Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:04 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,204,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Awww, struck a nerve with the cop hater huh? It's no secret that there are indeed corrupt cops. But to see some of you tell it, you would think that all cops are bad. So what's wrong with posting news stories about some of the good guys?
Because it doesn't fit into the bigoted stereotype that some cling to of cops all being bad guys, that's what's wrong with it. Just like tales about good, upstanding, successful black men doesn't fit into the bigoted stereotype that some cling to of all blacks being lazy, shiftless criminals.

Same impulse in the person doing it, different target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 09:04 AM

299 posts, read 261,807 times
Quote:
With a lot of the focus on bad cops and just cop-hating threads in general, I thought it might be appropriate to start a thread that features stories of cops who are saving lives. Here are a couple of recent news stories of cops who have been saving lives, sometimes while risking their own.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2127028
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...181832916.html
Rookie Minnesota cop thinks quick, saves man's life at Moorhead gas station - TwinCities.com
Hero Cop Rescues Man From Gas Station Fire - ABC News
Brick cop dove into river to rescue suicidal woman
Great! Thanks for sharing these. A preacher many years ago used a saying regarding his appreciation for those who are faithful: "May their tribe increase!" So be it!

Old 03-03-2015, 09:31 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,913,335 times
Everyone knows that the few bad cops give all the good ones a bad name. But in the scheme of things, the few thousand "bad" cops are still far better than the millions of lowlife criminals wandering our streets. Think about that for a few.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:40 AM

16,231 posts, read 8,348,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
"cop-hating"... what nonsense.

Stop making excuses for criminals just because some criminals wear a uniform.

Yes, a great many police - the vast majority, in fact - do their jobs. That's no excuse for those who don't - or those who cover up their crimes - or those (like you) who run interference for the criminals. If 999,999 police do their jobs to perfection, it doesn't in any way alleviate the guilt of the 1 who abuses his position. And anyone who isn't a fool - or an apologist - knows that the number of bad apples is far more than 1 in a million.

Stop being part of the problem by enabling criminals and attacking those who call out criminals.
While I might tend to agree with much of what you say, rest assured there are people on this forum with anti-LEO agendas. For instance, one in particular loves to use hyperbole and inciteful rhetoric when pointing out police misconduct.
So where I'd be tempted to give my view on such misconduct, I generally shun those threads because I cannot support calling police terrorists or saying I understand why someone wants to put a bullet into police officers heads.

That said, the OP has just as much right to point out the good that LEO's do, as much as those who feel the opposite.
Their attempt to do so should not be met with you trying to discourage them and claiming their posted view "enables criminals".

Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,456,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I don't think it's "cop hate" so much as trying to get individuals with a Napoleon complex out of uniform,
As long as police uniforms are filled with humans, that will never happen.

X% of people are knuckleheads.

Since you'll never be able to prescreen them out, you have to work on changing policies.

The first policy I feel is important to change is not allowing no-knock warrants except in the case that a person's life hangs in the balance. I see no reason why there should ever be a no-knock warrant for a drug case (outside of them having a hostage of course).

Old 03-03-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No matter what you do, for some reason there are always going to be a certain percentage of people who have it in for the police. Not sure if it is because they got a ticket once, or in some other way had a negative interaction with them, or if they just hate authority in general.
This is an interesting question. The only people I remember being anti-cop when I was younger was dopers. They felt cops "hassled them" just because of their appearance, looking for dope. Of course most of them did dope, even if at the time of a pat down they didn't have any on them. Presumably if you remained a doper (i.e. regular law breaker) you are always on the look out for cops, and wont generally want to interact with them in a positive way.
I suspect this is true of anyone who knowingly breaks the law on a regular basis, whether it be a dope head, thief, speeder, or general scofflaw.

Now granted, I did not care for the attitude of some cops who acted like they were an unquestionable authority and spoke rudely to people. It always struck me as unnecessary and unprofessional. So I asked one of the LEO's in my family why some were like that. He essentially said cops deal with people constantly lying to them, trying to escape, fighting with them, etc., etc.. He said after a while you start getting fed up and it changes your general attitude into an "us against them" mentality.
He pointed out that in many cases cops face daily threat to their physical well being and are on guard even when others think their concern is unwarranted.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:05 AM

20,231 posts, read 14,457,345 times
I don't think that this thread and others need to be polarizing for or against police.

The bad stuff should be discussed.

The good stuff should be discussed.

This is a thread about the good stuff!

There is plenty of good stuff, and I salute the many good officers out there who are trying to keep people safe and do their part to make our communities good places to live.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As long as police uniforms are filled with humans, that will never happen.

X% of people are knuckleheads.

Since you'll never be able to prescreen them out, you have to work on changing policies.

The first policy I feel is important to change is not allowing no-knock warrants except in the case that a person's life hangs in the balance. I see no reason why there should ever be a no-knock warrant for a drug case (outside of them having a hostage of course).
While the potential for violence is escalated for the citizens in no knock warrants, it reduces it for the LEO's. Therefore I support it for very violent types that have a history of such behavior.
While I tend to agree with you regarding general drug cases, many drug dealers do carry weapons and fit the aforementioned category.
Furthermore, one of the reason LEO's use no knocks on drug raids is so that the evidence is not disposed of. Still this leads to problems when the wrong house is raided, and potentially innocent people can be harmed.
Personally I think LEO's, their supervisors, and even judges should be held more accountable for those type of mistakes. That would encourage LE and judges to make absolutely sure they are targeting the right people. If you get the right guys great. If you make a mistake with the potential consequences being grave, everyone involved (top to bottom) must be held to account.

`

Old 03-03-2015, 10:15 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,972,934 times
Quote:
With a lot of the focus on bad cops and just cop-hating threads in general, I thought it might be appropriate to start a thread that features stories of cops who are saving lives. Here are a couple of recent news stories of cops who have been saving lives, sometimes while risking their own.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2127028

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...181832916.html

Rookie Minnesota cop thinks quick, saves man's life at Moorhead gas station - TwinCities.com

Hero Cop Rescues Man From Gas Station Fire - ABC News

Brick cop dove into river to rescue suicidal woman
Meanwhile cops murder dozens of people.

Hawaii (South Kohala) On-duty officer in police car ran into bicyclist Surnow traveling same direction, killing him. Police arrested the officer, 30-year-old Jody Buddemeyer, on suspicion of negligent homicide. He was later "released pending further investigation.

California (Los Angeles) Homeless man who went by "Africa" ordered by police to come out of tent after fighting with someone inside tent. After he refused police order, they forcibly dragged him out of the tent. A physical altercation ensued with several police officers, during which one or more officers shot and killed Africa. At least two videos captured the incident.

Missouri (Wellston) When Allen attempted to drive away from a traffic stop, a Wellston police officer jumped partially into the car. The officer fired at Allen, who died of his injuries in hospital on March 1.

California (Santa Ana) Police identified a mand and a vehicle he was in as the suspect and vehicle involved in a robbery. Early reports lack detail, but "something happened" as police tried to contact him, and they shot and killed him.

California (San Francisco) Perez-Lopez was shot and killed by two plainclothes officer after he allegedly robbed a man of his bicycle at knifepoint in the Mission District.

Wisconsin (Green Bay) Police responded to a call about a possibly suicidal man. He stabbed an officer in the arm. The wounded officer and his partner fired, killing the man.

Nebraska (Omaha) Police responding to a reported robbery engaged Elrod. Accounts of the interaction vary, but officer Alvin Lugod shot and killed the apparently unarmed Elrod.

Texas (Grapevine) Villalpando, a Mexican immigrant, was shot and killed by Grapevine police officer Robert Clark. Clark engaged him in a high-speed chase after responding to a burglary alarm at a business. According to the Star-Telegram, "The driver, later identified as Garcia, got out of his pickup, put his hands up and walked toward Clark’s patrol car despite the officer’s calls to halt.... Two shots rang out, and Garcia slumped over. He was pronounced dead at 12:06 a.m. at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office"

Alabama (Homewood) Shot and killed after allegedly firing at officers serving a search warrant.

North Carolina (Charlotte) Janisha Fonville refused to drop a knife during a domestic incident, she was shot and killed.

Missouri (Springfield) Michael Steven Ireland was shot and killed after a foot chase. He appeared to be unarmed.

Massachusetts (Tewksbury) Man fatally shot after allegedly stabbing and slashing two people in the parking lot of school.

Texas (Del Rio) Saldivar was driving a commercial vehicle and police tried to make contact after reports of him driving recklessly. He refused to stop and several deputies opened fire, there is a video of the incident.

Arizona (Marana) Shot and killed after he was seen raising a handgun at officers.

Utah (Provo) Shot and killed after pointing an Airsoft rifle at police, during response to domestic violence call.

California (San Jose) Watkins was shot by two police officers after allegedly charging at them with a knife.

Washington (Pasco) Shooting of Antonio Zambrano-Montes. Zambrano was throwing rocks at cars and officers during the incident. As he was shot, Zambrano appeared to be unarmed and did not have a rock in his hands as he was fired on by three police officers. The shooting lead to mass protests in Pasco and a response from the Mexican government, condemning the shooting.

Texas (Nocona) Police responded to a disturbance at Hostetter's residence. During the call, the officer shot Hostetter, an off duty Montague County deputy, who was pronounced dead an hour later.

Texas (Waco) Jimmy Ray Robinson Jr was killed after a high speed chase on Interstate 35.

California (Calimesa) John Sawyer was killed when he picked up what turned out to be a replica handgun after ignoring police commands.

Texas (Wichita Falls) Wilber Castillo Gongora was tased by deputies on February 3rd and died on February 4th.

Arizona (Tempe) Salvador Muna was being tracked by the U.S. Marshals fugitive task force when he allegedly raised a gun at deputies, he and the driver of the vehicle he was passenger in were shot and killed.

Arizona (Tempe) Joaquin Hernandez was shot and killed, he had a fugitive being tracked by the U.S. Marshals fugitive task force in the vehicle who was killed as well.

Florida (Tallahassee) Jeremy Lett was shot and killed by Officer David Stith who was responding to a robbery call.

Tennessee (Memphis) Markell Atkins threatened U.S. Marshal and task force agents with a knife and was shot and killed, he was wanted in connection with an incident in which he is accused of killing a 1 year old child of his girlfriends he was babysitting in March of 2014.

California (Corona) Paul Alfred Eugene Johnson was being tracked after he robbed a bank and was unknowingly given a tracking device. At the end of the chase he was shot and died at the scene.

Georgia (Douglas) Purvis was shot by officer Joseph Brackett who was responding to a shooting.

Florida (Orlando) Izzy Colon was shot and killed after two undercover officers conducting a follow-up investigation saw him and another man openly firing guns

California (Antioch) Dewayne Ward Jr. was killed in a hail of bullets after he charged officers with a knife in his hand.

Pennsylvania (Hummelstown) A man was shot by an officer during a traffic stop, incident is still under investigation.

California (Apple Valley) A man who was allegedly shooting a gun near a home was killed, incident is still under investigation.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:39 AM

20,231 posts, read 14,457,345 times
KaaBoom, I read over your collection of incidents and many of them involved a person putting the lives of others in danger. I have raised my sons to know that you are justified in violence only in defense (NOT RETALIATION, mind you, DEFENSE) of yourself or someone else.

I have the same issue with your collection of anecdotes as I have with cases like Ferguson. We need to focus on the ones where officers were clearly not justified in use of force. There are plenty of those out there. The ones where a person has stabbed somebody, or is brandishing a firearm, or is engaging in a high speed chase (making their vehicle into a deadly weapon) do not make the point against police brutality.

These make more sense:

Albuquerque’s long history of police abuse, cover-up and scandal - The Washington Post

This is a troubled department, and everybody knows it. They need to fix a ton of issues from the top down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events