U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:30 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,296,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
You forgot to add - doing your job exactly as you were trained to in the academy yet often being second guessed by people who have the luxury of time to consider all angles. Yet, you may have only had seconds or a nanosecond to react. How about trying to do your job when people spit at you, curse you for no reason, try to scratch or cut you, and smear their blood on you while saying they have hepatitis (or AIDS). You then have to get tested, abstain from relations with your spouse and wait for your test results to come back. Them their is the issue of drunks throwing up on you, drunk women propositioning you when you pull them for speeding or erratic driving, only to turn on you when you try to remain professional and ignore their advances. Lets not forget too, the people who threaten your job because you pulled them for speeding and determine they are inebriated. The ones with power in the community are especially prone to this behavior. The "Do you know who I am? Or "I can have your badge" spouters. Where are the cameras when cops are dealing with this nonsense? How about being called to a suicide scene, seeing the mess, and then having to tell the family their loved one has died.

My ex was a cop, he went in wanting to help people, to enforce the law, and to treat people fairly and with dignity. Sadly, the way he was treated was the opposite of this most times. We even had a couple of threatening calls to our home from folks he'd arrested. That was when I had to learn to use a firearm and regularly go to the range - and be prepared to use it. The thought of shooting someone sickened me but I knew I had to be prepared to do it.

I am amazed at how many people don't respect and actually hate cops. Yet, they certainly don't hesitate to call 911 when they need help.
Thank you Ma'am... it is people like you that make every bit of bad stuff worth every second

God bless you. God bless the peacekeepers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 09:36 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,680,028 times
If this country did not have police we would be in a sad situation. Those who think they don't have to do what the police say are the ones who create trouble, trouble for themselves and others. I'm so thankful for police. Their lives are endangered daily. Watch a few episodes of "COPS" and have a good idea what the police are up against.

Last edited by Rubi3; 03-02-2015 at 09:55 PM..

Old 03-02-2015, 09:42 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,494,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Another cop-hater thread. Nothing to see here.
Yeah, why can't people just shut up about it and be good Germans, and accept old ladies getting the crap beat out of them by thug cops.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:13 PM

3,224 posts, read 1,670,291 times
Grandma was wrong...and she knew it. She's old enough to know better.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:29 PM

6,160 posts, read 3,374,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
This is what happens when citizens (18 or 78) challenge cops.

Even if the information was incorrect about the restraining order, you don't challenge the police. At 78, she should know this.
The question is was she challenging the police or standing up for her lawful rights?

A secondary question is if the officer acted within the confines of the law or was unprofessional or illegal in his actions.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:30 PM

15,314 posts, read 7,191,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Watch a few episodes of "COPS" and have a good idea what the police are up against.
When they know they're on camera and know it will be televised. That's why they act like choirboys versus how they act when they don't know they're on camera....

Old 03-02-2015, 10:47 PM

726 posts, read 669,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I think you might want to rethink what you said...

Can you pass a multi-faceted background... drug test (on-going)... written and oral psych exam... polygraph and voice stress analyzer,, medical exam.. oral interview board.. run a pat test,, go to an academy ..pass it,, get through probation... have a supervisor review your every action and get videotaped or videotape yourself for them?

Police today are some of the most rigorously tested public servants there are ...

People like you worry me as a policeman because I know with your preconceived notions that my encounter with you may end badly..

Really sick...
You can blame all the unscrupulous cops for the public being apprehensive in the first place. It's not exactly unfounded.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 PM

21,006 posts, read 22,600,652 times
This is the biggest bunch of biased reporting I have ever read and gullible people are swallowing it like candy.

Quote:
The officer was either lying or was totally mistaken about the situation.

Mary obeyed the officer and left the school. She then pulled over to call her son and tell him what happened. While she was on the phone, she was again approached by the officer who became immediately confrontational. As with most police encounters, he refused to hear any explanation that she attempted to give him, but instead demanded immediate obedience.

When she tried to explain her situation, the officer became violent with her. Next he pepper-sprayed the woman in the face twice during the confrontation, as she was struggling to free herself from the attack. The officer must have seen her struggling for safety as a sign of resistance.

Read more at Cop Brutally Attacks 78-Year-Old Grandma For Delivering Cupcakes To Her Grandchildren | The Free Thought Project
So this writer makes comments about how he feels about cops and writes it up as fact? Sorry that's where he loses all credibility for me. "As with most officers." That's not a comment a reporter makes.

Regarding Mary leaving the school, How far away was she that the cop was still able to catch up with her? Did she even leave the school grounds in her car or was she just sitting in it while calling her son? Why didn't she just go elsewhere and call her son? That isn't clear. And what was this "immediate obedience" she didn't give the cop that caused him to pepper spray and hit her? That isn't explained. She put herself in the middle of a custody battle, walks into a school with the intention of getting into her grandchild's classroom. Maybe the cop thought it was just a bit suspicious.

If that school had been missing one child at the end of the day, it would have been on him. It's his job to check up on people who come around who don't belong there. I am not supporting him for hurting her but I don't know what provocation may or may not have occurred to lead up to it and we certainly won't get the truth from the author or this article.

We don't know how she acted when the cop came encountered her outside the school or why he felt the need to pepper spray her or "attack" her brutally or otherwise. How far away was she that the cop was still able to catch up with her? But we do know the kid is safe and home where she should be. I for one would be a bit wary of someone, even a granny trying to get into a school like she did. I don't know if I buy the "I just wanted to see my grandchild" thing. For all anyone knows she may have really laid it on thick when she told her story to the guy who wrote this article.

Schools have always had the rule that people can't just walk into a classroom while it's in session even when she was in school. Visitors are supposed to check in at the office. Schools have signs telling them to do so. Just walking into a class while it's going on is disruptive, rude and the teacher is not going to appreciate it. Nowadays of course it can also be dangerous.The authorities are there to protect the kids and that means from anyone who isn't supposed to be there. Being 78 is no excuse not to know that. I don't believer she didn't.

I think the cop was following her to make certain nothing was going to happen to the kid. Maybe he was trying to question her outside the school and that's when he didn't get his "immediate obedience." Whatever that's supposed to mean. If all she was doing was peddling cupcakes, what was the problem? From what I have read, the majority of kids who disappear are taken by a spouse in situations like this and it's possible granny might not have been as innocent as she appeared to be.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:19 PM

15,933 posts, read 9,856,767 times
I've got an idea for all the people who think the police are so terrible. Next time you need help, call a Grandmother instead and see how that goes !

What a thankless job our police have. Must be a b**ch to go to work every day and not know if you will be coming home to your family that night.

Personally, I thank everyone in LE for all they do to keep the rest of us safe.

Don

Old 03-02-2015, 11:57 PM

6,160 posts, read 3,374,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've got an idea for all the people who think the police are so terrible. Next time you need help, call a Grandmother instead and see how that goes !

What a thankless job our police have. Must be a b**ch to go to work every day and not know if you will be coming home to your family that night.

Personally, I thank everyone in LE for all they do to keep the rest of us safe.

Don
That's not the point. Certainly there are problem cops out there and they're more prevalent in some places than others. Do you really thank everyone in law enforcement? Even the lazy, corrupt, cruel, crooked and criminal? It would be refreshing to see some here acknowledge there are problems in law enforcement and to call for all the good cops to stop turning a blind eye and take steps that will make life better for the vast majority of cops out there as well as the public in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or