Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 01:32 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,537,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I disagree that breeders take away from potential homes. First of all, most dogs in shelters are NOT cute puppies that were abandoned because of over supply. Most dogs in shelters are adolescent dogs that have behavior problems that their owners were too lazy to deal with. Or older dogs who were taken to a shelter because their owner put (fill in the blank - new boyfriend, moving and can't take dog, etc) over the dog.

As for health issues, you have to understand again how the AKC is run. They are an registry, made up of breed clubs. Don't like how German Shepherds look in the rear (which I agree with) - blame the breed club. They wrote the standard and turn a blind eye to poorly bred dogs. One such breed that is mentioned is the Pug - which is the breed that I own. There are a LOT of poorly bred dogs out there, with horrible health issues. BUT, many of those issues have to do with them being TOO FAT. Pug can't breathe? Chances are they are grossly obese. That's not the AKC's fault. I know many pug breeders. They health test, and have dogs that live far longer than the backyard bred Pugs for sale on craigslist. I just lost my 16 year old Pug, whose parents were both breed champions. He was healthy, fit and active his entire life, and earned many agility and obedience titles, showing until he was 10 years old.

I do agree that cute puppies are what a lot of people want and adult dogs just like adult cats may get overlooked.

Sorry you lost your pet pug. It sounds like he lived to a nice old age and was happy and loved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I know this question was for someone else, but I'll answer with my opinion.

I agree that breeding for looks over health is wrong. But the goal of the AKC and the breed parent clubs who set the standards is the most healthy dogs who can perform the task the dog was bred to do. Every parent club focuses on the health of the dog and the longevity of the breed.

Contrary to popular belief, AKC conformation shows are not "beauty contests". They are to judge the best breeding stock based on the function of the specific dog and the breed standard.

I agree that there are breeds that have parts of their standard that seem to not make sense, but I encourage anyone to read up on that standard and understand why they are being bred that way.

I have been involved in conformation dog shows for a decade, and have never met anyone who didn't love each and everyone of their dogs, and make breeding selections based purely on improving the breed. These are not puppy millers, at all. No conformation breeder would ever even think of selling a dog in a store, or over the internet without an in depth home check. Most I know won't even breed a litter until they have homes alrady lined up for all of the puppies.

I am sure individual breeders do make sure their dogs only go to safe loving homes but, I do not see how you can say that these dog shows and breeder organizations care about the dog's health when they clearly promote and encourage unhealthy, painful, and even deformed appearances to become the accepted standard for many dog breeds?

Old 03-03-2015, 01:42 PM

9,865 posts, read 14,059,203 times
Quote:
I wish there was a way to find out who gets another dog after turning in one to a shelter. Those people are the true problem.
100% agree.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
How many adult dogs were turned in versus those adopted out? I'm pretty sure almost all puppies find homes, but most adult dogs, sadly, do not.

And the reason those adult dogs were adopted out is most likely because they had few issues. Also, notice I didn't say they actually had behavior problems. I said they were turned in because of behavior problems - very different issues. Some people consider lack of housebreaking a behavior issue, when it fact they just can't be bothered to pay attention to their dog.

I wish there was a way to find out who gets another dog after turning in one to a shelter. Those people are the true problem.

A lot of the dogs that are given up are purebred akc approved dogs not just hybrid mutt type dogs. Any normal dog behavior can become a "problem" when the owner did not research what to expect from the breed of dog they adopted and whether or not the breed will be best for them.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effielin View Post
It is very fashionable now to "adopt" mixed breed dogs from animal rescue groups that sell.. oops, adopt out the dogs/cats, etc for hundreds of dollars, while also collecting hundreds more dollors that are donated because they are a "rescue group." Someone has to be breeding those rescue dogs.. and its not AKC breeders doing it .. yes, I realize there are breed specific rescue groups.. thats why its almost impossible to find a purebred dog at the pound, those groups snatch the dogs up in a hurry. I wanted a poodle... and a local rescue group had one from the pound.. ten years old and I could "adopt" her for $500....

And I use to own racing greyhounds and while I never raised them myself, most of the farmers and trainers I dealt with, and the people employed at the local greyhound race track were good, honest people.. not above selling me the slowest dog on the farm, but that was business, not anything personal..lol.

Charging $500 for a shelter dog is ridiculous.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I am sure individual breeders do make sure their dogs only go to safe loving homes but, I do not see how you can say that these dog shows and breeder organizations care about the dog's health when they clearly promote and encourage unhealthy, painful, and even deformed appearances to become the accepted standard for many dog breeds?
what are your thoughts on circumcision?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
what are your thoughts on circumcision?
No comment lol . Actually my only comment is that circumision is a surgical procedure, an operation, and that is not the same thing as an unhealthy physical condition bred into a living creature for a stylish appearance .

Old 03-03-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
No comment lol . Actually my only comment is that circumision is a surgical procedure, an operation, and that is not the same thing as an unhealthy physical condition bred into a living creature for a stylish appearance .
what specific breed/ condition are you referencing?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:47 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,875,114 times
Quote:
I disagree that breeders take away from potential homes. First of all, most dogs in shelters are NOT cute puppies that were abandoned because of over supply. Most dogs in shelters are adolescent dogs that have behavior problems that their owners were too lazy to deal with. Or older dogs who were taken to a shelter because their owner put (fill in the blank - new boyfriend, moving and can't take dog, etc) over the dog.

As for health issues, you have to understand again how the AKC is run. They are an registry, made up of breed clubs. Don't like how German Shepherds look in the rear (which I agree with) - blame the breed club. They wrote the standard and turn a blind eye to poorly bred dogs. One such breed that is mentioned is the Pug - which is the breed that I own. There are a LOT of poorly bred dogs out there, with horrible health issues. BUT, many of those issues have to do with them being TOO FAT. Pug can't breathe? Chances are they are grossly obese. That's not the AKC's fault. I know many pug breeders. They health test, and have dogs that live far longer than the backyard bred Pugs for sale on craigslist. I just lost my 16 year old Pug, whose parents were both breed champions. He was healthy, fit and active his entire life, and earned many agility and obedience titles, showing until he was 10 years old.
Wrong. Most animals in shelters are not behavioral issues. Have you even gone to a shelter? I only adopt from them and work with many. When someone buys from a breeder a dog in a shelter dies.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:59 PM

185 posts, read 195,390 times
When some lazy bum doesn't spay or neuter his dog, and a litter of puppies no one wants is born, thats when a dog dies in a shelter... AKC breeders have nothing to do with it. Most breeders have waiting lists and sell them for good money, they don't dump them at the local shelter.. but if you know of a poodle some breeder wants to dump, I will be glad to take it before a rescue group gets it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events