U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:26 PM

9,999 posts, read 4,242,537 times

Advertisements

Signed!

I have no problem with anyone consuming cat or dog meat, but intentional torture and stealing pets is where I draw the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 10:43 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,112,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Sadly, when they tried to ban the ripping off turtle shells by the asian markets in San Francisco, the same argument was used to continue animal torture.

Americans should demand that others be sensitive our culture! Companion animals shouldn't be subjected to torture.
How about no animals should be subjected to torture?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:51 PM

29,634 posts, read 31,979,723 times
I have no moral issue with meat eating so I can't stand here and say it's worse for a dog/cat than it is for a sheep because it's not. I don't want ANY animal tortured or hurt, but it seems to me the right way to do it would be through legalization with regulations and oversight. "Underground" anything leads to the worst possible situations. Legality combined with a generous helping of social pressure against eating cats/dogs would be ok too and might cut into the business. Foreigners can feel the heat to conform, that's always ok.

I love my cats but I'm also aware of the over populations of our companion animals. There is probably a middle ground here somewhere but most people won't want to accept it.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:07 AM

1,256 posts, read 877,372 times
The topic of this thread is all the reason in the world for us pet lovers everywhere to keep our companion animals indoors only

This is especially relevant for cat owners. I will never ever let my cats roam freely outside ever again!!!

Old 03-05-2015, 02:26 AM

9,307 posts, read 5,806,418 times
Even if you have no objections to eating dog, it's still rather respectful to American culture. You know the old saying "when in Rome, do as the Romans do".

Old 03-05-2015, 09:19 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Signed!

I have no problem with anyone consuming cat or dog meat, but intentional torture and stealing pets is where I draw the line.
Thank you for signing the petition. Torture of a living creature is wrong there is no excuse, nor is it okay to steal somebody's loved domestic pet.

I would further caution those who must find loving homes for pets to not advertise them for free on craigslist. I had thought the only danger was from people wanting to sell them to laboratories for animal testing or for bait dogs for dog fighting but this is now a new danger. Anyone advertising a pet should not offer them for free charge, a re homing fee even if it is not that much. Please.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:27 AM

49,034 posts, read 39,482,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Even if you have no objections to eating dog, it's still rather respectful to American culture. You know the old saying "when in Rome, do as the Romans do".
That attitude is now viewed as non-inclusive and "racist".

Not my personal views but there are those in the media and political sectors that push that theme constantly.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:33 AM

49,034 posts, read 39,482,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
The topic of this thread is all the reason in the world for us pet lovers everywhere to keep our companion animals indoors only

This is especially relevant for cat owners. I will never ever let my cats roam freely outside ever again!!!
I was pilloried, censored and deleted in a cat lovers thread over that very sentiment.

It was in a thread with a bird lover that had been shooting cats that had been killing the wild birds etc. that he'd attracted to his feeder.

Frankly, they just could not see how their allowing their cats to roam free lead to the deaths of things other people enjoyed and any dissenting viewpoint was evil. They didn't even see the parallel if someone allowed a dog to roam that killed cats....then that dog should be put down in their opinion.

I don't worry about it too much around me though. We have a nice coyote and fox population now. Anyone in my neighborhood that lets their cats roam, it's not an "if" it's a "when" for that cat to get taken out. (Owls too, if hungry would nab those cats and we have those as well.)

Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 AM

51,443 posts, read 50,689,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I was pilloried, censored and deleted in a cat lovers thread over that very sentiment.

It was in a thread with a bird lover that had been shooting cats that had been killing the wild birds etc. that he'd attracted to his feeder.

Frankly, they just could not see how their allowing their cats to roam free lead to the deaths of things other people enjoyed and any dissenting viewpoint was evil. They didn't even see the parallel if someone allowed a dog to roam that killed cats....then that dog should be put down in their opinion.

I don't worry about it too much around me though. We have a nice coyote and fox population now. Anyone in my neighborhood that lets their cats roam, it's not an "if" it's a "when" for that cat to get taken out. (Owls too, if hungry would nab those cats and we have those as well.)
My four-year-old great-niece told me they'd had another cat but "An owl got him". I asked her teenage brother if that was true, and it was. Poor Charlie was eaten by an owl.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:40 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,731,337 times
An owl can take a fully grown cat? Or are we talking a little kitten? Geez better hide the dachshunds and chihuahuas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or