Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:33 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Umm, don't know about this one.

Woman caught on camera slapping son's alleged bully | abc7.com

Quote:
WESTWOOD, OH -- A woman is facing charges for storming onto a school bus and slapping a 5-year-old child who she said bullied her own son.

An on-board recording system captured the incident, which police said happened on January 28. N'Doumbe Gueye, 30, was arrested on assault charges nearly a month later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 08:35 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Assault is assault, she shouldn't have acted on emotions, instead she should have either gone to the school and/or parents house of the child that bullied. Seeing as it was on camera, even if the family of the boy refuse to press charges the DA will.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:40 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
I can understand the woman's feelings. That said she had no business slapping another 5 y.o. child. If the bullying was on the school bus could she not have demanded copies of the tapes and gone to the Principal? Even the police??

Old 03-01-2015, 08:42 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,847 times
Not smart. Children have a way of settling their own scores, but for an adult to assault a child over something between kids is wrong on so many levels, unless maybe if you are that bully-childs parent.

Although I can understand the problems bullies can cause for other children, and can empathize with her frustration, I would also bet she herself would have been outraged that another parent would have been brazen enough to touch her child, had the shoes been on the other feet.

I'd plead temporary insanity, and throw myself on the mercy of the court if any significant charges arise from the incident. Chances are the bully had it coming, but the law doesnt allow adults to violently confront children either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Assault is assault, she shouldn't have acted on emotions, instead she should have either gone to the school and/or parents house of the child that bullied. Seeing as it was on camera, even if the family of the boy refuse to press charges the DA will.
I guess that means Ohio is a Commonwealth state, where even if the victim refuses to press charges the state can - and this state will.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:16 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,235 times
If the kid had been 12, I'd have applauded the mom. God knows that age is horrible for bullying and kids that bully at that age will likely grow up and do worse things if someone doesn't nip it I'm the bud.

5 year olds aren't real bullies, they're just little kids being stupid at an age they don't know any better yet(in some cases).

Mom was out of line on this.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:49 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
If the kid had been 12, I'd have applauded the mom. God knows that age is horrible for bullying and kids that bully at that age will likely grow up and do worse things if someone doesn't nip it I'm the bud.

5 year olds aren't real bullies, they're just little kids being stupid at an age they don't know any better yet(in some cases).

Mom was out of line on this.
Yes, because nothing is going to help an already socially ostracized 12 year old boy fit in better than having his mom walk onto the bus and defend him by slapping someone in front of the whole bus....sometimes you have to put your own emotions to the side, think about what's best for your own child (I bet even the 5 year old is mortified by his mom's actions). This is not the way adults resolve matters in any case. Maybe bullying is getting worse because they see the poor example many of the adults around them are setting.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, because nothing is going to help an already socially ostracized 12 year old boy fit in better than having his mom walk onto the bus and defend him by slapping someone in front of the whole bus....sometimes you have to put your own emotions to the side, think about what's best for your own child (I bet even the 5 year old is mortified by his mom's actions). This is not the way adults resolve matters in any case. Maybe bullying is getting worse because they see the poor example many of the adults around them are setting.
Well I'd at least have applauded the mom's desire to protect her own son from being bullied; especially if said bully's parents weren't doing anything to corral their own son's bullying behaviors.

Again, I refer to kids in an older age bracket. 5 is too young and the mom who slapped the 5 yo bully was way out of line. She'd have been better off contacting the child's parents if the problem was ongoing.

FTR...I was bullied, but nobody stood up for me. I'd have been pretty happy if they had.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:01 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Well I'd at least have applauded the mom's desire to protect her own son from being bullied; especially if said bully's parents weren't doing anything to corral their own son's bullying behaviors.

Again, I refer to kids in an older age bracket. 5 is too young and the mom who slapped the 5 yo bully was way out of line. She'd have been better off contacting the child's parents if the problem was ongoing.

FTR...I was bullied, but nobody stood up for me. I'd have been pretty happy if they had.
I was bullied too, and I would have wanted to die on the spot if my mom walked onto the bus and slapped another kid. It would have made the rest of the year even more hellish than it already was. Instead of being the kid accused of picking her nose and eating it (was publicly accused by a girl on the bus in 1st grade, I didn't do it, but I never lived it down) I would have been the kid who picked her nose and ate it AND had a batshyte crazy mother.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I was bullied too, and I would have wanted to die on the spot if my mom walked onto the bus and slapped another kid. It would have made the rest of the year even more hellish than it already was.
I wasn't really saying I'd have wanted my mother to get on the bus and smack the little brat. I'd never have wanted my mom to show her face in my school or on the bus at all, actually. Some other method would have been vastly preferable.

Still, I cannot really blame this mother for acting on instinct. Nothing pisses a mother off more than watching her child be treated badly by other kids when they haven't done anything wrong

Bullying sometimes gets severe enough to warrant adult intervention. We've all surely heard enough stories about bullied kids being pushed to the brink of suicide.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:09 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I don't know.... It looked like she didn't slap him that hard it was just enough to get his attention. I think with todays PC world the courts will decide the mothers fate and she could actually go to jail. Back in the day a parent would grab or discipline a bad child but today that is a lawsuit waiting to happen. If it wasn't for the video we would have never heard about this. When the kid got home he would say to his parents, "Billy's mother came on the bus and slapped me" "why did she do that" his dad would say. "because I was hitting her son" the Dad, "you know you don't go hitting people" END OF STORY.

This is blown out of proportion and this mother is gonna be in big trouble over this. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events