Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:12 AM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
I wasn't really saying I'd have wanted my mother to get on the bus and smack the little brat. I'd never have wanted my mom to show her face in my school or on the bus at all, actually. Some other method would have been vastly preferable.

Still, I cannot really blame this mother for acting on instinct. Nothing pisses a mother off more than watching her child be treated badly by other kids when they haven't done anything wrong

Bullying sometimes gets severe enough to warrant adult intervention. We've all surely heard enough stories about bullied kids being pushed to the brink of suicide.
Right, but this kid now is going to be ostracized not only by the bully now, but all the kids...this little boy is now the little boy with the crazy mom....no one is going to go to this kid's birthday parties ever, cause that's where the crazy lady lives who slaps kids...so while I understand, it's not about the parent, it's about the kid, and IMO she wasn't thinking and she made things much worse for him. I would feel even more strongly if the kid was 12 than 5, because at that age her son would be made to suffer for mom's actions even more so than at 5. Putting the final peg in the death of his social life might protect him, but it's certainly not going to make him more likely to thrive in school nor be happy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 10:14 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Right, but this kid now is going to be ostracized not only by the bully now, but all the kids...this little boy is now the little boy with the crazy mom....no one is going to go to this kid's birthday parties ever, cause that's where the crazy lady lives who slaps kids...so while I understand, it's not about the parent, it's about the kid, and IMO she wasn't thinking and she made things much worse for him. I would feel even more strongly if the kid was 12 than 5, because at that age her son would be made to suffer for mom's actions even more so than at 5. Putting the final peg in the death of his social life might protect him, but it's certainly not going to make him more likely to thrive in school nor be happy there.
My initial post was a gut reaction, I guess. *hangs head*

Hate bullies in the worst way.

Agree with your post.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:21 AM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Not smart. Children have a way of settling their own scores, but for an adult to assault a child over something between kids is wrong on so many levels, unless maybe if you are that bully-childs parent.
Not only that, but this is part of the problem when mothers get involved instead of having the dads deal with it. Dad's teach their sons to fight back and when that happens, most bullies move on to targets that wont fight back.

I would note that if the video is all that happened, she barely touched the kid, almost akin to swatting a mosquito off the kid. While not condoning it, she clearly did not intend to hurt the kid, nor did she.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
My initial post was a gut reaction, I guess. *hangs head*

Hate bullies in the worst way.

Agree with your post.
I understand though. When people say "don't you wish you were a kid again?" my first thought is "H*ll no!"

Old 03-01-2015, 10:50 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Any adult who slaps, spanks or bits any child is wrong. Period.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:00 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,555,912 times
Some kid much bigger than me in middle school was bullying me on the bus so I kicked him hard in the nuts. The bus driver watched and just smiled.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:13 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
A 5 year old? Three years ago that child may have still been in diapers. Wow....

Old 03-01-2015, 11:19 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think 5 year olds have this level of thought process. A 5 year old wants to be protected. If anything the other kids will be afraid to mess with the lady's son again. Now if they were in middle or high school this would be something the child wouldn't live down.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:40 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I'd ideally like to live in an area where community members are able to discipline my children if they are caught acting out of line, but this wasn't discipline. At least it wasn't constructive discipline in my view and threatens to do much more harm than good. Indeed, one doesn't discipline a 6 year old by SLAPPING HIM for engaging in what could have been nothing more than adolescent roughhousing. Note, under my "ideal" scenario, the community discipline could only take place if the community member/neighbor personally observed the wrongdoing and immediate action was needed to address the matter/stop further abuse. Otherwise, the community member/neighbor needs to go the child's parent and, barring being successful there, to the authorities, whether at school or elsewhere.

Still, my situation is only "ideal." People like this woman show me that you can't just trust others to properly discipline your children in these/some parts as some people are just downright crazed!

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 03-01-2015 at 12:15 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I don't think 5 year olds have this level of thought process. A 5 year old wants to be protected. If anything the other kids will be afraid to mess with the lady's son again. Now if they were in middle or high school this would be something the child wouldn't live down.
Right, but the poster had said it would have been more appropriate had the child been 12 than 5..that is what started that string including the post you quoted. She has since agreed she said that too hastily, and it's done. I do disagree though with your point...kids, even young kids, just want to fit in...they get bullied because they don't, so doing something to make them stand apart even more is going to be as traumatizing to them as the bullying incident itself. When all the little kids on the bus think Joey's mom is weird and scary, and their parents are talking about how out of line and crazy Joey's mom is, Joey is going to suffer for that socially even at 5, JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events