U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 04:37 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,933,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No matter how sweetly intentioned, people aren't allowed to show up at my kids' schools to interrupt the day with cupcakes. The children are busy. Take them out for ice cream afterward.

I suspect the reality of what happened only dimly resembles this story.

She no doubt slipped a file to the kids so they can cut the jail cell bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 04:46 PM

12,089 posts, read 5,661,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Regarding background check - another friend of mine was in an abusive relationship (he was the abuser), lazy deadbeat, and all around scoundrel (yes, I have friends like that, judge me). He applied for the Sheriff and the Police and they Both accepted him. The Sheriff's background check turned up some red flags and I was one of the reference that the Sheriff's office called. I presented my friend in best light possible (of course!) and then the person on the other line tried to challenge me - what about walking off his last job? What about the abuse that his ex-girlfriend told us? I made up some great BS on the spot - his ex-gf is a liar! She cheated on him! She hated him and would do anything to sabotage his career! Etc, Etc.

Mmmm, you sound like such a gem as well.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:55 PM

13,553 posts, read 7,251,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Another cop-hater thread. Nothing to see here.
No - a case of unnecessary force. Oh, I guess he could have shot her in the head, my mistake!

She was NOT on school property - she was on the street, I'm assuming a public street using her phone - so she HAD in fact complied....was she supposed to be 100 yards away? Because there also was NO restraining order.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:23 PM

38,701 posts, read 15,569,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
She was NOT on school property - she was on the street, I'm assuming a public street using her phone - so she HAD in fact complied....was she supposed to be 100 yards away? Because there also was NO restraining order.
This only her claim. There is absolutely no proof of this.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:33 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,533,882 times
Overall, with the interaction Police have with the public on a daily basis, even though it may feel like its happening quite often, it probably in reality is in the single digits percentage-wise, that any given interaction is going to end up going extremely bad.

Some times it happens to them too. Imagine having to deal with coming up on someone eating someone elses face, as an example. That's real nightmare stuff to me. That interaction went extremely bad and the officers responding were only helping, given the circumstances.

Im sure there are many other gruesome examples, but its not a one-way street on the horror encountered. I can see areas inundated with crime also holding the most corruption - if indeed corruption always has to exist. Its just logical it would be easier for anyone having corruption all around them to slip, or maybe fall into it, themselves a bit sometimes. I dont think it is - and I hope its not - the majority nationwide.

I may not appreciate what the Police do when it comes to giving me a ticket for something; but overall, I wouldnt want to live in a world without them. Im not prepared for anarchy.

To all the 'regular cops' out there - thank you very much, officers.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:33 PM

8,179 posts, read 9,407,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Another cop-hater thread. Nothing to see here.
One of these days the cops will get their acts together and quit behaving so badly. Then people won't hate them. Then cop-hating threads will fade away. But until such day, these threads will persist thanks to cops' own actions. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:24 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,481,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
LOL. Let me tell you about the police friends that I do know.

In college I had a friend who is in the force. He had morning shifts on weekends and Friday/Saturday nite we always partied well pass bedtime. He would be really hammered and then had to get up and go to "work" in the morning. At the time, we thought it was quite amusing - such a bad ass he was. He lived with his older sister and she would yelled at us for taking her brother out to get wasted when it was he who was the party animal and quite possibly alcoholic. Now, just imagine this dead tired cop still recovering from the night before out there playing hero.

Regarding background check - another friend of mine was in an abusive relationship (he was the abuser), lazy deadbeat, and all around scoundrel (yes, I have friends like that, judge me). He applied for the Sheriff and the Police and they Both accepted him. The Sheriff's background check turned up some red flags and I was one of the reference that the Sheriff's office called. I presented my friend in best light possible (of course!) and then the person on the other line tried to challenge me - what about walking off his last job? What about the abuse that his ex-girlfriend told us? I made up some great BS on the spot - his ex-gf is a liar! She cheated on him! She hated him and would do anything to sabotage his career! Etc, Etc. My friend got accepted. So background check my donkey, these things are so easy to beat.
I know, whats up with that? Whenever there is another story about a "bad" cop, and they start going over his records, there are always all kinds of ****. Like DUIs and domestic violence charges are always there. Yeah, there is a extensive background check to become a cop all right. If you don't got at least a few domestic violence arrests on your record, they are not going to hire you.

Oh you got arrested for beating up your wife. Excellent, now you are the kind of cop we want to have on the force. Somebody who isn't afraid to beat up women, and children and old people alike.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:26 PM

262 posts, read 200,464 times
90% of cops are sick monsters . They turn my stomach .

Old 03-03-2015, 07:42 PM

337 posts, read 193,788 times
Default maybe too rigorous tests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I think you might want to rethink what you said...

Can you pass a multi-faceted background... drug test (on-going)... written and oral psych exam... polygraph and voice stress analyzer,, medical exam.. oral interview board.. run a pat test,, go to an academy ..pass it,, get through probation... have a supervisor review your every action and get videotaped or videotape yourself for them?

Police today are some of the most rigorously tested public servants there are ...

People like you worry me as a policeman because I know with your preconceived notions that my encounter with you may end badly..

Really sick...

Your profession as a police officer is to protect and serve. All those tests sound like a bunch of nonsense.
Many people are hired because of race quotas, relatives they have in the force or the "good old boy" system. Those tests reveal that to be hired a person must be free from being a liar, cheat, drunk and the like. Really? Cops have a very high alcoholism rate. A very high divorce rate as well. We are 8x more likely to be killed by a cop than a terrorist. Electrical engineer tased at his housewarming party sues Madison County deputies | AL.com

Old 03-03-2015, 07:46 PM

9,149 posts, read 5,464,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Mmmm, you sound like such a gem as well.
I know right? I would have fitted in as a cop. But at the time, I also had some gangbanger friends who would not be cool with me joining the force. Not that I care about their opinions, but the funny thing is, I always found my gangbanger friends to be more upstanding than my police friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or