish this had been the case back in 7th grade for me Got bullied on the bus for the entire year, and this was back when mandatory bussing/integration in the LAUSD had just taken hold and we were getting sent to schools an hour away. The girl used to deliberately sit behind me so she could beat me upside the head with her big ol' honkin' silver rings she'd turn around just for that purpose.

But back then nobody did jack squat.:roll eyes:

My son's bus has video surveillance thankfully.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:03 PM

1,256 posts, read 874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
That only works on the parents of a bully who strive in utmost good faith to inculcate civilized and humane memes and behaviors in their children. Some parent's simply are not going to care one way or another. It only works if the principle actually has a policy of viewing the tape, then calling a meeting with the parents using the videotape as hard evidence of their kids' behavior, then warn the parents to do something about the kid's behavior or else ban their kid from the bus.
Exactly.

Think about it: A bully is likely the child of former bullies.

The apple never falls that far from the tree!

Old 03-02-2015, 02:25 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,945,131 times
If I were a child, I would be proud to have my mom slap a bully. From then on, I would tell the bullies, "don't mess with me or my mom will slap you!"

But moms should watch "The Slap" on TV before they get any ideas.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:54 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
The mom had the right idea but the wrong method. she and the bus driver should have reported the bullying to the Vice Principal, AKA the Enforcer.

I was a eyeglasses wearing skinny little kid until I was about 14. I was bullied quite a lot in school. Between 13 and 15 puberty hit and I gained about 40 pounds of muscle and did a lot of catching up in the next couple of years. The bullies left me and my friends alone after a couple of incidents. The school VP and I became well acquainted.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:28 AM

1,231 posts, read 976,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Maybe bullying is getting worse because they see the poor example many of the adults around them are setting.
THIS. You nailed it. Spot on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events