Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:26 PM

16,548 posts, read 8,584,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Thank you for the good advice in both posts. My family did have a dog once who was a real food hound and had a bottomless pit for a stomach. I love and miss him but could currently not afford him. I would probably go for a mutt type dog not a purebred because I have read they are normally healthier. I would want a medium sized or small dog because they eat less. I would be interested to know which breeds require more care and which are less high maintenance? I would like a loving, sweet, smart dog who can protect my daughter and I by barking and appearing dangerous but not actually being dangerous. Living in Florida I worry that some long haired breeds would find the heat hard to take, and I told my daughter I do not want a dog that drools or farts.

We would not go to a breeder. I would go to a shelter or as a second option take a dog who's owner can no longer care for him/her due to health, age, or financial problems. I know it would give another person a lot of happiness and relief to know their beloved pet they were forced to give up was going to a good home.
Your welcome, and are doing the right thing by asking questions and looking for information to find the best fit. There are plenty of places to do research on dogs health, lifespans, general trainability/temperament, etc.
Though just hitting the bullet points, a series called Dog 101 is available for viewing on YT to help get you started. Here is one to get you started, though I don't think this particular breed is what you have in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXzZwEauNng

As to mutts being healthier, I would strongly disagree. A mutt, depending on what mixture it is can be very unhealthy or healthy. Remember you will not have any idea of it's traits, temperament, etc.
This is not to say you should shun them, as Bengi type dogs can be splendid companions. However if you are looking for specific traits, getting a specific breed of dog will offer you more flexibility.

When discussing your needs and your daughter, look more in the watch dog category rather than guard dogs. Many a midsized dog can offer deterrence but not be particularly dangerous. Good luck finding one that does not pass gas, as all creatures do. Obviously I know what you are meaning, as in excess. Again the one I linked is more for amusement, as they do not fit your needs in many areas, not to mention passing gas.
Though I would not discourage you from going to a shelter, I really like your idea of adopting a dog someone can no longer keep due to certain circumstances. It might afford you a better opportunity to get to know the dog and it's history. Just be upfront in telling them what your needs are, and ask specific questions. If it seems like a good fit, you might be getting a great companion for life. If you have any concerns, politely pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 12:54 PM

18 posts, read 17,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The AKC is a dog registry. How people raise the dogs they register is not the AKC's responsibility. Just like parents, dog owners and breeders should take responsibility for caring humanely for their animals. The AKC offers ways in which dogs can be registered who are then spayed or neutered to discourage the breeding of unwanted litters. These dogs marked as altered by AKC are then ineligibile to register any offspring of their own. There are also certain events spayed and neutered purebred dogs can participate in. The AKC is about much more then merely breeding purebred dogs.

These are also the 'purebred but no papers' dogs that litter craigslist and even puppyfind. A reputable breeder (one who health tests, shows their dogs in conformation/work/agility/obedience) usually has a waiting list for puppies. BYBs and puppymills and owners who 'just want to recoup what they paid for their dogs with one litter' will many times overwhelm the local rescue groups with unsold litters of puppies.

There are lots of 'dobermans' near where we live. Taking a close look, I can see why they're in rescue groups (the lucky ones) and shelters. Owners not bothering to do their homework with breed requirements, issues (temperment being a BIG thing), health, allow their dogs to reproduce with no concern as to who will get the puppies. Where I live (south TX), it's not uncommon to see people sitting in the large parking lots by the mall/walmart/'pulga' (literally, 'flea') with a sad-looking mama dog and a crate filled with puppies and this is how people get their dogs.

For those that condemn AKC, you should also do the same with CKC and the other alphabets of registries, and take the complaints (justifiable, IMHO, since the domestic dog is a highly social animal and shouldn't be raised like cattle) of puppymills to the state's agricultural departments and the USDA.

AKC can condemn a puppymill, but they have ZERO enforcement ability to control what a puppy mill can and cannot do.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:28 PM

468 posts, read 582,501 times
Default well.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
That my friend is a recipe for disaster. God willing you will never experience a tragedy, but you certainly have the elements of one to happen.
We had the one pit from 8months.............he is now 11years...........never a problem. The key is to immediately take them to a dog park for socialization.

The other one is 1 years old. Loves every human he meets. The kids they are older kids, but they are taught to respect them because they are "work" dogs with certain instinct also, because they are strong dogs. Kids have to be taught that dogs are not to be bullied or harassed or teased, just like any other "child." Dogs must be respected , they are good friends and must be treated as such.

We also sponsored another pit for a deployed soldier for a year. No problem but yes, we minded the dogs just like any of the kids and were there for any issues, to correct right away.
The main key with kids and dogs is the kids have to be taught to RESPECT these powerful animals.
So far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events