U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 06:36 AM

13,266 posts, read 9,997,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The report is chock full of 'disparate impact' statistics and anecdotes.

For example, concluding that racism is the reason that blacks account for a higher % of vehicle stops than their % of the population is as goofy as concluding racism is why whites or Asians are under-represented in the NBA or sexism is why males are over-represented in the prison population or trash collecting jobs.

Disparate impact does not = racial bias.
See. Even the statement you made right there is ignorant.

Blacks were less likely to have contraband. So why are they being searched more? Whites and blacks use drugs at the same rates.

I could go on.

And regardless, none of that excuses racism. That's like protesters saying, well, there's so many bad cops out there, doesn't matter what we do to this 1 random 1

Think people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 07:38 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,835,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
If you actually read the Justice Dept. report -- or any of the dozens of news summaries about it -- you'd be hoping the police were shot and not the looters. Try it. Actually read something about Ferguson so you can no longer remain willfully ignorant. Or is reading 105 pages too much for you?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.document...erguson-mo.pdf
It's hard to take any report from Holder's DOJ seriously when it involves race. If you think he didn't put specific people in place to find the result he wanted, you're naive. Holder is a racist liar, and he came into the position with the sole purpose of investigating racism. That's what he did before he was AG, and that's why Obama selected him. Holder won't disappoint himself with facts or objectiveness.
In the future, we need AG's who have actually been in law enforcement. Sheriff David Clarke from Milwaukee County is a good start.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
It's hard to take any report from Holder's DOJ seriously when it involves race. If you think he didn't put specific people in place to find the result he wanted, you're naive. Holder is a racist liar, and he came into the position with the sole purpose of investigating racism. That's what he did before he was AG, and that's why Obama selected him. Holder won't disappoint himself with facts or objectiveness.
In the future, we need AG's who have actually been in law enforcement. Sheriff David Clarke from Milwaukee County is a good start.
He's so racist he indicted Darren Wilson which started this whole thing.

They had freaking racist e-mails talking about Obama's wife.

I'm speechless.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:17 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,139,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
If you actually read the Justice Dept. report -- or any of the dozens of news summaries about it -- you'd be hoping the police were shot and not the looters. Try it. Actually read something about Ferguson so you can no longer remain willfully ignorant. Or is reading 105 pages too much for you?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.document...erguson-mo.pdf
Did you read this report?

It's laughable. (Although I did stop at page 33 due to the same crap over and over)

First, you have all of these anecdotal stories of "abuse" without any explanation of the officers side. Did the officers in these stories acknowledge the stories were true? If so, why didn't the report state that? If not, what was the other side?

Second, the report talks about how FPD is revenue driven. Really? Let's see a report about how the federal government or just about every other level of government does when we start talking about revenue. What a joke. I love the story about the woman who didn't pay her tickets or show up for court causes her to get more violations for failure to appear and more fines. Let's see here, if I didn't pay my taxes and didn't show up for court appearances, what would happen to me? Would the federal government not issue warrants for failure to appear? Would the IRS not penalize me further monetarily? Of course they would. Does that mean they are racist against me? LOL.

Third, the report makes a big deal out of the statistics of black arrests and stops. They show that Ferguson has a black population of 67%, and that auto stops of black is 85%, citations 90% and arrests 93%. That does sound bad. Let's focus on the worst, the 93% of arrests are black people and the populations 67% black. That means there is a bias of 38%. Now, let's compare this local bias that the DOJ says is racially motivated to the DOJ's racial bias. Black people make up 12.6% of the US population ( Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). The percentage of people in federal prison that are black, put their by the DOJ, is 37.5% ( BOP Statistics: Inmate Race ). So, what would be the bias there? 195%. Yes, that's right the racial bias of the DOJ is five times greater that Ferguson.

------------

Let's summarize. The report is filled with one-sided anecdotal accounts. The report says that Ferguson, like pretty much every government, focuses on revenue. And, Ferguson's racial bias is five times lower than the DOJ.

Thank you for posting the link to that report. It shows that the DOJ is only covering it's tailside, but it is most likely politically motivated.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
He's so racist he indicted Darren Wilson which started this whole thing.

They had freaking racist e-mails talking about Obama's wife.

I'm speechless.
Were there any emails discussing the targeting of blacks?

Old 03-06-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Were there any emails discussing the targeting of blacks?
Are you seriously asking me that question?

Are you saying that racist don't act on their racist thoughts? Or that their racism won't affect their job performance?

To answer your question, no. That would be even more stupid than sending racist e-mails. To be fair, would you answer my 2 questions.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Are you seriously asking me that question?

Are you saying that racist don't act on their racist thoughts? Or that their racism won't affect their job performance?

To answer your question, no. That would be even more stupid than sending racist e-mails. To be fair, would you answer my 2 questions.
Ok, since there were no emails that indicated any racial profiling or targeting, let's concentrate on the racist emails.

First, how many racist emails were there and what exactly did they say?

Second, what was the total number of emails examined and from how many people?

I'll be curious to know what percentage of emails contained racist materials and what form they took.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:45 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,281,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The report is chock full of 'disparate impact' statistics and anecdotes.

For example, concluding that racism is the reason that blacks account for a higher % of vehicle stops than their % of the population is as goofy as concluding racism is why whites or Asians are under-represented in the NBA or sexism is why males are over-represented in the prison population or trash collecting jobs.

Disparate impact does not = racial bias.
I agree with your analysis, and a case currently before the Supreme Court may ultimately lead to disparate impact analysis being invalidated in favor or a requirement that the government prove intentional discrimination/bias. Apart from the fact that I believe disparate impact as a basis for finding discrimination is unconstitutional (at least as applied to legislation passed by Congress) and represents an overly-broad and impermissible reading of the 14th Amendment, my problem with this and other cases has been the very selective nature in which the DOJ applies the analysis. Disparate impact could be used to put every police force in America under federal oversight, but I question whether politics plays a big role in deciding which police forces to actually target. And the "supporting" evidence (i.e. the racial/racist email conversations from some in Ferguson city government) doesn't show intentional discrimination on the part of the police department in making contact with citizens either. While outrageous and worthy of steps being taken to end certain people's careers in my view, showing that some random city employees wrote racist emails does nothing to implicate the dozens of men and women on the Ferguson police department.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Ok, since there were no emails that indicated any racial profiling or targeting, let's concentrate on the racist emails.

First, how many racist emails were there and what exactly did they say?

I've seen 7.

Do a quick google search. There's multiple sources reporting on the e-mails. They were racist.

Second, what was the total number of emails examined and from how many people?

I would imagine a great number of e-mails. Do you send racist e-mails? At work?

I'll be curious to know what percentage of emails contained racist materials and what form they took.

The top court clerk was just fired for sending those racist e-mails. The top clerk.

Did you miss the poster who's from the area, who's white I believe, who told you that the PD is racist and needs to clean up its act? Did you also miss the countless instances of abuses on the local citizens?

I really don't know what your fighting for here.

Are you fighting for evil?

Old 03-06-2015, 08:59 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,281,426 times
Quote:
The top court clerk was just fired for sending those racist e-mails. The top clerk.

Did you miss the poster who's from the area, who's white I believe, who told you that the PD is racist and needs to clean up its act? Did you also miss the countless instances of abuses on the local citizens?

I really don't know what your fighting for here.

Are you fighting for evil?
While the court clerk's emails were disgraceful (and the clerk deserved to be fired for them), those emails do nothing to prove racial targeting by the police department. That's the problem with the emails that were put forward by DOJ (they are not really legally relevant to claims that the Ferguson police department engaged in racially discriminatory practices, which makes you question why they are being released by the DOJ in this investigation . . . not that I'm complaining that a racist was ultimately exposed.).

As for individual remarks about the police, I say so what? Plenty of people in NYC will tell you that the NYPD is full of racists who routinely discriminate against minorities. But, as a minority who lives in NYC and who interacts with the NYPD, I hold the opposite view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or