U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 08:19 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,569,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
We have a justice system, cops aren't supposed to be the judge and jury. Of course there are times when a cop needs to shoot to kill, but the instances of brutality are clearly on the rise.

Do you not agree there is a problem? Do you not agree the police currently have a poor public perception, whether justified or not? Do you not feel the public's perception needs to change in order for the decent police officers to be more safe?

Denying the problem will not make it go away.
I agree the police have a problem with the public's trust and quite a bit of it is well deserved. I also think some people consider it a badge of honor to disobey the law and fight back when being requested to do something asked by a police officer. It goes both ways. How to solve it is anyone's guess but BOTH sides are to blame.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 08:28 AM

419 posts, read 999,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I agree the police have a problem with the public's trust and quite a bit of it is well deserved. I also think some people consider it a badge of honor to disobey the law and fight back when being requested to do something asked by a police officer. It goes both ways. How to solve it is anyone's guess but BOTH sides are to blame.
I completely 100% agree with you. The level of entitlement, in my opinion, is at an all time high in this country. The police need to tread lightly and carry a big stick. Law enforcement needs to be pro active though in regards to the public's perception, they need to stop denying the problem exists and they desperately need to get a handle on the situation, one of the things they need to do includes getting rid of the cops who are only going to add to the existing problem.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:33 AM

13,266 posts, read 9,991,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
LOL I'm guessing that's because there are several hundred thousand more police than terrorists in the US. Based on that logic it's 10x more likely you'll be killed by a teacher than a mortician.
I could break it down to you in so many ways

Old 03-05-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post

Fighting back is different than disobeying the law in context.

Questioning an officer is different than "fighting back".

People have a right to question the Police, people do not have the right to fight back when not justified.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:36 AM

682 posts, read 474,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
We have a justice system, cops aren't supposed to be the judge and jury. Of course there are times when a cop needs to shoot to kill, but the instances of brutality are clearly on the rise.

Do you not agree there is a problem? Do you not agree the police currently have a poor public perception, whether justified or not? Do you not feel the public's perception needs to change in order for the decent police officers to be more safe?

Denying the problem will not make it go away.
I believe that the police have had a poor public image since there have been police. I believe that the vast majority of police shootings and "brutality" is for the most part justified. I've seen no evidence that unjustified police violence is on the rise. The vast majority of the the public who have a poor public opinion of the police have such inherently and without cause. For every one case of unjustified and excessive force there are tens of thousands of proper policing events. Yes, the police would be safer if the public perception was correct but there are no words or actions that can make people see the actual reality. Unfortunatley being a cop will never be safe.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:38 AM

If an officer of the law is breaking the law, he's therefore a criminal, and should no longer be held as an officer of the law.

If you don't know the laws, you shouldn't be an officer.

Obviously there's a great degree of discretion that must be had, but when it comes to serious civil rights violations I don't believe officers should be protected. Especially at the expense of innocent people.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I could break it down to you in so many ways
Go right ahead.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I believe that the police have had a poor public image since there have been police. I believe that the vast majority of police shootings and "brutality" is for the most part justified. I've seen no evidence that unjustified police violence is on the rise. The vast majority of the the public who have a poor public opinion of the police have such inherently and without cause. For every one case of unjustified and excessive force there are tens of thousands of proper policing events. Yes, the police would be safer if the public perception was correct but there are no words or actions that can make people see the actual reality. Unfortunatley being a cop will never be safe.

You honestly believe that all of these people, thousands, are making these stories up?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You honestly believe that all of these people, thousands, are making these stories up?
I'm on the side of "justifiable police action" regarding most of the stories and complaints about the police that I hear or read about. I love reading the "yeah, i know he just robbed a store and was packing a gun and took a swing at the officer but none of that matters. The only thing we need to focus on here is that the office pushed my sweet baby into the wall and put those handcuffs on too tight."

Again, the vast majority of anti-police have NO story. They have simply been raised that the police and gov't are bad.

Are there instances of excessive force that should lead to an officer being fired, charged and convicted of a crime? Yes, but they are few and far between.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:57 AM

419 posts, read 999,524 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or