U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:52 AM

7,949 posts, read 3,740,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Many of those were people with knives, who could have been tasered, instead of being shot and killed.

I was not even going to comment on your absurd list earlier, because you claimed LEO's had "murdered" people, then proceeded to list many incidents where no such evidence was presented, or even a trial conducted yet.

However this little comment shows what a lack of knowledge you have when it comes deadly force. Rest assured knives have killed more people than guns ever have.
Even if you have only taken basic self defense classes, you know how easy it is for someone to use a knife to kill you in one motion. You also learn how quickly one can close the distance between you and the attacker, and kill you. I suspect from your armchair quarterback opinion, you have no clue about any of this stuff, but want to pontificate on how police should deal with deadly threats they face.

Here is a public safety announcement to you and anyone else reading this post. Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
More importantly, never draw a weapon, especially a deadly one like a knife on a policeman unless you are looking to be killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 10:52 AM

9,298 posts, read 5,797,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I don't think it's "cop hate" so much as trying to get individuals with a Napoleon complex out of uniform, OP. I appreciate cops for the most part, I just don't agree with some of the things they do.
Exactly. Some cops just have a really good sense or feel of knowing who is the threat and who isn't. That's not exactly a learned behavior. Even those that don't can still do their jobs effectively, if well trained. There are cops who are very well adjusted, great guys. On the other hand, you have the Napoleon ones, who are only there to exert their authority. It takes two seconds to sum them up, best to avoid them like the plague. It's certainly a mixed bag now days.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Allen was also a four times convicted non-compliant child molester on parole with a history of violence who was attempting to steal the car with a 5-year old child inside, while the officer was talking to the driver of the car outside the car. After backup arrived at the stop, Allen jumped into the driver's seat and drove off with the child. The officer jumped into the passenger seat and tried for four blocks to get Allen to stop before finally shooting him. Allen was driving 70 mph down 20 mph residential streets at the time.
After reading a few of his posts, it is evident they are either very immature or just a troll looking to bash LE.

I am all for educating people with open minds and even agreeing with them on clear cases of police misconduct. For example;

Police Paralyze 57 YO Indian Man After Throwing Him to the Ground

However reading this posters replies clearly is a waste of time.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:18 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,444,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
However this little comment shows what a lack of knowledge you have when it comes deadly force. Rest assured knives have killed more people than guns ever have.
Factually incorrect. If I have lack of knowledge, you just demonstrated that you have less.

If I have lack of knowledge, you just demonstrated that you have less.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Factually incorrect. If I have lack of knowledge, you just demonstrated that you have less.

If I have lack of knowledge, you just demonstrated that you have less.

My goodness, are you really this dense, or just being obtuse.

Though I was talking about the history of man where knives have been around a heck of a lot longer than guns, you could even take may comment into the 1980's and find that worldwide, more deaths occur from knives than firearms.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:26 AM

9,371 posts, read 17,504,272 times
I won't waste keyboard strokes addressing some of the agenda driven Al Sharpton constituents, but I will give an example of two recent cases, one in which I feel the cop was justified and one in which I feel the cop was not justified.

- Michael Brown - assaults and robs a store owner. Later assaults a cop who is questioning him. Punches cop in the face several times and tries to take his gun from him. Retreats and then charges the cop again. No hands up, no attempt to surrender. Cop has only seconds to make a judgment call after multiple warnings to stop. Brown is shot dead. In this case, and in my own OPINION, I feel the cop was justified.

- Eric Garner - Staten Island man who is illegally selling cigarettes on the street. Approached by police and told to surrender. During a protest and resist to arrest, Garner is placed in a choke hold and despite his pleas that he couldn't breath, cops do not let up, and he dies. In this case, it is my OPINION, that the cops used excessive force and there was a better way to handle this.

Obviously opinions vary over these accounts, and many of facts regarding these incidents are clouded by race baiting and low-lives like Sharpton and Co.

I myself have witnessed police brutality and I've been interrogated by corrupt detectives. That still doesn't give me cause to accuse police as a whole of being ruthless thugs in uniform who are out to kill minorities or innocent victims. You want to see real police corruption go to Mexico, South America, or Africa. No 911 to call when you are in trouble, and the police will be working in the best interest of whichever drug lord/cartel or dictator is in power. You'll quickly appreciate a cop in the U.S. after being shaken down or arrested by one in Mexico.

Remember the mayhem, looting, and chaos that took place during and after Katrina. That was with cops and military on the scene to try and keep order. Imagine a world without police. Every big city in every state would resemble post Katrina New Orleans. Well most anyway. Grand Forks ND was relatively civilized when that city went under ten feet of water, but cities like that are the exception in this country and not the rule. Of course most of the anti-cop crowd are also anti-gun, so they'd be the first to be totally screwed.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:52 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,597,633 times
Quote:
Then the that person should have been arrested. The cop should have blocked the car or used spike strips to stop it. The police are not judge, jury and executioners, even for child molesters. That is not justice.
Why should he have been arrested before he attempted to steal the car with the child in it?
And seriously, you think a police officer can stop a car with his body (or that they carry spike strips on their belts)? They may not be judge, jury, and executioner, but apparently you think they are Superman and Batman.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:53 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,444,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Remember the mayhem, looting, and chaos that took place during and after Katrina. That was with cops and military on the scene to try and keep order. Imagine a world without police. Every big city in every state would resemble post Katrina New Orleans. Well most anyway. Grand Forks ND was relatively civilized when that city went under ten feet of water, but cities like that are the exception in this country and not the rule. Of course most of the anti-cop crowd are also anti-gun, so they'd be the first to be totally screwed.
First you point out that the police in New Orleans were ineffective, but you don't understand why we wouldn't feel the need to have a lot of cops around? It makes me feel so damn safe to have a bunch of bully thug cops around who beat up old ladies, and fear for their lives every time they see their own shadow.

If we didn't have so many guns around, I would feel even less need for the police. If you are not a part of the gun culture, you don't need guns or cops.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:17 PM

13,022 posts, read 12,469,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I won't waste keyboard strokes addressing some of the agenda driven Al Sharpton constituents, but I will give an example of two recent cases, one in which I feel the cop was justified and one in which I feel the cop was not justified.

- Michael Brown - assaults and robs a store owner. Later assaults a cop who is questioning him. Punches cop in the face several times and tries to take his gun from him. Retreats and then charges the cop again. No hands up, no attempt to surrender. Cop has only seconds to make a judgment call after multiple warnings to stop. Brown is shot dead. In this case, and in my own OPINION, I feel the cop was justified.

- Eric Garner - Staten Island man who is illegally selling cigarettes on the street. Approached by police and told to surrender. During a protest and resist to arrest, Garner is placed in a choke hold and despite his pleas that he couldn't breath, cops do not let up, and he dies. In this case, it is my OPINION, that the cops used excessive force and there was a better way to handle this.

Obviously opinions vary over these accounts, and many of facts regarding these incidents are clouded by race baiting and low-lives like Sharpton and Co.

I myself have witnessed police brutality and I've been interrogated by corrupt detectives. That still doesn't give me cause to accuse police as a whole of being ruthless thugs in uniform who are out to kill minorities or innocent victims. You want to see real police corruption go to Mexico, South America, or Africa. No 911 to call when you are in trouble, and the police will be working in the best interest of whichever drug lord/cartel or dictator is in power. You'll quickly appreciate a cop in the U.S. after being shaken down or arrested by one in Mexico.

And the reasonable people on these boards are not saying that. KaaBoom is an outlier, as are others like him. But there is a real problem in law enforcement when the households of police officers are 2-4 times more likely to experience domestic violence than the general population. There is a real problem when my friend has her ex-boyfriend, a cop, continually "coincidentally" showing up wherever she goes because his buddies would let him know when they saw her car. There is a real problem when cops swarm a suburban neighborhood over a stolen stereo on a summer's day when the 5 pm work crowd is returning home, and endanger children and other drivers with their reckless maneuvers (without sirens) in their squad cars.

Just because the cops here are better than in South America, doesn't mean all is roses and sunshine. We also have much better roads than in South America - doesn't mean our own shouldn't get fixed just because no buses have plunged over a cliffside.

Yes, it's great cops are saving lives, but that doesn't mean constructive criticism of the profession should be verboten.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:19 PM

9,824 posts, read 6,296,841 times
ANY group of humans will have its good and bad.

We have many threads about police abuses and negative police behaviors. They are out there. And we are discussing them, as we should, in a number of threads.

Here is a thread for the good side of the story. It is valid, too.

I am appreciative of the officer that pulled me over late one very foggy night in Washington when my tail lights were not working, and I didn't know it. Even had he ticketed me, he may have saved my life. He chose not to, however, and helped me make sure my blinkers were functioning and sent me on home (it wasn't far to go, but I'd been driving 2 hours through pea soup fog with no tail lights. Dangerous!) I thanked that officer for alerting me to the danger that I didn't even realize I was in.

I am appreciative of the Sheriff who lives a couple of blocks away on my street. He is a good neighbor and makes me feel safer in my neighborhood, just by being there. I am appreciative of the traffic cops who keep people from speeding like maniacs along my residential streets, putting my kids in danger as they ride their bikes and such. Just having a cop sitting there lurking with a radar gun is enough to discourage speeding.

I have not heard of my local force doing abusive or corrupt things. I think we have some of the good ones, in my area, and I am thankful for that.

I do not agree with the "ACAB" philosophy, nor do I agree that all police are heroes and wonderful people...like with most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle and the most extreme opinions are usually wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or