Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:21 PM

10,171 posts, read 20,721,601 times

Advertisements

With a lot of the focus on bad cops and just cop-hating threads in general, I thought it might be appropriate to start a thread that features stories of cops who are saving lives. Here are a couple of recent news stories of cops who have been saving lives, sometimes while risking their own.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2127028

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...181832916.html

Rookie Minnesota cop thinks quick, saves man's life at Moorhead gas station - TwinCities.com

Hero Cop Rescues Man From Gas Station Fire - ABC News

Brick cop dove into river to rescue suicidal woman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 09:41 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,747,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
With a lot of the focus on bad cops and just cop-hating threads in general, I thought it might be appropriate to start a thread that features stories of cops who are saving lives. Here are a couple of recent news stories of cops who have been saving lives, sometimes while risking their own.

Rookie Minnesota cop thinks quick, saves man's life at Moorhead gas station - TwinCities.com

"cop-hating"... what nonsense.

Stop making excuses for criminals just because some criminals wear a uniform.

Yes, a great many police - the vast majority, in fact - do their jobs. That's no excuse for those who don't - or those who cover up their crimes - or those (like you) who run interference for the criminals. If 999,999 police do their jobs to perfection, it doesn't in any way alleviate the guilt of the 1 who abuses his position. And anyone who isn't a fool - or an apologist - knows that the number of bad apples is far more than 1 in a million.

Stop being part of the problem by enabling criminals and attacking those who call out criminals.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:44 PM

10,171 posts, read 20,721,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
"cop-hating"... what nonsense.

Stop making excuses for criminals just because some criminals wear a uniform.

Yes, a great many police - the vast majority, in fact - do their jobs. That's no excuse for those who don't - or those who cover up their crimes - or those (like you) who run interference for the criminals. If 999,999 police do their jobs to perfection, it doesn't in any way alleviate the guilt of the 1 who abuses his position. And anyone who isn't a fool - or an apologist - knows that the number of bad apples is far more than 1 in a million.

Stop being part of the problem by enabling criminals and attacking those who call out criminals.
Awww, struck a nerve with the cop hater huh? It's no secret that there are indeed corrupt cops. But to see some of you tell it, you would think that all cops are bad. So what's wrong with posting news stories about some of the good guys?

Old 03-02-2015, 09:53 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,713,359 times
Yes, there's a few good "apples" in the "barrel". But the phony war on cannabis may have killed as many as 100 million worldwide, depending on how many it would have helped to quit tobacco, or reduce alcohol consumption, or to choose most effective medical treatments over those most profitable. The pill companies & others are causing more suffering & premature deaths. While police think most are liars, supposedly they don't think govt or corps lie. We are criticized worldwide for forcing countries around the world to adopt drug laws like ours or worse. LEOs, pols & Docs all need cannabis education.

But, yes, police don't have to save anyone, so those who do are heroes at that moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

Old 03-02-2015, 10:12 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,067,174 times
At 0200 hrs on a dark road with my backup 30 minutes away code three there is no phony war...just dope dealers trying to hurt me or escape

Thank you OP for displaying what is 99 percent of policework

Old 03-02-2015, 11:00 PM

1,431 posts, read 907,324 times
I don't think it's "cop hate" so much as trying to get individuals with a Napoleon complex out of uniform, OP. I appreciate cops for the most part, I just don't agree with some of the things they do.

Here in Hawaii for instance, it's not uncommon to see a car get pulled over and then 2 or more "backup" units behind the patrol vehicle that pulled the car over. Is this really necessary?

Old 03-03-2015, 12:31 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,728,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68
With a lot of the focus on bad cops and just cop-hating threads in general, I thought it might be appropriate to start a thread that features stories of cops who are saving lives.
There are some but NOT MANY huh??

Old 03-03-2015, 02:02 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,204,194 times
The hostility towards each other only makes each side more bitter. Some cops can brush off an attitude given to them during stops while others aren't so good at it. Cops have to deal with a lot of 'trash' in their line of work... some are better at it than others.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:44 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,392,683 times
Having to deal with the thug types makes it more difficult for regular people who come in contact with police. The criminals the police have to often be around hardens some into a different person after a few years. Sometimes it interferes with a policeman's private life. They see the lowdown dregs of society and it can have a detrimental affect on their own life.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything that can be said to change the mind of a cop hater. If someone is wielding a knife, the hater thinks police should try to take the knife away, although it's unreasonable to expect the police to risk serious injury from that knife. When a gun is involved, the police also risk their own death if they hesitate too long. Quick decisions are part of training and society wants the police to be the survivor if it comes to that.

No matter what, cops are human beings and there will always be some who are more likely to err than others. Life isn't fair and sometimes it carries over into police work.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:53 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,727,250 times
No matter what you do, for some reason there are always going to be a certain percentage of people who have it in for the police. Not sure if it is because they got a ticket once, or in some other way had a negative interaction with them, or if they just hate authority in general.

What these people do not get is that the people in LE are basically soldiers. Look at how the average street cop is dressed and outfitted and you will see what I mean........guns, cuffs, sprays, tasers, radios, body armor, etc. They are on the streets to fight a war, a war on crime, and in that job they run into people every day who would not hesitate for a second to kill that cop if they had the chance. Some would even do it for fun !

I think some of the ill feelings about police is that some people view them as abrupt and unfriendly. But they are not there to coddle us, they are there to do their job, and determine if we are breaking some law or not. I think if I were in a job where someone might kill me that day, I would act like they do too.

My Sons and I were working late at our shop one night with the garage door open and suddenly two police were at the door with hands on guns. They were asking questions that we knew were designed to find out if we were supposed to be there or were robbing the place. So we showed them our identifications, answered their questions, and they finally relaxed. Now, we could have gotten all huffy and said "We are on our own property, go away!" But we thanked them for keeping an eye on our shop and gave them a tour of the cars we build.

Personally, I would hate to see a world where we didn't have the police to keep us safe from thugs and criminals who are hellbent on taking our possessions or harming us. What a scary world that would be ! I appreciate the job these men and women do for us each and every day.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events