U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 01:06 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,191,475 times

Advertisements

I don't care. I love dogs and cats, but if things get super tight, that cat that keeps coming around is going in the pot. People develop relationships with cows, swine, rabbits, as well, but its not as common in our culture and therefore its not taboo to eat them...Horsemeat is generally frowned upon in this country as well, but lets be real here; aside from conditioning the animal to be gentle and ridden, they are no different from cows. I'm sure you could train a cow to do the same thing given enough time and a few generations of selective breeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 01:07 PM

175 posts, read 142,850 times
I live with a house rabbit, who is NO different than a dog or cat. In fact, rabbits are sold as pets AND meat.

They are the 3rd most popular pet (after cats and dogs), worshipped by children, and also the 3rd most euthanized at shelters after people buy bunnies on impulse (and have no idea of the commitment involved - bunnies tend to live for 10 years or more).

Whole Foods is now selling rabbit meat, which is upsetting to many of us. I realize that rabbits are like every other animal, but
when you LIVE with an animal who is a family member, it's distressing to see them in the meat case.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:18 PM

4,245 posts, read 3,314,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeSanDiego View Post
I live with a house rabbit, who is NO different than a dog or cat. In fact, rabbits are sold as pets AND meat.

They are the 3rd most popular pet (after cats and dogs), worshipped by children, and also the 3rd most euthanized at shelters after people buy bunnies on impulse (and have no idea of the commitment involved - bunnies tend to live for 10 years or more).

Whole Foods is now selling rabbit meat, which is upsetting to many of us. I realize that rabbits are like every other animal, but
when you LIVE with an animal who is a family member, it's distressing to see them in the meat case.
Yes, but no one is forcing you to to buy or eat that rabbit meat. And...you shouldn't be given the right to stop others from eating rabbit meat.

But I absolutely agree with the law against cruelty, and that includes killing in the most inhumane way to get the "best flavor" of the poor dog. I also agree with laws against eating endangered animals too. In fact, I care more about that because whale meat and sea turtle meat are from declining numbers of precious wild animals.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:22 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,858,306 times
I think this us horrible and should never legal. I think any immigrant selling or buying this should be immediately deported.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:59 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeSanDiego View Post

I did not know that Whole Foods was selling rabbit meat. I have had rabbits as pets. I hope this does not catch on.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:09 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Since this is predominantly an asian thing, whatever happened to "cultural sensitivity"?

Can we call those opposing the measure racist?

We have a PC car-wreck in this one....should be fun to watch.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:21 PM

2,581 posts, read 1,382,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I've long had this idea for a chain of restaurants that only serve horse and dog.

The name?

Hoof 'n' Woof, of course.

But my wife says I might want to reconsider my business model...
I once had the idea of opening a chain of restaurants that served whale blubber and baby seal -- Chez Quinn L'Inuit. You see all kinds of ethnic cuisine, but how often do you see Eskimo restaurants? Plus I thought we could give a lot of immigrants steady work, dressing them up in parkas to wait on tables -- how many people can tell an Eskimo from a Mexican?

My wife nixed it too.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:47 PM

4,245 posts, read 3,314,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Since this is predominantly an asian thing, whatever happened to "cultural sensitivity"?

Can we call those opposing the measure racist?

We have a PC car-wreck in this one....should be fun to watch.
Hong Kong has a law against eating dog meat, but that's a holdover from the British colonial days. South Koreans love dog meat, and during the Olympics in1988, the government had to force dog meat restaurants to shut their doors for two months so that foreigners wont be offended.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:02 PM

104 posts, read 178,252 times
Is this thing even widespread or just a feel good campaign by people with nothing else to do?

Old 03-04-2015, 04:28 PM

30,411 posts, read 9,092,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Seems to me the best way to stop this underground black market is to legalize it.

Why is it okay to eat a pig but not a cat or a dog?
Because in this country, we have laws that protect domesticated animals, that's why. They may be running out of cats and dogs in China, but people will not tolerate that here. You can make book on it.

That melting pot is quickly turning into a chamber pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or