U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 02:39 AM

5,244 posts, read 3,404,534 times

Advertisements

Netanyahu basically got up there and said Iran is the great evil of the world, that they were going to be a terrorist state with nuclear weapons, etc... He then went on to lecture what our deal with Iran should look like and how Obama should handle them. In the end he suggested that this potential Iran deal may lead to a 21st century holocaust, that U.S. should take Israel's side which is "no deal" or "a deal with demands X,Y,and Z that we know Iran will refuse." He wants us to take his side, and turn our back on Russia, China, the UK, France and Germany who take the same basic approach as Obama when it comes to Iran.

If you disagree with Obama's foreign policy, fine. But what Netanyahu had to say was appropriate to say from his country or from the U.N., not from the floor of our own legislature.

What Netanyahu had to say was not anything very surprising, but making a foreign leader a spokesperson on U.S. politics, an advocate of a particular diplomatic approach, not to mention letting that foreign leader posture for his own domestic politics on our stage, was bad form. I wouldn't really care what the issue is or who the president is, bad form.

In the end, Netanyahu's goals are the same as ours and the same as the world community: Iran should not have nuclear weapons, but he thinks there is only his way of doing it and comes to lecture us about it. What country would put up with that? The U.S. apparently.

Last edited by redguard57; 03-04-2015 at 03:03 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 09:46 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,506,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
What a condescending, grandstanding asshat. He thinks America is stupid but still wants us to be his personal army. He wants wars but he wants Americans' lives on the line, not Israeli lives. We can't keep letting a chickenhawk dictate American policy. If Israel wants a preemptive war they need to fight it themselves.
Ahhh grasshopper, listen and you will learn. Netanyahu doesn't want the U.S. to fight this for Israel. What he wants is the U.S. to stay out of Israel's way if they decide it's needed to whomp on Iran to save themselves. I thought he was very clear on that yesterday and has been in the past.

What he/they would like is for Obama to drop the pretense that Iran can be trusted to adhere to any deal they make and to wake up to the fact that he is NOT going to make his legacy off of negotiating a bad deal with a bunch of lying terrorists.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:54 AM

186 posts, read 123,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
What a condescending, grandstanding asshat. He thinks America is stupid but still wants us to be his personal army. He wants wars but he wants Americans' lives on the line, not Israeli lives. We can't keep letting a chickenhawk dictate American policy. If Israel wants a preemptive war they need to fight it themselves.

Couldn't agree LESS with you. He is an outstanding man, and a great speaker who I wish WE had as President. Puts the one we have to shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-04-2015, 12:19 PM

7,192 posts, read 7,529,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TateFan333 View Post

Couldn't agree LESS with you. He is an outstanding man, and a great speaker who I wish WE had as President. Puts the one we have to shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Really
Look!
This disrespecting the Presidents Started With Bush and now has manifested with Obama.
Love Them or Hate them, they are our elected Leaders and should be treated with some type of Respect AT ALL TIMES
I may not Like my Mom and Dad, but i be Damned if, i let someone come in my house and disrespect them for any reason.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:12 PM

11,970 posts, read 10,778,224 times
I am not old enough to remember when the British Secretary Chamberlain caved when seeking a deal with Hitler. However, I am old enough to remember what happened next. I am afraid that our administration does not get it.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:12 PM

9,162 posts, read 6,349,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yet he got numerous standing ovations from the entire congress. The only ones who didn't seem to like it was the lame duck Obama who will be gone in 2 years, the Congressional Black Caucus who boycotted, and lackeys of the Democratic party. Seems like Netanyahu is in very good standing where it counts.

Obama has completely lost to set agendas for the USA.
IMO there are good reasons to fear the damages from his continuing determination to "fundamentally change" the US as we know it in his remaining time in office. Protected and supported, of course, by his adoring, fawning fans and left-wing supporters, including the main stream news media. I'm just sorry the GOP Congressmen, elected by the majority of the American voting public in an apparently futile attempt to stop this guy and his agendas, seem unwilling/unable to carry out the mandates for which they were elected.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Israel is like that punk kid on the playground that is always messing with other little kids.

But when s*** hits the fan they always run to their older family members to protect them

Seems to me the reason for Netanyahu's visit was precisely because of the secret deal in process between the Obama administration and Iran over their developing and acquiring nuclear weapons. I don't believe there would have been a reason for his visit had this deal, reportedly with concessions to Iran which allowed them unfettered access to these weapons if not in the immediate future, then within 10 years or so. A deal which the Obama seems determined to carry out, and the rest of the MIddle East, the USA and the rest of the world be damned.

And I guess you must have missed, or willfully ignored in your adolescent zeal to "one-up" your friends' nasty comments about Netanyahu and Israel, the comment in his speech that if need be, Israel will defend itself without help from anyone. Against the enemy (Iran), who has repeated many times that "Israel must be destroyed", and "we will wipe Israel off the face of the earth". And while we're mentioning such things, "Death to America".

Old 03-04-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
Someone tell me why we are playing favorites with this guy and his country? So much for trying to speak up. Suddenly people want to label me anti-semitic if I don't support Israel. I remember a few years back Netaunyahu came and spoke before Congress and said we don't need you(America) to take care of us, we can take care of ourselves. Good idea, lets get the hell out of there and stop giving them money and guns.
I don't recall Netanyahu asking for anything such as guns or money from the US in the presentation he gave to Congress yesterday. What he did ask for was to reconsider the concessions imminent in the deal the Obama is brokering with Iran that will leave them with a path wide open to possession of nuclear arms. And this considering nukes in the hands of a common enemy who has sworn the destruction of both Israel and the US. You may hate Israel's guts for your own reasons, but at least consider the prospect in terms of its threat to the US and the rest of the world.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:54 PM

8,319 posts, read 8,596,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't recall Netanyahu asking for anything such as guns or money from the US in the presentation he gave to Congress yesterday. What he did ask for was to reconsider the concessions imminent in the deal the Obama is brokering with Iran that will leave them with a path wide open to possession of nuclear arms. And this considering nukes in the hands of a common enemy who has sworn the destruction of both Israel and the US. You may hate Israel's guts for your own reasons, but at least consider the prospect in terms of its threat to the US and the rest of the world.
Netanyahu doesn't have to ask for guns or aid from this country because by terms of the Camp David Accords signed in 1979, Israel gets about $4 billion a year from the U.S. in military and other assistance.

Ironically, I run into right wing ideologues all the time who favor cuts in programs like medicaid and food stamps, but wouldn't dream of asking Israel to renegotiate the Camp David Accords and take a lesser cut from the US every year. Who's side are they are on exactly? Israel is a prosperous country with a large hi tech industry. It could easily afford to lose this $4 billion and pay for all its own defense needs. Of course, it would never voluntarily give up $4 billion. I can't really say I blame Israel. I blame a succession of American Presidents who have never asked that the terms of this treaty be renegotiated.

Assistance to Israel was acknowledged by Netanyahu in his controversial speech. We gave Israel the Iron Dome Missile System which largely protects them from rockets and missiles fired at heir country from the Gaza Strip. I'm actually happy to do that because it saves the lives of innocent people. The point is that one hell of a lot has been done for Israel under the Obama Administration.

Obama has asked one simple thing and predictably the right wing can't even give him that. He's asked that he be allowed to finish negotiations and obtain the best terms from Iran before everyone ignorantly condemns what he is doing. Yes, that is asking a lot out of the GOP these days. This is the group that would shut down DHS to prove a political point. This is the group that wanted to default on the nation's debts by refusing to raise the debt ceiling about a year ago. Some people are truly shameless. I think back to January 2009. Obama was getting blamed for the recession we were by some people after thirty days or less in office.

The reality is that even an attack on Iran with bombs and missiles may not end their nuclear program. Much of its is underground. What many seem to forget is that no President can snap his fingers and solve this problem. All we have are imperfect alternatives. Those would be an agreement that doesn't stop uranium enrichment completely in Iran or a war that doesn't eliminate all their nuclear capability. All I am saying is that the former may be better than the latter. Arm chair generals should withhold judgment until we know more.

Those who reject negotiation should understand the alternative is war.

Last edited by markg91359; 03-04-2015 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Neutral on Obama in that I felt none of the contenders was worth voting for. Neutral as in Meh, we are stuck with non starters, let's hope we have no major foreign issues during his term. This was my biggest fear. it was clear IMO he was being elected based on his color either by guilt, gullibility, likeability, or pride from the AA community who until him, had not had the opportunity to have someone of their race represent them as POTUS. While I thought he was likable, this is not a reason to elect someone. I knew he had no experience and because of this he rather scared me. That's what I meant but didn't want to elaborate and get off point/topic.

Nobody has a hold on my mind. I am very familiar with the Middle East and their psyche - especially Iranians, having some family members from there (Tehran) The place is now a rat hole. it was once, pre-revolution, very Americanized, wealthy, and sophisticated in the major cities - similar to Iraq. The small towns and villages were and still are, full of poor, illiterate workers. My family members had amazing homes, servants, maids for the kids, drove new Mercedes, wore Rolexes, paid thousands for art work on their indoor pool wall. Had a chain of business across the country, and then lost it all when America turned its back on the Shah. What I found very strange that with all their wealth and Westernization, and with their kids educated at European and American universities, they were very Americanized yet still, they hated anything Jewish and the nation of Israel. The hatred would boil out of them. It was like watching Jekyl and Hyde. Iran has been manipulating its neighbors, oppressing its people. They fear that if they don't get more resources, raise the standard of living, they will have another revolution only this time they'll kick out the Mullahs and the moderates who want to take over will in fact have been manipulated by ISIS. They need as many friends as possible right now. Trust me, they have hated our guts for more than 30 yrs, the factions in charge now that is. They wouldn't waste their time talking with us unless it would ONLY benefit them. They don't care about any country, any person other than themselves and or preserving their status quo.
Thank you so much for this post. A number of things to think about, expressed so well and thoughtfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or