U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:16 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,844,129 times

Advertisements

Saw this on the news this morning. News program said federal oversight is probably in the works for Ferguson. Claims department is racially bias. Here is an online article....

Justice Department finds racial bias in Ferguson police practices | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 05:42 AM

3,723 posts, read 1,669,188 times
Once the Justice Dept. has you in the crosshairs, you're done. There are so many civil rights laws, definitions of discrimination, that it almost impossible not to prove a city is violating one.

The only stat in the piece, blacks being 67% of the population and 91% of the arrests, doesn't support the charges. It's well in line with the black crime reality. The rest, assertions and accusations, throwing as much mud as possible in the hope that some will stick.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:56 AM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 12 days ago)

13,387 posts, read 11,879,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
The only stat in the piece, blacks being 67% of the population and 91% of the arrests, doesn't support the charges. It's well in line with the black crime reality. The rest, assertions and accusations, throwing as much mud as possible in the hope that some will stick.
Exactly. I bet that the proportion of men to women arrested is greater than the proportion of men to women in the general population. So I guess that means the police department is sexist. And I bet there is a high percentage of arrests among young people, so the department must be engaging in age discrimination. Etc.

This is more of an indictment on the stupidity of the Justice Department than it is of the racism of the Furguson Police Department.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:39 PM

7,542 posts, read 8,081,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Saw this on the news this morning. News program said federal oversight is probably in the works for Ferguson. Claims department is racially bias. Here is an online article....

Justice Department finds racial bias in Ferguson police practices | Reuters
They are talking out of both sides of their mouth.

They say this with one breath, and in the next, they decide to exonerate Officer Wilson of the Ferguson PD of all civil rights offenses.

Why can't they just have a consistent message?

Old 03-04-2015, 03:55 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
So they cleared the officer and have done nothing about the looters and arsonist. Typical of this race consumed administration.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:04 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,719,746 times
"Racism doesn't exist anymore, Obama was elected"

Old 03-04-2015, 05:09 PM

2,581 posts, read 1,382,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
They are talking out of both sides of their mouth.

They say this with one breath, and in the next, they decide to exonerate Officer Wilson of the Ferguson PD of all civil rights offenses.

Because the evidence is insufficient to prosecute the officer so he probably would be found not guilty, which would be an embarrassment to the administration and probably cause more riots; and at the same time the administration has to throw the protesters a bone. A finding of civil liability on the part of the whole PD is easier to justify and defuses the situation.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:10 PM

38,141 posts, read 15,305,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

Because they are race pandering.

They know they can't win in court so they cleared the officer. But to save face, Eric Holder can dropped a big stink bomb then walk away. And like any stink bomb, once the smoke clears and the smell is gone, everything else is just like it was before. i.e. Holder isn't going to do anything.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:12 PM

148 posts, read 103,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Exactly. I bet that the proportion of men to women arrested is greater than the proportion of men to women in the general population. So I guess that means the police department is sexist. And I bet there is a high percentage of arrests among young people, so the department must be engaging in age discrimination. Etc.
You shouldn't be so quick to dismiss these findings just because you disagree with it. This would coincide with the message that the citizens of Ferguson was trying to express (however poorly) and would explain why they so readily believed brown in the first place. Remember, there was a man who was charged with getting blood on a officer uniform

Cop Who Charged A Man For Bleeding On Her Uniform Is Now A City Councilwoman

And before this information was brought forth by the justice department, the police department had a shady history in the past

Before Mike Brown Shooting, Ferguson Police Department Had History Of Misconduct Allegations

Quote:
This is more of an indictment on the stupidity of the Justice Department than it is of the racism of the Furguson Police Department.
To be humorous, women are notorious for getting off lighter on offenses that man would get more heavily charged for. I say the justice department is on point with this one.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:25 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,150,540 times
I guess Eric Holder invented this situation too.

Ferguson employee fired, 2 others on leave over emails

Ferguson employee fired, 2 others on leave over emails

FERGUSON, Mo. (AP) — Ferguson Mayor James Knowles says one police department employee was fired and two others are on administrative leave over racist emails uncovered in a Justice Department investigation into the city's law enforcement practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or