U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:24 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think perhaps there is more to the story. I doubt they just magically showed up to start with.It is a fairly serious crimes to provide alcohol to minors at your house or elsewhere. There is no not go to jail zone on that.
Must be. After all, it's inconceivable that LEOs would abuse a law-abiding citizen. I mean, c'mon! Crazy-talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Wait, why do you hope that? Because if he wins, then we all lose. Because WE pay. And you just pointed out that THEY are the problem. The people who are the problem need to pay...not us. We had nothing to do with it.

But its all good...because in the revolution the payback is going to come out of their hides.
We lose when law enforcement abuses its authority.

We are collectively responsible for the abuses of agents of the state.

We all win when the authority that abuses its power is given incentive to stop such egregious behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 06:42 AM

7,694 posts, read 10,065,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
If parking were the issue (did the police ever really say?) a good Officer would have simply asked the homeowner to have his guests move their cars to a more appropriate area. How they got to tasing him is just mind-blowing.

My father in law was a police officer, eventually rising to a pretty high rank on Long Island before retiring. He has said many times that in his opinion, being a good cop is as much about what you don't do than what you do. Essentially, good judgment and being chill with people can almost always work better than being gung ho and rolling in. Show your authority not by imposing it, but by using your brain.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:01 AM

15,908 posts, read 9,643,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
My father in law was a police officer, eventually rising to a pretty high rank on Long Island before retiring. He has said many times that in his opinion, being a good cop is as much about what you don't do than what you do. Essentially, good judgment and being chill with people can almost always work better than being gung ho and rolling in. Show your authority not by imposing it, but by using your brain.

I'm waiting for the "cops can do no wrong" crowd to show up and blindly defend this cop with their usual "well if you haven't done anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about" rhetoric! I am not a cop hater, but I do despise cops that abuse their authority, and use Gestapo like tactics such as this! We're hearing more and more stories about this type of stuff happening! I have an ex-marine buddy who has had minor run-ins with the cops, and he says they hate it when you know the law, and your rights better than they do.

On a side note another poster on this thread alluded to the fact that the cops used the excuse to ask to enter see if there was underage drinking going on an possibly as an excuse to find marijuana which would be a jack pot! Now, given the huge push towards and the growing support for legalization, do you think that maybe the cops are trying to get their last hoorah in hoping to find an easy payday before the whole house of cards that is prohibition comes crashing down? It seems like lately here in my state we're hearing more busts for cannabis when things like meth and heroin are becoming a much bigger issue. I mean, yes there are many cops that support legalizing cannabis, but there are also quite a few that oppose it, because shaking down those who consume, possess, grow or distribute it is an easy pay day for them, and fear that legalization will hurt their wallets.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:51 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,135,943 times
I pity the people of the USA. I don't want to read another post extolling the "Freedom" enjoyed by the citizens of the country.
What freedoms you do have left are increasingly under attack by out of control agents of the State at all levels. Federal, State and Local governments act as if the bill of rights does not exist. Why are the people so complacent about this? It should be the premier issue of the day. Millions should be demonstrating and organizing to bring pressure to bear against this attack on freedom.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:53 AM

1,942 posts, read 3,786,343 times
The right to privacy in his own home was violated. I would not comply if I was the home owner. There needs to be a warrant first. No matter what the police saw when he opened the door.

Quote:
Electrical engineer tased at his housewarming party sues Madison County deputies | AL.com

This guy was tased because police came to his house (still don't know why) and he wouldn't let them in when they asked if they could enter. Then they said they wanted to make sure no underage drinkers were inside because they saw alcohol for the brief few seconds he opened the door to step out. What?

Old 03-04-2015, 08:06 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,135,943 times
Do you know why this kind of crap very rarely happens here in Canada? When it does happen the police department involved ends up paying millions of dollars defending it's self in court and paying the damages awarded if found guilty.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:09 AM

30,408 posts, read 9,086,867 times
Why were the police there? I'd like to know.

I'd also like to know why they thought they could enter someone's residence without a reason.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:42 AM

13,266 posts, read 9,991,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I pity the people of the USA. I don't want to read another post extolling the "Freedom" enjoyed by the citizens of the country.
What freedoms you do have left are increasingly under attack by out of control agents of the State at all levels. Federal, State and Local governments act as if the bill of rights does not exist. Why are the people so complacent about this? It should be the premier issue of the day. Millions should be demonstrating and organizing to bring pressure to bear against this attack on freedom.
It's one hell of a battle trust me. And some of us are.

Stand up, they'll hit your wallet, slander you, blackball you, etc.

What some people don't know is there is a full fledged Revolution taking place. Mostly led by the younger generation. There are more Independents in 44 states than Republicans or Democrats. The time for change is now.

Enough is enough.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:16 AM

13,349 posts, read 16,514,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Why were the police there? I'd like to know.

I'd also like to know why they thought they could enter someone's residence without a reason.

I read somewhere that the neighbor called in the cops because cars were blocking their driveways or excessive noise ... but that's also in dispute. I thought I also read that the cop agreed that he did not tell the victim why/what the police was there to investigate.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:27 AM

6,965 posts, read 5,187,171 times
Quote:
Electrical engineer tased at his housewarming party sues Madison County deputies | AL.com

This guy was tased because police came to his house (still don't know why) and he wouldn't let them in when they asked if they could enter. Then they said they wanted to make sure no underage drinkers were inside because they saw alcohol for the brief few seconds he opened the door to step out. What?
Context, Context, Context...

This happens every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday around most college campuses. I know it did when I was in college. Still, I think it was out of line then and I think it is out of line now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or