U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:47 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,485,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
And the reasonable people on these boards are not saying that. KaaBoom is an outlier, as are others like him. But there is a real problem in law enforcement when the households of police officers are 2-4 times more likely to experience domestic violence than the general population. There is a real problem when my friend has her ex-boyfriend, a cop, continually "coincidentally" showing up wherever she goes because his buddies would let him know when they saw her car. There is a real problem when cops swarm a suburban neighborhood over a stolen stereo on a summer's day when the 5 pm work crowd is returning home, and endanger children and other drivers with their reckless maneuvers (without sirens) in their squad cars.

Just because the cops here are better than in South America, doesn't mean all is roses and sunshine. We also have much better roads than in South America - doesn't mean our own shouldn't get fixed just because no buses have plunged over a cliffside.

Yes, it's great cops are saving lives, but that doesn't mean constructive criticism of the profession should be verboten.
I'm not saying constructive criticism isn't welcome, but what most critics are posting isn't "constructive criticism", it's outright hatred and often times brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 07:53 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,485,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
ANY group of humans will have its good and bad.

We have many threads about police abuses and negative police behaviors. They are out there. And we are discussing them, as we should, in a number of threads.

Here is a thread for the good side of the story. It is valid, too.

I am appreciative of the officer that pulled me over late one very foggy night in Washington when my tail lights were not working, and I didn't know it. Even had he ticketed me, he may have saved my life. He chose not to, however, and helped me make sure my blinkers were functioning and sent me on home (it wasn't far to go, but I'd been driving 2 hours through pea soup fog with no tail lights. Dangerous!) I thanked that officer for alerting me to the danger that I didn't even realize I was in.

I am appreciative of the Sheriff who lives a couple of blocks away on my street. He is a good neighbor and makes me feel safer in my neighborhood, just by being there. I am appreciative of the traffic cops who keep people from speeding like maniacs along my residential streets, putting my kids in danger as they ride their bikes and such. Just having a cop sitting there lurking with a radar gun is enough to discourage speeding.

I have not heard of my local force doing abusive or corrupt things. I think we have some of the good ones, in my area, and I am thankful for that.

I do not agree with the "ACAB" philosophy, nor do I agree that all police are heroes and wonderful people...like with most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle and the most extreme opinions are usually wrong.
Nice to see a civil voice of reason chime in on the topic. While all cops certainly aren't saints and ambassadors of good will, they are not all monsters either. Overall, I think they do more good than bad. I've seen what happens in bad neighborhoods with very little police presence. When I rode the subways at 4:00am I would much rather see a cop get on the train than a thug with tattoos on his neck.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:59 PM

19,879 posts, read 36,379,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Sorry but the police in this country are not liked or respected by the vast majority of people, most of whom a are law abiding citizens. If the people who do this type of work don't like that, then they need to change their image and clean up their act.

Starting silly threads to gloss over the problem, is not going to change anyones opinion of LEO. Because for any good act you can find that a cop does, I can find you no less then a hundred bad ones.
Guess what, you are NOT "the vast majority of people" and your attitude is not shared by the vast majority of people, no matter how much you might think of yourself.

Frankly, I find your kind of attitude, whether it's directed at cops or at blacks or at women or at Republicans or at Democrats or at whatever group of people chosen as the target of the bigotry, to be far more dangerous than just about anything else. Fortunately, it's easily recognizable for what it is - it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, flies like a duck, guess what, it's a duck.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:51 PM

5,941 posts, read 2,492,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Many of those were people with knives, who could have been tasered, instead of being shot and killed.
Why should they have been? If you attack me with a sword, should I go look for one too, to be fair? Where have you been hiding? Its a war when violent criminals are involved, not a "Duel" by Queens rules. If one took fire from a farm house, One I know, never had a problem dumping a HE 120mm shell in the kitchen window, instead of smoker. How about you? . Tasers are not for rational criminals, in my opinion. Hollow points and Buckshot are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or